I can scroll around just fine but when I try to press down in the center to select, nothing happens. Been using the return key as enter for a few months now in hopes that it would come back.

I've come to the conclusion that it's not lint or dirt for the following reasons:

1. I've popped it out, cleaned it, nada.
    2. I'll go a whole month without it working, then for a day, it'll work just fine. Next day, dosn't work again.
    3. As soon as select stops working, keyboard starts acting funny (Can't press 2 keys at once, such as Shift + <letter> and sometimes certain letters act as "Send" which is really weird)
    4. I've sent in my phone, they sent me a new one, and same exact problem. It works for a few weeks then litterally, over night, stops working.
    5. Two of my friends had the exact same problems, but they had Pearls, I have the 8830.

I'd hate to turn it in for a 3rd one. Anyone else have this problem and figure out how to fix it? Been looking around and have seen another guy with the same problem, but no solutions. Verizon's pretty good about sticking to their warranty, so it wouldn't be hard, but it's more of the whole, My parents think that I broke it because I'm too rough on it thing. I'd like to solve it without another lecture on taking care of my things. I feel like I've take really good care of this phone, and the fact that it has happened (with 100% EXACT same symptons) makes me feel like it's not my fault.

Any advice would help. Thanks!
    03-12-08 03:29 AM
    that is just a fault of a mass produced electronic device. if the phone doesnt look beat up then its prob not user faulted. i would just suck it up and have them exchange the phone for you, since the sensor is probably bad and thats why you cant get any action out of the press down.

just have the verizon tech explain to your parents that it was not user error, and device error, and there ya go!
    03-12-08 06:36 AM
    Definetly not a user issue. I am on my 3rd phone now and all 3 have had the same issue. It is really getting monotonous to have to keep swapping phones. This will be my 4th in a 6 month time span. Not a very good reliability rating for such an expensive phone.
    03-15-08 11:59 PM
    I have the same problem with my parents!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-08 05:22 PM
    You could always just get a new trackball. I'd porbably do that because switching BBs that often just seems like its would be annoying.
    03-17-08 09:15 PM
    I have the same issue with my trackball on the 8830 World edition via SprintPCS. I honestly think I'm over the Blackberry if this is a known constant issue. The Blackberry is pointless without the trackball functionality. I removed the trackball and inserted a trackball from my work Cingular 8830 and I can scroll, but cannot use the trackball as an "Enter" option. I removed my Sprint insurance 3 days before my trackball dies. Talk about bad luck.
    03-18-08 02:09 PM
    Definetly not a user issue. I am on my 3rd phone now and all 3 have had the same issue. It is really getting monotonous to have to keep swapping phones. This will be my 4th in a 6 month time span. Not a very good reliability rating for such an expensive phone.
    you would at that point have the option to change phones, like to a different BB i would hope. maybe youd have better luck with the 8703e
    03-18-08 05:13 PM
    I am having this problem too. Same exact symptoms. The only thing is I used that qpst program on my phone...Did you use this program on your phone?
    03-18-08 05:58 PM
    I am having this problem too. Same exact symptoms. The only thing is I used that qpst program on my phone...Did you use this program on your phone?
    No, but the odd thing is, Verizon customer service told me to wipe my phone and after I did, as it was supposed to, it was set to factory default. No texts, contacts, anything, BUT! the Facebook application wasn't removed. I kind of wonder if perhaps the facebook application is the cause of all this turmoil?
    03-18-08 10:50 PM
    I never had the facebook app installed...I did go skiing with my phone and although it never got wet it was very cold out...That is when I started having the problems. BTW Verizon sent me a new phone out overnight.
    03-18-08 11:00 PM
    You now how some people can't wear watches and react to jewelrey? You might be reacting to your phone. Sounds silly and mystical, but it might be the answer. Your body might make some electric signal that makes your phone act up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-08 11:09 PM
    I don't use facebooks- yet. I try to wait awhile on popular apps to see if the majority of the users have not had any problems.
    03-18-08 11:16 PM
    Just called in for my new one today. Verizon's pretty good about getting them to you the next day, at most the day after, so tomorrow or the nextday I should be getting my new phone! This time, I'm not backing anything up. Starting over from scratch. This way there's no chance of copying the problem over... Maybe I'm just over paranoid about it, but this is getting ridiculous...
    03-19-08 11:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD