I'm connected to my companies BB enterprise server- lotus notes domino. Yet my BB is my personal equipt. I use it for work to help me stay on top of my IT activities - since i'm also parttime help desk. Is what I do on my BB seen on the enterprise server- does it keep track of my activities? Off hours I tryed to go to an internet site to download a internet chat software and my company's employee internet managment blocked me. When I'm not working, Is there a way to de-activate or log off the companies enterprise server- then log or re-activate back on when its time for me to work?
    I appreciate any information since I'm new to the BB world and the enterprise server function as it will relate to my BB being my personal equipment.
    I have a 8830 world edition BB. Thanks
    12-23-07 01:28 PM
    If you are getting your company's e-mail onto your BB, they you are on the BES. There is no way to disable the IT Policy they have pushed down - as soon as the BB reconnects to the network, it will get resent to the BB.

This is one reason why many companies don't allow priviately owned devices on their networks; once it is on the network (or BES) it is bound by the company rules....
    12-23-07 01:43 PM
    Thanks thats what I was afraid of.
    does it keep track of my activities?
    thanks
    12-23-07 07:11 PM
    Thanks thats what I was afraid of.
    does it keep track of my activities?
    thanks
    Depending on the version of BES, it could be tracking the following:

Websites using the "BlackBerry Browser"
    Phone numbers/call length - conversations aren't recorded
    Emails through the BES (work emails) - The BES doesn't record the emails, but your Domino server does.
    PIN messages - full message history
    Office Communicator/Enterprise Communicator messages - tracked on the LCS Server (or whatever the Domino equivilent is)

Now, this being said, just cause it is being tracked (or could be), doesn't mean anyone is monitoring it.

The only way to disable your BES account is to remove your account, and wipe your BB...you'd then have to re-activate when you wanted back on.
    12-23-07 08:16 PM
    Since I'm a BES Admin, let me say this. Once you connect a BlackBerry to BES, everything is monitored, period. But, it's really down to the repective BES admin what they monitor. I only monitor emails and internet traffic. Most users are blocked by out I.T Policy from downloading certain things. If they want certain programs, we download it, and have it sync to the said device...

As you may have already noticed, there is a thread on how to remove an I.T. Policy (for people who buy Blackberry's from eBay and the likes). If you follow this, once you've re-connected to the BES server, within the hour, you'd get the I.T. Policy pushed to your device again.

My point being, don't follow said thread....
    12-24-07 08:02 AM
    Naviwilliams
    My feeling is that I don't mind because it helps me with my IT work- I doesnt bother me as much that every text message and emails and browser internet sites are showing up because its my own personal equip.

When you think about it what I do on my BB could paint a picture the wrong message- you think? or would they care since its my own device?

Naviwilliams -as an administrator- do you have users that have their own BB?
    would you recommend a user who owns there own BB to use it like I have descibed in my original post?
    12-26-07 09:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD