Hi all,

I just picked up my new BB 8830WE. I was a Treo 650 user up until this afternoon. I love the 8830. The only problem I have is seeing the dial pad. I know there is a voice dial option, but was wondering if there were any third part apps that allowed you to dial on the screen using the track ball. Seems like an easy app to build.
    03-02-08 02:14 PM
    Welcome to CB! But I have no idea on your question.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-08 02:18 PM
    Welcome to CB! But I have no idea on your question.

Are there any third party applications that allow you to dial on the screen rather than using the buttons?
    03-02-08 02:21 PM
    Are you talking like a touch screen? If so, I don't believe so. I have never heard of one. The BB 9000 that is coming out sometime this year is rumored to be touchscreen.

03-02-08 02:26 PM
    Are you talking like a touch screen? If so, I don't believe so. I have never heard of one. The BB 9000 that is coming out sometime this year is rumored to be touchscreen.

No, I realize it couldn't be a touch screen. I was thinking an app could exist to dial on the screen using the trackball rather than squint to see the numbers on the keyboard. I am having a hard time seeing the numbers to dial.
    03-02-08 02:28 PM
    I know exactly what you mean Kalel, I was a Treo 700w user prior to my 8830we and I miss the dial pad as well. I haven't done an extensive search for an app that does this but I have seen a theme or two with a pic of the dial pad on it. The theme itself was not so nice so I did not look into it any further. I will keep searching and if I have any luck I will post it on your thread.

If anyone knows what we are talking about, "on screen dial pad" (the best way to describe it is it looks like the 8830's calculator. Open your calculator in your 8830, it looks like this screen except for a lot larger numbers without any symbols which allows you to use it to make calls. Instead of pushing the number keys on the Qwerty board you would use the track ball to scroll and click on the numbers) feed back would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by dpg2103; 03-02-08 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spelling :P
    03-02-08 03:02 PM
    I know exactly what you mean Kalel, I was a Treo 700w user prior to my 8830we and I miss the dial pad as well. I haven't done an extensive search for an app that does this but I have seen a theme or two with a pic of the dial pad on it. The theme itself was not so nice so I did not look into it any further. I will keep searching and if I have any luck I will post it on your thread.

If anyone knows what we are talking about, "on screen dial pad" (the best way to describe it is it looks like the 8830's calculator. Open your calculator in your 8830, it looks like this screen except for a lot larger numbers without any symbols which allows you to use it to make calls. Instead of pushing the number keys on the Qwerty board you would use the track ball to scroll and click on the numbers) feed back would be greatly appreciated!
    Exactly! Thanks for articulating it better than I!

03-02-08 03:04 PM
    Welcome Convert...You made a wise decision!
    03-02-08 09:04 PM
    Welcome Convert...You made a wise decision!
    Thanks! I hope so!
    03-02-08 09:52 PM
    kalel, I also switched from the Treo 650 to the BB 8830. I am much happier with the BB, but I have to admit that if I have to manually type a phone number (not one from my contacts), I still expect to see the phone keypad pop-up on the screen. It was a nice feature and I miss it, but I haven't found any 3rd-party work around---although I haven't looked too hard.

I've gotten so used to using the BB for my e-mails that I sometimes seem to momentarily forget how to actually use it as a phone, it's not as phone-intuitive as the Treo 650, at least IMO.

That aside (and the low ring volume), overall I'm still much happier with the BB 8830. It's much more stable.
    03-02-08 10:34 PM
    kalel, I also switched from the Treo 650 to the BB 8830. I am much happier with the BB, but I have to admit that if I have to manually type a phone number (not one from my contacts), I still expect to see the phone keypad pop-up on the screen. It was a nice feature and I miss it, but I haven't found any 3rd-party work around---although I haven't looked too hard.

I've gotten so used to using the BB for my e-mails that I sometimes seem to momentarily forget how to actually use it as a phone, it's not as phone-intuitive as the Treo 650, at least IMO.

That aside (and the low ring volume), overall I'm still much happier with the BB 8830. It's much more stable.
    So far I like it, but I am having a hard time seeing the buttons. The letters on the buttons are tiny and the blue back light on the keys doesn't help at all.
    03-03-08 05:36 AM
    Okay, so far I am really not liking the low ring issue. What's up with that? I set it on Loud and I can still barely hear it!
    Last edited by kalel; 03-06-08 at 03:57 PM.
    03-06-08 02:23 PM
    Is this a Verizon only issue? I have no problems hearing my ringer ever.
    03-06-08 02:27 PM
    welcome to crackberry...

sorry there is no app like that.

i am a former treo user myself...

can you increase the keypad brightness under options>screen keyboard??

-db
    03-06-08 02:36 PM
    Is this a Verizon only issue? I have no problems hearing my ringer ever.
    Possibly. I am on Verizon.
    welcome to crackberry...

sorry there is no app like that.

i am a former treo user myself...

can you increase the keypad brightness under options>screen keyboard??

-db
    I didn't see anything for that.
    03-06-08 04:01 PM
    No it's not a verizon only issue....sadly many people have a hard time with that...you can find some ringers that people have created with a higher volume to work around the problem.

Smaug - you must have freakishly good hearing
    03-06-08 04:01 PM
    Glad you made the switch! Welcome

03-06-08 04:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD