Is there a way to set the 8830 to automatically change time to match watch zone you are in?? Every cell phone I have had did......can get this one to do it??
    07-12-08 08:33 AM
    Unfortunately a big oversight on RIM's part .. You have to change it manually. Be careful though because your calendar appts will change as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-08 08:40 AM
    Here is a thread by jeffH that explains RIM's reasoning for this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/blac...e-zones-46190/
    07-12-08 08:47 AM
    ...You have to change it manually. Be careful though because your calendar appts will change as well.

True, but misleading. The appointments will change to remain correct if entered in the correct time zone initially. See my post, referenced above by Tyroni.
    07-12-08 02:38 PM
    True, but misleading. The appointments will change to remain correct if entered in the correct time zone initially. See my post, referenced above by Tyroni.
    Please, for the love of all that is good and moral, put your Time Zone explanation in your thread!
    07-12-08 02:39 PM
    Please, for the love of all that is good and moral, put your Time Zone explanation in your thread!
    Thanks for the encouragement. Let's see if this works...
    07-12-08 02:53 PM
    Or they could just search the forums..:eek
    07-12-08 03:39 PM
    Unfortunately a big oversight on RIM's part .. You have to change it manually. Be careful though because your calendar appts will change as well.

See ..... this just IS NOT an oversight. As hard as they worked on it and as well as it works, it is not an oversight -- it was done by intent.

Let me give an example. I'm in the Eastern time zone of the USA -- GMT-5. But we're on daylight savings time so we're really like in GMT-4 for the summer. I'm traveling to India next week. India is 9 1/2 hours ahead of EDT, or GMT+5.5 -- and they are not on DST. Normally GMT-5 to GMT+5.5 would be 10 1/2 hours difference, but with DST 5 + 5 1/2 = 9 1/2. (new math)

So when I was setting up my appointments for my trip to India next week, I could do it in Outlook, set up a second time zone in Outlook, and work to make sure that my 8:00am Monday India meeting is set up right, but when I look at it in Outlook it says 10:30pm Sunday -- omg I hope I got that right.

The one I REALLY hope I get right is my flight back home. 00:20 hrs India time Thursday am IST, but Outlook says 2:50pm Wednesday. Now there's NO WAY I want to miss that appointment. So ..... I hope Outlook, my timezone converter, and my brain all synchronized the right way.

OR -- I could simply go into my Blackberry, create a new appointment for 8:00am Monday morning, select the timezone of that meeting, and save. Likewise, create the most important event of 00:20hrs IST Thursday for my departure, select India timezone, and save.

I look at the calendar, and see those events in EDT like I explained above. (In the comments section I make an entry "00:20 local time" as a reminder to myself for when I want to compare to my itinerary that has departure times in EDT and arrivals in IST or vice versa).

BUT -- when I land in India, fire up the Berry before the plane stops rolling, select the network that works for voice and data, all I have to do is tell the Berry what time zone I am in, and all my events now show on my BB calendar as the CORRECT TIME AND DATE for India.

Including my plane ride home.

AND -- my conference calls that I scheduled in EDT before I left now show up at the right time of day in India time IST, so I know when to call back to the office.

However -- when I fire up my computer, all the events are still in Outlook, still in EDT. When I tell Outlook to change time zones, I hope it does it right -- anyone who lived through the change in start and end date of DST in 2007 knows how well Outlook handles time zones and DST -- and there's a 25% chance my schedule is right in Outlook.

Then travel to and from Europe where the UK is GMT-0, most of the continent is GMT+1, but some is GMT+2, and we never go on and off DST at the same time so sometimes the time differences are an hour different than those, and Outlook never seems to have those DST dates right either .......

But my Berry has them right -- first time, every time, including my plane ride home.

So -- while many of those complaining about BB's not handling time zones like their cell phones, if you only travel across 2 or 3 times zones in the US, maybe you can translate across those, have no "with DST" and "without DST" to deal with (except in Arizona and northwest Indiana), have no half-hour differences in minutes of the hour -- then the BB approach may not SEEM logical, or even necessary.

But get off a plane after 19 hours in the air, completely upside down on body time, can't remember in the fog of jet lag whether to ADD or SUBTRACT 9 1/2 hours for 4 flights, 3 taxi cabs, and 5 meetings for the day ....... then making ONE selection of a time zone when you land and knowing every important event on your calendar is EXACTLY right is a god-send.

Including the departure time of the flight home.

And, if you scheduled your pick-up back home while you were in India using your Berry, then you will be on time for it back in the good old USA -- after you make one more time zone selection as the plane rolls toward the jetway.

It's really very simple.

And effective.

And it works -- perfectly.

And, it gets me home on time.
    07-12-08 04:12 PM
    This debate can go on an on. Some folks think it is perfect others, myself included, think it is not perfect. But no matter what you think, we are stuck with it.

For that India appt, I would have to guess a country (subcontinent) has many time zones. When quickly setting an appt , _I_ would not know what zone is what. Frankly, even here in the US, I don't necessarily know what time zone Montana is in or is it split? Indiana - is it still split with Gary on Chicago time? I would much rather be able to set my appt (or flight) for say, 9:35am and not have anything automatically move the darn thing because I changed the timezone when I arrived.

But, again, that's me. And we are stuck with it as Rim has created it.

Although, someone mentioned that instead of tweaking the timezone, if you just change the time, it will not alter appts but I have not tried that yet.
    07-12-08 10:06 PM
    See ..... this just IS NOT an oversight. As hard as they worked on it and as well as it works, it is not an oversight -- it was done by intent.

Let me give an example. I'm in the Eastern time zone of the USA -- GMT-5. But we're on daylight savings time so we're really like in GMT-4 for the summer. I'm traveling to India next week. India is 9 1/2 hours ahead of EDT, or GMT+5.5 -- and they are not on DST. Normally GMT-5 to GMT+5.5 would be 10 1/2 hours difference, but with DST 5 + 5 1/2 = 9 1/2. (new math)

So when I was setting up my appointments for my trip to India next week, I could do it in Outlook, set up a second time zone in Outlook, and work to make sure that my 8:00am Monday India meeting is set up right, but when I look at it in Outlook it says 10:30pm Sunday -- omg I hope I got that right.

The one I REALLY hope I get right is my flight back home. 00:20 hrs India time Thursday am IST, but Outlook says 2:50pm Wednesday. Now there's NO WAY I want to miss that appointment. So ..... I hope Outlook, my timezone converter, and my brain all synchronized the right way.

OR -- I could simply go into my Blackberry, create a new appointment for 8:00am Monday morning, select the timezone of that meeting, and save. Likewise, create the most important event of 00:20hrs IST Thursday for my departure, select India timezone, and save.

I look at the calendar, and see those events in EDT like I explained above. (In the comments section I make an entry "00:20 local time" as a reminder to myself for when I want to compare to my itinerary that has departure times in EDT and arrivals in IST or vice versa).

BUT -- when I land in India, fire up the Berry before the plane stops rolling, select the network that works for voice and data, all I have to do is tell the Berry what time zone I am in, and all my events now show on my BB calendar as the CORRECT TIME AND DATE for India.

Including my plane ride home.

AND -- my conference calls that I scheduled in EDT before I left now show up at the right time of day in India time IST, so I know when to call back to the office.

However -- when I fire up my computer, all the events are still in Outlook, still in EDT. When I tell Outlook to change time zones, I hope it does it right -- anyone who lived through the change in start and end date of DST in 2007 knows how well Outlook handles time zones and DST -- and there's a 25% chance my schedule is right in Outlook.

Then travel to and from Europe where the UK is GMT-0, most of the continent is GMT+1, but some is GMT+2, and we never go on and off DST at the same time so sometimes the time differences are an hour different than those, and Outlook never seems to have those DST dates right either .......

But my Berry has them right -- first time, every time, including my plane ride home.

So -- while many of those complaining about BB's not handling time zones like their cell phones, if you only travel across 2 or 3 times zones in the US, maybe you can translate across those, have no "with DST" and "without DST" to deal with (except in Arizona and northwest Indiana), have no half-hour differences in minutes of the hour -- then the BB approach may not SEEM logical, or even necessary.

But get off a plane after 19 hours in the air, completely upside down on body time, can't remember in the fog of jet lag whether to ADD or SUBTRACT 9 1/2 hours for 4 flights, 3 taxi cabs, and 5 meetings for the day ....... then making ONE selection of a time zone when you land and knowing every important event on your calendar is EXACTLY right is a god-send.

Including the departure time of the flight home.

And, if you scheduled your pick-up back home while you were in India using your Berry, then you will be on time for it back in the good old USA -- after you make one more time zone selection as the plane rolls toward the jetway.

It's really very simple.

And effective.

And it works -- perfectly.

And, it gets me home on time.
    You took the words right out of my mouth! Great answer!
    07-12-08 10:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD