Earlier today, I kept getting "unable to connect to the internet" no matter what app I was trying. The signal indicator was 1xev. Now, I am able to connect w/o a problems and the signal indicator says 1XEV. Both earlier and now had all 5 signal bars. Is there a difference between 1xev and 1XEV? Does it have anything to do with the "unable to coonect" message?
    02-08-08 07:38 PM
    Yes there is a difference between 1XEV and 1xev. 1x is the connection to the network. The "ev" portion of it has to do with whether or not you're on EVDO speeds. The difference between "EV" and "ev" is whether or not the Blackberry is connected to the Blackberry Data network. No connection to the data network means that you won't get email or browsing on the BB. So, if you're 1xev, you're on the network and at EVDO speeds, but the BB cannot connect to the carrier's Blackberry data provisioning network, so anything that requires a data connection won't work. Usually a battery pull will fix this, but if the problem is because the carrier is just having some issues, then it won't fix it. I've sometimes run into this very late at night. It usually lasts a few minutes and then comes back up. It happens so close to the top of the hour and so late at night (between 12-2am) that I've chocked it up to carrier maintenance. It also doesn't happen all that often either.
    02-08-08 08:55 PM
    What fixes this problem for me is turning the connections off, then back on. By doing this, I can avoid the 3 1/2 minutes it takes my 8130 to reboot.. I hope that works for you too.
    03-13-08 09:27 PM
    What fixes this problem for me is turning the connections off, then back on. By doing this, I can avoid the 3 1/2 minutes it takes my 8130 to reboot.. I hope that works for you too.
    Thank you for posting this. I hate the long boot up time for my 8830, and this seems to have fixed my temporary problem.
    11-27-08 07:58 PM
    Sometimes that long boot time is all that you needed to wait for the network to come back online. But it gives you something to look at while it is actually comming back online.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-08 03:46 AM
    Just wanted to post that this morning I had the "1xev" and it was not something I had experienced before. I did a battery pull and it didn't work, but shutting off connections and then back on seemed to solve it.
    12-05-08 09:18 AM
    Happened to me tonight. I was unable to connect to the web using the bb browser. I was, however, able to connect using Opera Mini. After I reset my device, the problem was fixed as stated from previous posts.

12-21-08 10:04 PM
    Just wanted to post that this morning I had the "1xev" and it was not something I had experienced before. I did a battery pull and it didn't work, but shutting off connections and then back on seemed to solve it.
    How did you shutting off your phone??
    04-11-09 07:57 AM
    That happens to me quite frequently too. Usually resetting the connection in Connection Manager works. Sometimes I have to do it twice. It usually happens when I'm at home. When I'm out and about, it doesn't usually happen. I wonder if signal strength has something to do with this.
    04-23-09 09:37 AM
    whew scared me this happened to me this morning on my tour and i was clueless. turned of network and connnections and back on and didnt work. but trust old crackberry was here to save the day. did a soft reset and it worked like magic. thank you
    07-22-09 09:50 AM
    ok, I've discovered a reboot sequence that pretty much solves everything short of a corrupted/damaged OS.

1) turn radio off (bluetooth, wifi, network, EVERYTHING)
    2) pull battery
    3) as soon as your fingers can reach it, press and hold the power button for about a minute
    4) release the power button, and insert battery
    5) boot up as normal
    6) don't forget to turn your radio back on!

Don't ask me why, but sometimes holding the power button during a battery pull seems to fix what a normal battery pull doesn't. (or maybe its just doing 2 battery pulls in a row that fixes it and pressing the power button really doesn't do anything!)

Anyways, hope this helps someone...
    11-21-09 08:31 AM
    What problems have you experienced that could not be solved by a battery pull, but were solved by your additional steps?

11-21-09 09:43 AM
    ok, I've discovered a reboot sequence that pretty much solves everything short of a corrupted/damaged OS.
    Anyways, hope this helps someone...
    Do you have to do this while standing under a ladder with a black cat walking by? Smoke and mirrors...LOL
    11-21-09 05:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD