I upgraded my Verizon 8830WE yesterday.
    Is working fine. I am disappointed that the docs to go does not contain excel.

Here is what I did.

Downloaded OS 4.5
    The file I downloaded was "8830uAMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel138_PL3.4.0.7_A4.5.0.101.ex e"

Make sure you have Blackberry desktop manager V4.6 installed, then run 8830uAMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel138_PL3.4.0.7_A4.5.0.101.exe

This will extract the new OC to
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

Delete the file
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Vendor.xml

Connect your 8830 to your PC and launch Blackberry Desktop Manager.
    Launch the Application Loader, you will see OS V4.5 in there.
    Go through the list to make sure all the software in os4.5 is checked off. (DocsToGo was not)

Now follow the wizard, it takes about 30 minutes.

If it seems like your blackberry is taking forever to boot, don�t panic.
    Mine took 15 minutes, just when I thought it was f*&*ed, it completed the re-boot and started re-loading my address book etc.
    12-03-08 07:52 AM
    Is there any way to get 8830uAMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel138_PL3.4.0.7_A4.5.0.101.ex e without resorting to torrents? If not, I am inclined to wait for Verizon to release this in a manner that is a little better supported.
    12-03-08 08:12 AM
    I upgraded my Verizon 8830WE yesterday.
    Is working fine. I am disappointed that the docs to go does not contain excel.

Here is what I did.
    I see that you are a newb, and are trying to make contributions to this thread and commend you for that, but if you would have searched the Beta thread you would seen that there have been plenty of posts and feedback on this OS. Enjoy the forums...

Is there any way to get 8830uAMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel138_PL3.4.0.7_A4.5.0.101.ex e without resorting to torrents? If not, I am inclined to wait for Verizon to release this in a manner that is a little better supported.
    It doesn't appear that Verizon will release an official OS 4.5 for the 8830. A little bit of searching doesn't hurt...and no, you do not have to resort to torrents.
    Last edited by ediggity; 12-03-08 at 08:22 AM.
    12-03-08 08:16 AM
    Excel is available when you go and register the product and do the upgrade. Excel is part of the upgrade. It would be nice if they offered the three components, docs, excel, powerpoint-slide, separately.
    12-03-08 09:16 AM
    Sorry for posting a duplicate.
    I had gone through many forms looking for instructions on how to upgrade, but could not find anything specific. I must have missed it in the beta area I guess.

Thanks for the advice on the registration. I now have excel.
    12-03-08 10:36 AM
    Where can you download the OS 4.5 file to do this upgrade?
    Last edited by ScubaCA; 12-03-08 at 03:20 PM.
    12-03-08 03:16 PM
    Sorry for posting a duplicate.
    I had gone through many forms looking for instructions on how to upgrade, but could not find anything specific. I must have missed it in the beta area I guess.

Thanks for the advice on the registration. I now have excel.
    You sure you searched??? Lol

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/

I would take a look at the "How to" forum on the inital cb forums page to learn more before I go any further

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com.
    Last edited by ediggity; 12-03-08 at 05:30 PM.
    12-03-08 05:28 PM
    Thats Great but where do you download "8830uAMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel138_PL3.4.0.7_A4.5.0.101.ex e" file? Should I just type it into my search engine? The potato's are great now I'm waiting for the steak...
    12-03-08 06:48 PM
    It was link number 2 when I google for 4.5.101. Actually it was a link that appeared on a page I followed from the google search. The other 19 links on my screen all resembled some sort of scam with the words warez and torrent sprinkled liberally throughout the search results. By digging 2 links deep into link #2, I got my download from some place called mega something or other. No torrents were involved.

However... Before I go and do this... I gotta ask myself why...

Of all the pluses mentioned at PC Magazine - Computer, Software, Hardware and Electronics Reviews, Downloads, News and Opinion, there aren't any must haves for me on the list. All the ones that say S require server support. I'm on Verizon so it would appear that ain't gonna happen... Or wait... Did it already happen so Verizon Curves could run 4.5? Anyway, of the ones that aren't server based, they are pretty much don't cares for me...
    If you have any BlackBerry Curve or the BlackBerry 8820 or 8830, you'll get:

� BlackBerry Maps with Points of Interest (H)
    � Improved media player with playlist support and automatic playlist generation (H)
    � Voice note recording (H)
    � Video recording on Curve models (H)
    � Streaming support for YouTube and Sling Player (H)
    � Microsoft Office document editing with DocumentsToGo (H)
    � Native format attachment downloading (S)
    � HTML e-mails (S)
    � Over-the-air device upgrades (S)
    � Free/busy calendar lookup (S)
    � Searching the server for old e-mail messages (S)
    * BB maps with POI, yawn.
    * Improved media player? yawn.
    * voice notes? Ok I could use this one thing.
    * Video recording - sorry I'm on a cameraless 8830. yawn
    * Streaming youtube/Sling? yawn
    * MS office editing? had that on palm, all I need is view. yawn
    The rest are all server features...
    * Native format attachment d/l. sure it would be nice but the bb mail viewer works ok for this
    * HTML email - I already have a very nice 3rd party app for this
    * OTA upgrades? yawn
    * free/busy lookup? trust me i'm busy
    * searching old email? I have the gmail 3rd party app for this

I've also heard the browser is better. I can limp along with the browser I've got. Heck, I don't even bother with Opera Mini these days. So in the end I really must ask myself what there is to gain in running 4.5 versus the nice and stable 4.2.2.196 that came with my phone. I'm off to comb through some other 4.5 threads and see if I still feel the same way after reading them...
    12-03-08 11:50 PM
    It was link number 2 when I google for 4.5.101. Actually it was a link that appeared on a page I followed from the google search. The other 19 links on my screen all resembled some sort of scam with the words warez and torrent sprinkled liberally throughout the search results. By digging 2 links deep into link #2, I got my download from some place called mega something or other. No torrents were involved.

However... Before I go and do this... I gotta ask myself why...

Of all the pluses mentioned at PC Magazine - Computer, Software, Hardware and Electronics Reviews, Downloads, News and Opinion, there aren't any must haves for me on the list. All the ones that say S require server support. I'm on Verizon so it would appear that ain't gonna happen... Or wait... Did it already happen so Verizon Curves could run 4.5? Anyway, of the ones that aren't server based, they are pretty much don't cares for me...

* BB maps with POI, yawn.
    * Improved media player? yawn.
    * voice notes? Ok I could use this one thing.
    * Video recording - sorry I'm on a cameraless 8830. yawn
    * Streaming youtube/Sling? yawn
    * MS office editing? had that on palm, all I need is view. yawn
    The rest are all server features...
    * Native format attachment d/l. sure it would be nice but the bb mail viewer works ok for this
    * HTML email - I already have a very nice 3rd party app for this
    * OTA upgrades? yawn
    * free/busy lookup? trust me i'm busy
    * searching old email? I have the gmail 3rd party app for this

I've also heard the browser is better. I can limp along with the browser I've got. Heck, I don't even bother with Opera Mini these days. So in the end I really must ask myself what there is to gain in running 4.5 versus the nice and stable 4.2.2.196 that came with my phone. I'm off to comb through some other 4.5 threads and see if I still feel the same way after reading them...
    I find the v4.5 to be more forgiving in regards to memory when the 8830 starts running low. I don't notice any system lag till my free file drops down around 5.5-6.0MB. With the 4.2.2.196 the OS would start lagging around 10MB.
    12-04-08 06:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD