verizon will switch your trackball for free if the phones under warranty....
    09-07-09 08:03 PM
    Sprint sent my mom a new 8830 after hers wouldnt scroll up.
    They didnt even ask for the old one back. So I cleaned it and used it for quite a while.
    09-12-09 01:14 PM
    Canned air usually works for me. You can also use a damp...NOT WET cloth and roll the ball around with it and that will work too.
    09-12-09 02:45 PM
    Toothbrush worked great! I just had a minor panic attack because there is no verizon store within an hour an a half of my school, gotta love crackberry.
    09-20-09 09:49 PM
    Before I knew how easy it was to replace a trackball, I let a relative pay $50 for a replacement and install. I feel dirty.
    09-24-09 01:59 AM
    Just tried the alcohol and toothbrush methods and now it works. Thanks
    10-15-09 04:52 PM
    I just went through the same problem. It's not worth the hassle of trying to clean it. Just make sure that you get all ur info out. they are able to transfer phonebook, but not appts. etc. And don't forget your pix.
    10-19-09 08:19 PM
    I've been trying to find solutions for my Bold, as the trackball wasn't clicking at all, tried cleaning with the toothbrush and alcohol and that fixed it.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! APPRECIATE THE HELP!
    06-20-10 04:02 PM
    wow... its been 13 hours since trackball stopped scrolling up and after trying everything i gave up. but this morning i found this site and a lil toothbrush and i'm back in business. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!
    08-22-10 07:58 AM
    yayyy.. the toothbrush trick worked
    though I don't have the electric one
    10-11-10 08:17 PM
    Toothbrush trick worked for my Tour 9630...thank you!!

Thanks Chaz.... it didn't work, but something else DID. I got an old toothbrush, put it over the trackball, pressed the bristles in a bit and kept turning the toothbrush around the trackball.

The trackball is working fine now. It's apparent that it's dirty inside.

Bye bye sweet red 8830!
    10-18-10 03:32 PM
    Well today, my trackball won't scroll up. I've issues with my Bold 9000 trackball before, but I was always able to use my thumbnail and push down to clear it.

Not today. I've tried everything: thumbnail, canned air, toothbrush, rolling on a clean surface, battery pull, prayer , etc....

I was scared to do the alcohol thing but as a last ditch effort I dipped the toothbrush into the alcohol and shook it once. Then I went to town on that thing....it did correct the up problem for which I'm thankful, but the trackball doesn't work as smoothly as it used to.

Thanks to all of the Crackberry forumites!

Bruce
    12-19-10 02:00 PM
    I would honestly suggest replacing the phone if possible. RIM has stopped offering support for the 8830 WE quite some time ago. I had one as a company issued BB with Verizon Wireless, and both RIM and VZW, stopped offering any support for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-10 02:05 PM
    i completely thought my Blackberry 8330 was messed up....but the toothbrush trick worked just fine.....thanx
    01-03-11 12:28 PM
    Today I noticed my trackball was having a hard time scrolling left, so I finished the text I was in the middle of and turned the phone off, ready to clean the assembly for the third time. The first two times worked fine, q-tip, canned air, a little alcohol, and I was back in business within 5 -10 min. This time after two attempts at cleaning and a battery reset, I was still having issues. I noticed someone mention a toothbrush helped them, so I took my electric toothbrush with a new head, applied to alcohol to the trackball by q-tip, then let the toothbrush go to town on my trackball. By this, I mean really go to town, I was mashing the bristles and scrubbing up, down, left, and right. Suffice to say my trackball hasn't worked this good in months, I am almost sure that I will never take the assembly out of the phone again unless I see a clicking issue arise. But for me, the toothbrush was the key. Good luck.
    AMAZING results, improved the feel of the scroll, response and improved clicks.

wow. kudos and + Thanks
    02-03-11 03:22 PM
    I was starting to freak out because I use my Tour for work. I coordinate approx 30 nurses in a schoool district and that's how we stay in touch since I am in and out of all 10 schools. So simple....I feel dumb, LOL! The Alcohol on a Q-tip worked like a charm! Thanks!
    04-04-11 07:50 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD