Ok, so I have a pair of fairly standard 3.5mm Stereo Headphones. I also have a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter allowing me to plug those headphones into my Blackberry. However, when I play music it still comes out of the speakerphone. Is there any way to change the output so that it comes out through my headphones?

I am using the media player that came with the phone.
    07-19-07 03:58 PM
    Ok, so I have a pair of fairly standard 3.5mm Stereo Headphones. I also have a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter allowing me to plug those headphones into my Blackberry. However, when I play music it still comes out of the speakerphone. Is there any way to change the output so that it comes out through my headphones?

I am using the media player that came with the phone.
    You are using the wrong adapter. For some reason the 8830 is really picky on the 2.5 to 3.5 adapters. I had to try 3 before I found one that worked. Here is the one that I got that works great Seidio Headphone Adapter
    07-19-07 04:16 PM
    I had to try 3 before I found one that worked. Here is the one that I got that works great Seidio Headphone Adapter
    Was one of the adapters that you tried from Radio Shack (model 274-004)? Just curious, because this is the one I just bought and I can't get it to play through my headphones.
    12-21-07 10:29 PM
    Had similar problem; The radio shack 3 stripe adaptor does not work. It was recommended to try the Seidio Standard Audio Adaptor for BlackBerry, bought it from here (Crackberry) and it works great.
    12-22-07 09:33 AM
    I reccomend you go grab a pair of Body Glove 2.5mm headphones. They have an adapter so you can use them with 3.5 as well.
    12-23-07 01:28 PM
    Just bought the Radio Shack 247-004. It does not work, the sound still comes out the back speakers. I wish I had read this forum first!
    03-12-08 02:22 PM
    The Verizon stores generally stock the appropriate adapter.
    03-12-08 08:19 PM
    Need your earphones or AUX input to work on your BB? Go here and get the adapter. I got it. It works. Never thought I would listen to my BB like an Ipod, but it's cool. They sent it to me in 4 days. www.
    seidioonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ADA%2DBB8100M35FST
    07-31-08 09:30 PM
    I'm glad I found this thread! I've been searching the web like mad for a solution because I was having the exact same problem. no one had any suitable answers.

turns out I have the exact same radio shack adaptor-- just ordered one from seidio and hopefully my problem will be solved.

thanks crackberry users!!!
    09-28-08 12:24 PM
    Yeah, I wish I had found this thread before going to radio shack. The store rep assured me the adapter would work. So I returned it and I'll check out one of the options listed in this thread.
    09-28-08 12:52 PM
    wish i knew bout this before i bought 3 adapters online lol.

are there any other brands other than seido? anyone know why only some work?
    09-28-08 01:44 PM
    I don't know who makes the Verizon one but others have also found it works since it was designed to be sold for the 8830, at least.
    09-28-08 03:50 PM
    Found a great set of adapters at Wal Mart this weekend. Scosche, I believe is the brand name...
    Only problem is that the 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter falls out of the phone fairly easily, not sure if this is a problem with the 8830 or the adapter being slightly too small.
    09-29-08 01:47 PM
    So I read through this forum and all I got was information about adapters and what not. I have a 3.5 to 2.5mm adapter and it doesn't work so I went out and bought 2.5mm headphones. It works but only in one ear! Is it just that the 8830 doesn't work with 2.5mm headphones or something?
    12-05-08 02:50 AM
    You need the correct adapter cable for the 8830 - not every 3.5/2.5 adapter works. Verizon sells one that works. They also sell a set of in-ear plugs that already have the right size plug but with an adapter to go the other way - Sony - nice woven cable cover.
    12-05-08 09:20 AM
    FYI, like a previous poster stated, Verizon has an adapter too that states is compatible with the 8830. I just ordered from their site, only $4.99 with free shipping.

Dijdit
    12-07-08 03:31 PM
    I just got my 8830 from work today. I already have a Plantronic headset/phone (the non-earbud, not "bluetooth-looking) type that has 1 earphone only, which I use on the right side. I don't know the size, but I remember buying a 2.5 adapter, so I could use it with my old Nokia phone (from early 2005).

I still have both the headset and the jack. If I buy the 2.5 to 3.5 adapter, like the Seidio one mentioned, can I still use the headset? I assume that the original headset is not 3.5 since it's pretty old, but I will check before buying the adapter. I want to have an understand of how this all works... probably won't look so good with two adapters, but it's for work, so I can do long phone interviews and not for music. I can also use it in the car, and it's tried and proven. I won't get reimbursed for it, so I don't want to spend more money than I need to.

My other question is whether I can get a plain ordinary one similar to my current headset that is already compatible w/the 8830. If so, which ones would you recommend? I'm specifically looking for one that is not an earbud style nor one that hooks onto my ear... across the top of my head is perfectly fine. :-)

Thanks.

A newbie
    Last edited by boltnut55; 12-13-08 at 03:54 AM.
    12-13-08 03:50 AM
    I bought bodyglove 2.5mm headphones from Walmart - work just fine (use the phone as MP3 player with jogging).
    12-15-08 08:36 AM
    Found a great set of adapters at Wal Mart this weekend. Scosche, I believe is the brand name...
    Only problem is that the 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter falls out of the phone fairly easily, not sure if this is a problem with the 8830 or the adapter being slightly too small.
    I bought these yesterday. I have a blackberry 8830 world edition, and the adapter only plays music in the right ear. It also pops the voice dialing up constantly.
    04-23-09 09:17 AM
    FYI, like a previous poster stated, Verizon has an adapter too that states is compatible with the 8830. I just ordered from their site, only $4.99 with free shipping.

Dijdit
    I couldn't find these on their website... can you post a link?
    04-23-09 09:23 AM
    I bought these yesterday. I have a blackberry 8830 world edition, and the adapter only plays music in the right ear. It also pops the voice dialing up constantly.
    Reason being for all this... Is that the plug on the headphone, is what they call a TRS or Tip-Ring-Sleeve. This gives three conductors that allow for left/right audio and a ground.

The jack in the 8830, also requires a mic connection, so THAT jack, is a TRRS Tip-Ring-Ring-Sleeve to give the extra 4th conductor for the mic. This moves the position of the conductors around a small bit on the plug.

Plugging the TRS plug into a TRRS jack, results in a misaligment of the conductors on the plug with the conductors in the phone jack. THIS results in audio from one channel only and also due to the misalignment, it can activate the voice dial function "if" the jack moves a little bit just the right way for a second. Sorta like what happens when you push the button on the OEM buds to activate the VD.

A typical stereo 3.5-2.5 adapter does NOT account for the different position of the mic conductor, hence why certain adapters work (appropriately designed ones FOR phones w/a mic), and others (deisgned JUST for headphones w/NO mic) that do not work right.
    04-23-09 10:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD