After fighting with the Treo for sometime I have made the decision to switch to the 8830. I could no longer deal with the continual freezes and lock ups on the Treo. I should be receiving my 8830 today and am excited to start the process of transferring everything over (ie, contacts, etc). Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    08-08-07 07:42 AM
    Nicely done!
    08-08-07 08:02 AM
    About two months ago I replaced my Treo 700W. I had been foolishly locked into Treo since the 300. To escape both the chains of the Treo and Windows was like lifting 1000 pounds from my day. It takes a few days to get use to the BB, but once you do, you will never go back. The systems works as advertised, with no lock-ups and little fuss. The trackball enables the BB to be a true one-handed system. I find I rely on the BB more since I do not have to drag out a stylus to do most things. I wish you a happy life with your BB. You truly have made the correct decision.
    08-08-07 08:41 AM
    I *was* a loyal palm user for over 10 years now (I have over a 1000 posts in one of the palm forums). I have tried almost every product they put on the market. I started with PDA/Phones with the first Treo and progressed to the 700p. About 3 months ago i decided to explore my options, and I bought a Cingular BB8800 and tried it out for a week. Took it back to the store and bought one on eBay because I needed more time to make up my mind, and 30 days were not enought for me. I did not want to have any regrets so I wanted to be sure that I wanted to leave Palm. Then, I went overseas for 2 months with my unlocked BB8800 and my brick I meant my Sprint Treo 700p. Throghout the 2 months I did not touch my 700P. I was shocked, I thought I would miss some of itrs functions or it may have something to offer that the BB did not, but I was wrong. When I returned I used the 700P for exactly 24 hours, the time it took for Sprint to ship me their new 8830, which is identical to the 8800 with an addedd CDMA support. I have never regreted this decision. The only thing I regret is not switching to BB earlier, like when the Treo 600 came out.
    08-08-07 09:09 AM
    I received my 8830. I need to wait for IT to set up my corp email. As a result I cant install the desktop software without them. So my question is, Can I go ahead and run the phone setup and set up my personal emails without any issues?

i do not want to install the desktop software and mess it up. I am 95% we have a BES but I do not know if the install will ask for any other info specific to the BES that I will not be able to answer.

Thanks
    08-08-07 11:01 AM
    Well, I am all set up and I must say I really like this blackberry. Being a long time Treo user I wasn't sure if I would like the switch, So far I haven't looked back. It is great to have a device that simply works right out of the box. Man, no lagging, no issues at all. It took me about 2 days to stop trying to touch the screen to select things. I didn't realize how much I did use the touchscreen However, I am comfortable with the trackball. There are still somethings I am getting used to, for example the way you search for numbers in your address book. In the Treo I could enter the initials of the first and last name and find someone fast. With the BB I have to spell either the first or last name. Not a big deal just different. So far the voice dial is not working very well for me. still playing with it. I am still getting used to the way email is handled on the device and viewed. So far the BB web browser does not deliver like the Treo Blazer browser. It seems to be a WAP browser on steroids but I am still playing with it. I have installed Opera Mini and am evaluating it as well. The ringer volume is lower on the BB. I really like that I can easily set up profiles. This is truly a fantastic feature. I really like the fact that the BB knows when it is in the holster and out. Very nice feature. The SMS threading is different than the Treo and I miss the way the Treo threaded each conversation separately.

My next event is setting up custom ring tones and adding media to the BB. Looking forward to it.
    08-10-07 03:39 PM
    i had the 700p as well andow have the 8830. the trackball was easy to get used to...the calendar is great...theonly thing i miss frm the700p is the keyboard wen i am typing long e-mails. it is very hard for me to see the numbers/letters in certain lighting...and the keys re close together.

but i consider te 8830 a temp phone until vzn gets the curve. i had te curve on att for a month and loved the phone...not te service.
    08-10-07 05:42 PM
    Nice decision! I've had a regular cell phone for years and I've had two Palm-powered devices - a Sony Clie (which was great!) and my current Palm TX. Even though I have never been a Treo user, I know what it's like to use a Palm PDA and I never even considered a Treo. You won't regret getting a BlackBerry. It's completely solid and you can actually do two things at once on a BlackBery (unlike my TX, which freezes if I try to play music and use Wi-Fi at the same time). You'll love it!
    08-10-07 05:47 PM
    i had the 700p as well andow have the 8830. the trackball was easy to get used to...the calendar is great...theonly thing i miss frm the700p is the keyboard wen i am typing long e-mails. it is very hard for me to see the numbers/letters in certain lighting...and the keys re close together.

but i consider te 8830 a temp phone until vzn gets the curve. i had te curve on att for a month and loved the phone...not te service.
    I agree with you. The keyboard does not compare to the Treo. I am also waiting for the curve as I would like the camera and better keyboard. Unfortunately we may be waiting for some time as VZW never moves fast. Who's idea was it to backlight in blue this keyboard?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-07 05:56 PM
    I just put my Treo 700p down for a new 8830. I have used Treos for the past 2-3 years, starting with a 650 model - all through Sprint. I found the Treo to be an excellent phone, however when I started to used my 8830 yesterday, I felt like a caveman coming out of a cave seeing the moon for the first time. It seems more modern, sleek and fit for the current day than my old powerbrick 700p. I am still wondering if I will miss the camera, however, the 1.2mp camera on the Treo was simply horrible. It was only good for taking pictures if you are into blur. I went to Europe recently for 2 weeks, and when i got off the plane and turned on the Treo in Paris and got the 'No Network Found' message, i was in a slight panic - realizing I was dependent on phone cards and land lines. I put the Treo away and pulled out my digital camera and never thought about the Treo again - although frustrating to not be able to use it in Europe.
    I'm going over to Asia for over 2 months on business this fall - and that is what prompted me to make the move. Glad I am on Sprint, and I can pop in a prepaid Singtel SIM card in Singapore, and i'm on my way at .12/min USD. I love the push email, and not having to wait for apps to switch or open. My 700p was really reliable and rarely needed a reset. It would crash on Blazer a few times, however I think it was due to javascript or heavy scripting on the pages.
    I am also wondering how I will get by without touchscreen, but its an adjustment. I shouldn't be driving and thumbing the dang phone anyway for directions - but now I have GPS - which is absolutely fantastic, especially that i'm riding a motorcycle more these days.
    I was really surprised how easy it was to set up my email - and messages unfortunately began to come in very quickly lol.
    I'm really happy about my change and looking forward to using the phone overseas.
    Last edited by plsqldba; 08-11-07 at 09:54 AM. Reason: wrong words
    08-11-07 09:48 AM
    you can actually do two things at once on a BlackBery (unlike my TX, which freezes if I try to play music and use Wi-Fi at the same time). You'll love it!
    Excellent point - multitasking is key. I spent about 20 minutes clicking on an app on the home screen, thinking the BB was broke - then I realized it was multitasking! What a concept for us Treo users.

BTW the keyboard doesn't bug me vs the Treo one. I find it to be very similar for me and I actually prefer the BB more flatter keys to the more rounded separate keys of the Treo. I only wish BB put the period/dot "." on its own without hitting ALT.
    08-11-07 10:00 AM
    I totally agree.

It would be great if the period and the @ would be on solo keys.

That would make life a lot easier!
    08-15-07 06:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD