is it possible to send pics, videos, etc via bluetooth between two differnt BB's. I have the 8830 world edition and my buddy has the 8800 from Tmobile. Thanks
    07-30-07 12:21 PM
    Yes. Pair the devices using the Bluetooth app. Next, within the Media app, have the receiving handset to "Receive File", and the sending handset to "Send File". That's it.
    07-31-07 11:19 AM
    Thanks for the reply but I tried to pair the two phones and niether one of them noticed each other. Also, according to Verizon the bluetooth on the 8830 model is not for data sharing, only headsets and what have you?
    07-31-07 05:44 PM
    Thanks for the reply but I tried to pair the two phones and niether one of them noticed each other. Also, according to Verizon the bluetooth on the 8830 model is not for data sharing, only headsets and what have you?
    Verizon had a bad habit of crippling Bluetooth on their devices, but I thought they got busted and stopped doing that.

Go into the Bluetooth Options and make sure the phones are both discoverable (not hidden). You should be able to pair them fine.
    07-31-07 06:12 PM
    Actually it does work fine and dandy, I share files all the time with my buddy from TMobile (I'm on Verizon) and he has an 8100. Although I don't recall if you need to make them discoverable, it cant hurt. But yes, you can pair them, it is a bit quirky because the timing needs to be just right before both phones time out in searching for another to pair with.
    07-31-07 06:55 PM
    I'm pretty sure they have to be discoverable the first time they are paired. You can then choose to have the devices auto-authenticate for future pairings. Once they are paired, set one in recieve mode, the other in send mode like eduardjm said. We did this in my family (2 Curves and a Nokia 6126), passed files around for an evening. How lame are we?
    07-31-07 11:24 PM
    Also, in your bluetooth options and under "Services" make sure you have file transfer or something close to that. I am with Bell and they blocked that service so I can only send to other phones/carriers but not with those who are with Bell or Telus.

(NOTE: a friend had a PEARL with Rogers but didn't have the file transfer service and I tried to send a picture to him and it didn't work, you might also want to look into that. I thought carriers were the ones responsible for services over bluetooth but maybe the phone mfg. itself can also be one who controls them? I know for fact that Rogers/Fido allow file transfers and to see my friends PEARL not to to be able to rec/send on this BlackBerry struck me as odd.)
    08-01-07 03:45 PM
    Also, in your bluetooth options and under "Services" make sure you have file transfer or something close to that. I am with Bell and they blocked that service so I can only send to other phones/carriers but not with those who are with Bell or Telus.

(NOTE: a friend had a PEARL with Rogers but didn't have the file transfer service and I tried to send a picture to him and it didn't work, you might also want to look into that. I thought carriers were the ones responsible for services over bluetooth but maybe the phone mfg. itself can also be one who controls them? I know for fact that Rogers/Fido allow file transfers and to see my friends PEARL not to to be able to rec/send on this BlackBerry struck me as odd.)
    Are you saying that Bell blocks the receiving from anyone and only allows sending to Rogers customers?
    08-02-07 06:41 PM
    Verizon had a bad habit of crippling Bluetooth on their devices, but I thought they got busted and stopped doing that.

Go into the Bluetooth Options and make sure the phones are both discoverable (not hidden). You should be able to pair them fine.
    Im sorry if I seem ******** but could you give me detailed instructions in how to pair my BB 8830 (Verizon) with my buddies BB 8800 (tmobile). I swear I tried but no luck. Or even better tell me how to get videos on my phone. I own a mac, so I am unable to download the Desktop manager. So Ive tried downloading from my friends manager but the videos seemed really sluggish and slow. thanks for any help!
    08-02-07 11:11 PM
    Heh, I just posted this in another thread. I'm at work, so it's a bit generic. I can do it in excruciating detail later, if needed.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/blac...luetooth-3315/
    08-03-07 01:20 PM
    Are you saying that Bell blocks the receiving from anyone and only allows sending to Rogers customers?
    Bell blocks you from receiving from any phone (although I haven't tried file trasnfer with a computer). My sister is also with Bell and I am unable to send her stuff. It's the Bluetooth service that is disabled. Basically, whoever has the object exchange (OBEX) bluetooth service enabled, I can send to but no one can send me stuff because I don't have the service enabled on my phone, I am only to send stuff from my phone to another. It kind of sucks being unable to get stuff from other phones esp. since I don't got a camera and stuff...
    Last edited by BlackBerry.est08; 08-03-07 at 06:02 PM.
    08-03-07 05:59 PM
    Bell blocks you from receiving from any phone (although I haven't tried file trasnfer with a computer). My sister is also with Bell and I am unable to send her stuff. It's the Bluetooth service that is disabled. Basically, whoever has the object exchange (OBEX) bluetooth service enabled, I can send to but no one can send me stuff because I don't have the service enabled on my phone, I am only to send stuff from my phone to another. It kind of sucks being unable to get stuff from other phones esp. since I don't got a camera and stuff...
    The beauty of the BlackBerry as a device is that it gives you unprecedented control over your own operating system. Search the forums for threads about loading an upgraded OS onto your device. Mind you, I'm on AT&T, but surely someone has a better OS for Verizon 8830s that enables all the services. Verizon should not be allowed to control what you do with your handset locally. Bluetooth has nothing to do with and no impact on their network infrastructure.
    08-04-07 12:03 PM
    Never mind, I took into consideration to the above post so I decided to play around. I actually got someone to send me a file to my BlackBerry and it worked. There might be other ways to send files through Bluetooth, but I'll just post what I got to work. First, I paired my 8830 with a second phone. Before when files were unable to transferred, after pairing, I tried to directly send from the second phone where at that point, a message would pop up on the phone saying "service not supported". What I found out was that when you go load up media player > BlackBerry button > Recieve through Bluetooth. I had to tell my 8830 to recieve through Bluetooth to actually get a file transferred. So I guess Bell wasn't really crippling my Bluetooth services, I just had to do the necessary steps for a proper file transfer to be achieved.
    08-07-07 07:22 PM
    Hey guys I have tried the above and no luck,Im on the telus network I cant send or recieve files. I have looked under services in the bluetooth options and there is nothing that says file transfer. Is there a update for 8830's on the telus network?
    08-30-07 01:25 PM
    To get music and video on a mac you are going to need download Pocket Mac from the Black Berry website.
    09-17-07 05:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD