Is there anything better than Go-Sim for UK use?

I used Go-Sim for my last trip to the UK and my wife was unable to call me from the US. Going back to the UK next month.
    Any other recommendations? I would like to have the ability for data too.
    06-07-09 08:47 PM
    Verizon has their International Plan (or whatever it is called).

You pay (and I don't recall which) between $65-$69 per month for their DATA plan. At the same time you stop paying the BIS (if you have bis) $30 per month - so a net increase of about $35/month. Calls are $0.99/minute (at least in Italy and Austria - check for UK). Your phone number remains the same.

They will pro rate the charges so for two weeks, do the divide and multiply per day rate.

I guess the big thing is when in Europe, local calls are also $0.99 so you don't want to be on HOLD for any length of time. Calls to the US are .99
    06-07-09 11:30 PM
    yeah I knew Verizon was that way.

Just looking to see if there any other vendors besides Go-sim to go through.

LOL. .99/min. No way in ****
    06-09-09 03:03 PM
    google sim cards for Great Britain. I used the Verizon Sim Card. While it worked great I had a 400 dollar statement waiting for me at home. If you can live w/o data I would opt getting a local sim card. Be warned though, your phone will need a new local number so you'll need to call loved ones advising them of same. I local SIM card while in Spain, I know it's not great britain, would have cost me less than 40 dollars with no charges for calls within the coutry. Caveat: do your homework before jumping over the puddle avoiding nasty surprises.
    06-09-09 03:51 PM
    QWKSNKE:

Now that I've looked at the Go-sim site, I've got some questions for you, if you don't mind.

It appears to include DATA ability. Did you use data and did it work okay? I also see that there is a charge per WHATEVER amount of data. I'd have to get an idea if paying for the card, paying for data and then the charge of about $0.60 cents per minute (free incoming which I don't expect many of) is an overall better value than Verizon's unlimited data and $0.99/minute. I don't tend to use gobs of data - 42,811KB was in March.

The prices of calls vary between Austria (I may recall .55 and Italy/Germany both .60 per minute) but it is still not cheap.

Do you recall why your wife had trouble reaching you?

Edited to add: I see some reviews that the calling method might be convoluted. You call, it hangs up, then calls you back and then connects the call? Is that still their method if you know?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by F2; 06-09-09 at 07:10 PM.
    06-09-09 06:59 PM
    QWKSNKE:

Now that I've looked at the Go-sim site, I've got some questions for you, if you don't mind.

It appears to include DATA ability. Did you use data and did it work okay? I also see that there is a charge per WHATEVER amount of data. I'd have to get an idea if paying for the card, paying for data and then the charge of about $0.60 cents per minute (free incoming which I don't expect many of) is an overall better value than Verizon's unlimited data and $0.99/minute. I don't tend to use gobs of data - 42,811KB was in March.

The prices of calls vary between Austria (I may recall .55 and Italy/Germany both .60 per minute) but it is still not cheap.

Do you recall why your wife had trouble reaching you?

Edited to add: I see some reviews that the calling method might be convoluted. You call, it hangs up, then calls you back and then connects the call? Is that still their method if you know?

Thanks in advance.
    The data usage seems to be a new feature. It was not available in January of this year when I made my first trip.
    I was able to make calls using the method you mentioned in your post.
    For people calling you from the US there are different methods. They can call your number directly (which charges nothing on your wireless device) or they can reach you through a 866 'switchboard'. Seems like there was a third but I do not recall what it was.

I don't know if my wife made a mistake with either method or if it didn't work.
    However I was able to call without any problems (once I figured out the dial then hangup and wait for phone to ring process.

I was hoping that I might be able to find another sim card plan that worked a little easier
    06-09-09 08:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD