At the time I bought my 8830, the world-roaming capability was a minor point in its favor. (I didn't even have a passport!) Well, here I am off to Europe for a month this summer, so I've been trying to sort out the options. Sprint has international coverage - voice and data - nearly everywhere I will be at $1.29 a minute and $0.016/kb.

That's not bad, as I will be on vacation and will only need minimal voice and less data capabilities. I expect my costs at the above rate to be something under $200 for 19 days traveling.

Can I do better? I've glanced over the SIM offerings but none seem to cover Sprint, data, GPS or 3G. Is there a chip I can buy that will give me full coverage and moderate time for these at, oh, say, $100 or less? Or am I best off just remaining with Sprint for this jaunt?
    Last edited by NitroP; 03-05-08 at 01:35 PM.
    03-05-08 01:23 PM
    *bump* Don't everyone answer at once...
    03-09-08 01:18 PM
    This is probably old news for you since you posted in March but I'm in Europe now and loving my 8830 WE. $1.29 a minute's not bad. I've also been using data roaming and my costs so far (8 days) has been $32. The only thing that pisses me off is that Sprint doesn't support text messaging abroad which everyone uses over here.

Adam
    07-01-08 02:19 AM
    Get a pre-paid SIM card when you arrive for voice, this will also give you a regional number which some of your friends may appreciate.
    07-01-08 07:27 AM
    Not knowing what part of Europe you're traveling to. It will definitely be a good idea to follow dgully's advice. However - I am in Germany and I don't know of a mobile subscriber that has a prepaid SIM with data coverage.
    07-01-08 07:45 AM
    does Sprint not have an international unlimited data plan? I activated that from VZW when travelling and my total cost for data for 19 days was $64.99. I would highly recommend getting that rather than coming home and finding overage charges.

I also never used the voice while overseas - where I was, it was $2.49 per min - much cheaper to carry an extra cell with a local SIM.
    07-01-08 10:15 AM
    Is there a prepaid sim that has voice and data?? I'm going to Australia in a few weeks for 6 months and would love to still have my data.
    07-01-08 10:37 AM
    Not knowing what part of Europe you're traveling to. It will definitely be a good idea to follow dgully's advice. However - I am in Germany and I don't know of a mobile subscriber that has a prepaid SIM with data coverage.
    I agree. I was in Switzerland, Austria, Germany, and Czech Republic in late December, early January and I was hit extremely hard on Voice charges! I can't remeber about data though. I think I had applied unlimited International data, so I was alright there. Phone worked perfect though. This was the main reason I opted for my BlackBerry 8830 WE and not the Curve.
    07-01-08 08:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD