Got my new 6gb sandisk microsdhc card in the mail today, put it in the phone it showed 5.6gb of free space, formated in my 8830 so i'd have the correct folders and all for transferring music, now it says 1.6 gb free space... when i use the usb card adapter for my computer it shows 1.6 gb free space. Doesn't seem to matter if i format the card in my computer or phone... any advice??? thanks all
    09-25-07 09:39 PM
    Please don't double post questions. I deleted your post in the other thread.

Now as far as your issue, are you saying you have absolutely nothing on the card, but it says only 1.6gb is free?
    09-25-07 10:09 PM
    i put songs on it, and still showed the max space was 1.68 gb and then shows less free space available (ie the size of the songs) i then reformated it again which deleted the songs but still has a max size of 1.68 gb, when i attempt to reformat the card on my computer the only capacity option is 1.68 GB, the file system choices are FAT and FAT32 and the "allocation unit size" only has the option of "default allocation size" any ideas?

essentially i'm guessing i can't format it correctly with the correct volume size
    Last edited by Trevor; 10-23-07 at 07:12 PM.
    09-25-07 10:18 PM
    That's what it sounds like to me. Might want to try and contact SanDisk for help.
    09-25-07 10:23 PM
    checked every aspect of their website with no luck, on top of that it's downloading very slowly

i don't know if it's just me but i can't seem to find any advice online to help solve this problem... this is more frustrating than anything else, i'm sure there is a solution, i'm just impatient
    Last edited by Trevor; 10-23-07 at 07:13 PM. Reason: merged posts
    09-25-07 10:40 PM
    Don't they have a toll free number to call?

Try looking through this: gethuman 500 database
    09-25-07 10:53 PM
    Better yet, here you go:

NORTH AMERICAN TECHNICAL SUPPORT

1(866) SAN.DISK (North America)

1-866-726-3475
    7 days a week:
    4:00 am. - 10:00 pm. (PST)
    7:00 am - 1:00 am (EST)
    SanDisk gr�vi Music Card
    1-866-783-7811
    SanDisk Cruzer Freedom USB Flash Drive
    1-800-839-8265
    SanDisk Cruzer with U3 Smart USB Flash
    1-866-248-4498
    SanDisk Extreme Memory cards
    1-866-270-5532
    09-25-07 10:56 PM
    Where did you get the card from? I'm only asking because from my personal experiences in buying a 4gb Mini SD on eBay for my old XV6700, I was duped into buying a bootleg. These jerks format the disks to say something larger than what is actually on the disk. Either that or the format was messed up when you stuck it into the BB.It may have only formatted it to the max that can be supported by the BB itself?
    09-26-07 12:27 AM
    I've had my 8830 for a month now. I seem to recall reading in the specs for it, that the max memory it can handle is 4GB. It stated this in the manual provided with my device.

I may be wrong, but I remember reading this before I purchased my micro SD card.

Cheers
    09-26-07 04:09 AM
    If that were the case, you'd think it would at least recognize 4GB of it. Have you tried formatting it using your PC first, then inserting it into your BB and doing it again?
    09-26-07 05:22 AM
    I purchesed this from Buy.com an authorized seller of SanDisk and yes I've tried formating this card with my pc. It clearly shows the 1.68 gb of free partitioned space and another 4 gb of unallocated space but I don't know how to delete the partition (the option to delete partition is light grey, hence not clickable). It clearly is a 6gb card I just don't know how to format the entire card and not just the 1.68 partition if this makes sense to anyone. Suggestions would be appreciated.
    09-26-07 09:02 AM
    When you formatted the card on your PC, was it in the BB or a media reader? Did you do a Quick or Unconditional format?
    09-26-07 09:28 AM
    i formatted the card on the blackberry which i'm guessing created this partition at 1.68 gb for some reason and now it can't be deleted... sandisk phone support had no solution... they said "we'll get back to you with a higher level support's response or we have your information and we'll replace the card. I'm surprised no one else has run accross this problem with cards of size 4GB or higher.
    09-26-07 10:07 AM
    What O/S are you running on your PC? If you are running XP or later your might try going into Disk Management and removing the partitions from the SD card and try formatting it again.
    09-26-07 10:48 AM
    You can take pictures, front and back, of the card and email it to their support address. Include the serial number on the card (I needed a strong magnifying glass for that!)

They sent me an email back telling my card was authentic.

Good luck.
    09-26-07 01:26 PM
    Is it possible your PC's media card reader does not read cards that large? What OS are you running on your BB?
    09-26-07 01:57 PM
    i'm running windows XP and i tried disk management and the "delete partition" option is in light grey which means it's not available for some reason. SanDisk said they would do a merchandise return which I'm sure will be a huge pain, but they don't seem to have any solutions.

amazing fix, SDFormatter V2.0 from panasonic formated the microsd card for me correctly so now when I put it in my BB it shows the 6GB size... the question now is how do i get the blackberry folders without formatting it on my BB which i suspect limited the size to 1.68GB in the first place
    Last edited by Trevor; 10-23-07 at 07:15 PM. Reason: merged posts
    09-26-07 02:27 PM
    That's a good question. Can you create them manually by choosing "New Folder"? If not, perhaps now that it is partitioned correctly, the BlackBerry will be able to format it properly. You could try it, and if it doesn't work, reformat with SDF again. I know a lot of folks here will definitely appreciate you being a guinea pig for this, if you can get it to work.
    09-27-07 05:19 AM
    yeah curiosity got the best of me and i tried using the BB to format it again and it did the same thing, 1.68GB partition labeled "BlackBerry", had to reformat it with the panasonic SDF program and back to the 6gb non partitioned size... i'll stick with manually creating the folders I guess
    09-27-07 08:44 AM
    Hmm, that kinda bites. Thanks for going through this, though! Perhaps an OS upgrade in the near future will fix that.
    09-27-07 11:27 AM
    ... i'll stick with manually creating the folders I guess
    Maybe I missed seeing you say it, but did manually creating the folders make it work correctly in the BB once you formatted with the 3rd party app?
    09-28-07 04:18 PM
    i think yes, but i'm having some trouble working with the media player, i made a thread about it but no one seems to have any answers... i'm not sure if it's a folder issue (if i drag folders of songs into the microsd card, sometimes they work most times they don't and i'm not sure if it's a format issue or what... but ultimately i think just manually creating the folders worked
    09-28-07 09:39 PM
    Got my new 6gb sandisk microsdhc card in the mail today, put it in the phone it showed 5.6gb of free space, formated in my 8830 so i'd have the correct folders and all for transferring music, now it says 1.6 gb free space... when i use the usb card adapter for my computer it shows 1.6 gb free space. Doesn't seem to matter if i format the card in my computer or phone... any advice??? thanks all
    My situation is exactly the same (except I have a 8300 curve)- same microsdhc card, same behavior (1.6 GB partition). I followed the advice given earlier and reformatted with SDFormatter v2.0, this gave me the full 5.6 GB on the partition, but I'm still stuck because the Media Manager (from BB Desktop Software version 4.4.2) won't let me see the contents of the media card. It actually shows up in the "My Devices" list in the bottom left of the screen, but unlike the "Device Memory" storage which I can expand, the "Media Card" storage cannot be opened.

Some interesting notes:

- when I originally reformatted using the blackberry (the action that made the partition only 1.6 GB), and then took the microsdhc card out of the blackberry and put it in the USB adapter, I noted that my XP OS recognized the format as FAT. However, after reformatting using the SDFormatter tool (and thus creating the 5.6 GB partition), the my XP OS showed the format as FAT32 (actually it originally showed it as RAW, but after removing and reinserting still in the USB adapter, it showed FAT32).

- when I put the microsdhc card back in my blackberry and connect the blackberry to my computer, the harddrive is recognized (and assigned a drive letter), but if I try to browse the contents of the blackberry using Windows Explorer the format is not recognized and I am asked if I want to reformat (I chose no). Similarly, in Computer Management>Disk Management the microsdhc's partition is recognized as "healthy" but the file system is unrecognized.

I don't know if the problem is that the format is FAT32 instead of just FAT, or if the issue is with the Media Manager software or what. Frustrating...
    10-03-07 02:30 AM
    i formatted the card on the blackberry which i'm guessing created this partition at 1.68 gb for some reason and now it can't be deleted... sandisk phone support had no solution... they said "we'll get back to you with a higher level support's response or we have your information and we'll replace the card. I'm surprised no one else has run accross this problem with cards of size 4GB or higher.
    For what it is worth -

Sprint BB support says the only card supported by the 8830 is the 2 gig card.
    10-03-07 12:20 PM
    For what it is worth -

Sprint BB support says the only card supported by the 8830 is the 2 gig card.
    Quote from the BB8830 description from Sprint

Micro SD Card slot: Increase memory
    by up to 2GB with Micro SD card (sold
    separately).
    10-03-07 12:29 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD