OK. I've got a friend who uses the world, and he's interested in trading me for my pearl. What should I do? I was all for it and it just hit me that the world doesn't have a camera. Any suggestions, opinions or thoughts are appreciated!!
    04-29-08 05:37 PM
    How often, if ever, do you use your camera? That would be a big deciding factor. I just came back to the Curve from the Pearl and believe me I will never go back to a BB without the full QWERTY! If you do this, I will bet dollars to doughnuts that you will never want a BB without the full QWERTY again.
    04-29-08 05:59 PM
    I had the same issue when i was deciding which BB to get. I decided on the 8830 and am extremely happy i did. It really depends on if you want the camera more or the QWERTY keyboard. Seriously the keyboard is clutch. I just use my digital camera for pictures which have a better quality anyways. Good luck in your decision.

Also you might want to see why your friend wants to switch to the pearl before you make a final decision.
    04-29-08 06:06 PM
    I recently got the Pearl and had it a few days. I didn't much care for the keys and how the overall bb felt. I switched to the World edition and what a difference. I can actually type on it, I can see the screen much better, and the overall feel is better. I kind of feel like picture taking should be left to actual cameras, so that wasn't much of a loss to me. The person at blackberry told me that the pearl was designed for 18-30 year olds that want the features of a traditional blacberry, but want something smaller and with a camera. Business users are staying with the traditional BB's. I vote world edition.
    04-29-08 08:55 PM
    before I took it back. No patience for the keyboard mechanism of the Pearl. 8830 hands down!!
    04-30-08 06:02 AM
    Most people say the camera and keyboard are your biggest decisions:
    1) Do you want a camera? I, like most people, have a digital camera...but how often do you have that with you in bar, on your lunch break, on a date (although a lot of us BB addicts probably take a movie camera on their dates ), etc. It is nice to have that extra "power" with you at all times with you BB.
    2) Keyboard? Why search for more keys when you don't have too? SureType has got to be the greatest invention since sliced bread...I resisted it for a while and now I don't know how I lived without it. It is FAST, and even with my fat fingers, I have no trouble hitting the Pearl's keys the way BB designed them with the "bump" in them.

I think one of the BIGGEST reasons to stay or switch, may be the size of the phone. I love my Pearl, but I do feel that it is just a tad too small to hold, especially when talking on it. I was used to a flip Razr and, opened, it was the perfect size to talk on and, closed up, it was the perfect size for in my pocket, which is where I like to carry my phone.

That said - The WE is way to big and awkward for me...my friend has one and I am just not sold on it. Another BIG deal to me is the ability to use the phone at night and, while the WE's blue keys are beautiful looking, the actual letters are much harder to see at night than the Pearl's.

I think the ideal BB would be a Curve size with SureType, but I am considered strange by most! Let us know what you decide to do.
    04-30-08 07:31 AM
    One MAJOR deciding factor for you right now should be the fact that the 8830 doesn't have OS 4.3+ yet so there's no support for streaming video or audio. That means no YouTube and other things online. You also loose your standard headphone jack, going down to the proprietary 2.5mm one.
    04-30-08 08:19 AM
    OK
    So I've decided to make the change. Going to switch this Friday. I'm a little nervous about a new sync with my powerbook, as I got pocketmac to work for me on the initial sync, then it was buggy every other time after that, duplicating appointments and some contacts. Hopefullly it will at least get me the initial sync, since I'll be overwriting the berry. I'll let you all know how it goes.
    04-30-08 08:56 PM
    OK
    A few hours into the change and I really like the WE. I realize now how much I've missed QWERTY, and I'm already enjoying the larger screen to watch my shows. Question...what's with the super quiet ringer volumes?
    05-02-08 06:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD