Ok, so since while overseas, my Verizon DNU keys were reset, I asked verizon for the unlock code for my 8830 and unlocked it. I then inserted a T-Mobile SIM card (I am roaming overseas, so the frequencies are ok). After much work on the phone with T-Mobile, I was successful in connecting to their GSM roaming partners here. However, I had the following issues:

- GPRS only (no EDGE)
    - Periodically the GPRS turns to gprs
    - Browser is missing
    - Link to set up BIS email is missing

Here are the steps I have taken (in every conceivable order):
    • "Register Now" under Host Routing Table
    • Resend Service Books
    • Battery Pull
    • Handheld Wipe
    • Downgrade to OS 4.2 (at the suggestion of RIM tech support - T-Mobile transfered me to them)
    • Erased Handheld Using JL_CMDER

The tech guy at RIM was totally stumped. Any ideas?
    12-07-08 11:07 PM
    I should add that the T-Mobile SIM card in my T-Mobile 8700g works just fine.
    12-07-08 11:07 PM
    It sounds like either T-Mobile doesn't have you account provisioned correctly for this phone or the phone isn't receiving all of the service books. There should be a service book titled "Blackberry Internet Browsing Service". If that is not there you won't get your browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-08 04:00 AM
    Yes, I see that my 8700 has that svc book and my 8830 not, which is funny, because TMobile and RIM said that all I needed was IPP for BIBS(IPPP). Time to call em again
    12-08-08 06:08 AM
    I didn't call them yet, but here's my question. If on my 8700 the provisioning is all correct, why would it be different when I put the SIM card in the 8830?
    12-08-08 06:29 AM
    I didn't call them yet, but here's my question. If on my 8700 the provisioning is all correct, why would it be different when I put the SIM card in the 8830?
    Which phone is the account provisioned for? I don't exactly know how the service books work 100% but it would not surprise me if certain phones need certain service books sent to operate at the given levels of the account provisioning. I know that if that service book isn't present on the 8830 you have no internet.
    12-08-08 11:20 AM
    Which phone is the account provisioned for? I don't exactly know how the service books work 100% but it would not surprise me if certain phones need certain service books sent to operate at the given levels of the account provisioning. I know that if that service book isn't present on the 8830 you have no internet.
    Well, T-Mobile does not officially support the 8830 (although they were trying their best to assist me anyway). How would I get them to properly provision it?
    12-08-08 11:39 AM
    That I wouldn't have a clue on. Possibly using the 8820 settings. I don't know. You might want to dig throught the storm threads and see what they are doing to get the stom on T-mob and ATT. You might be able to figure something out from them. Good luck with your endevor.

12-08-08 04:50 PM
    That I wouldn't have a clue on. Possibly using the 8820 settings. I don't know. You might want to dig throught the storm threads and see what they are doing to get the stom on T-mob and ATT. You might be able to figure something out from them. Good luck with your endevor.

Thanks. Though my endeavor seems to be over. I am currently back on my T-Mobile 8700g, and I told our bookkeeper to cancel the Verizon line. I am ordering AT&T service and getting a Curve (spent hours contemplating whether the cost of the Bold was justified, but I just couldn't do it). My wife is flying in to the US next week, so I'll have her bring it back. I'm going to try to sell the (brand new) 8830. Hope the fact that it's unlocked will bring in a few extra bucks.

Thanks for your help
    12-08-08 04:57 PM
    Thanks. Though my endeavor seems to be over. I am currently back on my T-Mobile 8700g, and I told our bookkeeper to cancel the Verizon line. I am ordering AT&T service and getting a Curve (spent hours contemplating whether the cost of the Bold was justified, but I just couldn't do it). My wife is flying in to the US next week, so I'll have her bring it back. I'm going to try to sell the (brand new) 8830. Hope the fact that it's unlocked will bring in a few extra bucks.

Thanks for your help
    What does the bold cost on the ATT network?
    12-08-08 05:18 PM
    $300 after rebates with 2yr svc agreement.
    12-08-08 06:01 PM
    $300 after rebates with 2yr svc agreement.
    I would have to say that is a little on the high side considering the storm is 199 after rebates on a 2 year contract.

12-08-08 06:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD