I got an email this evening from "[email protected]" to my non-BIS email account seeming to tell me I can update my 8830 automatically, presumably ota.

Does anyone know something about this? Without more, I'm reluctant to fool with it.

Here is what the email contained:

BlackBerry Software Update Notification

Update Today!

----------------------------------------------------

What else can your BlackBerry� smartphone do for you?

Find out when you update to the latest smartphone software! This free update is ready and waiting to help you do more with your BlackBerry smartphone. To update today visit BlackBerry - Update your Device Software

New ways to work and play!

* * Your BlackBerry device can now render HTML Rich Content email messages, including embedded images, external images, font formatting, paragraph formatting, and more. * You can edit and format Microsoft� Word files (97 � 2003) using Dataviz� Documents To Go. If you use a reduced keypad device, Documents to Go also provides support for the SureType and Multitap typing input methods * When you add a new meeting request, you can now check attendee availability for the day of the meeting and one week into the future. You can also check the availability of attendees for existing meetings. * If you use a BlackBerry� Pearl� 8100 Series device, a BlackBerry� Curve� 8300 Series device, or a BlackBerry� 8800 Series device, when you create a new playlist, you can now specify criteria that your device uses to automatically generate a playlist. * If you use a BlackBerry Curve 8300 Series device and you have a media card in your device, you can now record a video on your device. Note: Some features are available only if your device is associated with an email account that uses a BlackBerry� Enterprise Server that supports the feature. For a complete list of all new features, contact your wireless service provider or administrator. For more information about specific features, click Help on your device..

Get the most advanced BlackBerry Device Software to keep your BlackBerry smartphone performing at its best. To update now visit BlackBerry - Update your Device Software

Recently changed your BlackBerry smartphone? If you are viewing this message from your BlackBerry browser, you can automatically update your device information when you visit https://ufs.websl.blackberry.com/ufs...6C1CCE0FB48366.

Research In Motion

----------------------------------------------------

�2008 Research In Motion Limited. All rights reserved. BlackBerry�, RIM�, Research In Motion�, SureType� and related trademarks, names and logos are the property of Research In Motion Limited and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world.

You have received this message by opting-in to receive news and information about BlackBerry products and services from Research In Motion. To unsubscribe or change your subscription preferences visit https://ufs.websl.blackberry.com/ufs...6C1CCE0FB48366.

Research In Motion, 295 Phillip St., Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2L 3W8.
    04-16-09 09:40 PM
    Sounds like the same email people with other carriers received a while back. VZW is behind on updates for their users. I just use other carrier update instead of waiting for VZW to drag their feet. I feel 4.5.0.135 is the most current stable OS for your device. You can get it by following th "sticky" at the to of this forum.
    04-16-09 10:01 PM
    I checked. It's just 4.2.2.196 from Verizon.
    04-16-09 10:04 PM
    A case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand's doing?
    04-16-09 10:36 PM
    Or you can go through every service here:
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

Happy clicking!
    04-17-09 06:25 AM
    Sounds like the same email people with other carriers received a while back. VZW is behind on updates for their users. I just use other carrier update instead of waiting for VZW to drag their feet. I feel 4.5.0.135 is the most current stable OS for your device. You can get it by following th "sticky" at the to of this forum.
    I was curious about the email. I'm on Verizon, but run 4.5.0.135; I have 138 waiting in the wings, trying to decide if I want to do that upgrade. I just thought it a strange email and wasn't sure of its legitimacy.
    04-17-09 06:27 AM
    Anyone know what the update is suppose to do? I have it but I have not noticed anything different. This phone is on a government BES office so this might have something to do with but curious all the same.
    04-17-09 07:59 AM
    I checked it yesterday and it's just 4.2.2.196. It's a legitimate email, but not an upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 08:03 AM
    Apparently this is an update for BIS users through the DM software and not for BES users.
    04-17-09 08:32 AM
    Apparently this is an update for BIS users through the DM software and not for BES users.
    What is the difference between BIS and BES ?
    04-17-09 10:04 AM
    i got the same email, but am on a Mac today and can't follow the links. It bothers me that RIM is apparently announcing an upgrade to the 8830, but Verizon isn't making it available. Sure we can install another version of 4.5, but push comes to shove, they (Verizon) should get with the program (no pun intended).
    Last edited by macthenaif; 04-17-09 at 03:08 PM.
    04-17-09 11:05 AM
    BIS - Blackberry Interent service-which is standard email
    BES - Blackberry Enterprise Server-which is corporate email through Exchange or Domino servers.

04-17-09 11:58 AM
    I just plugged my old 8830 into DM and I got 4.5 from verizon!

Is this new or old news?

Edit. It was 4.5.0.138
    Last edited by p08757; 04-17-09 at 08:19 PM.
    04-17-09 08:15 PM
    BES - Blackberry Enterprise Server-which is corporate email through Exchange or Domino servers.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    04-17-09 10:10 PM
    I
    Is this new or old news?
    if it's OS 4.5 from Verizon it's new news!
    04-20-09 10:25 AM
    I went to the BB site but it insisted on Internet Explorer and then did an update over the web and, frankly, this messed up my Apploader application (after the fact, I kept getting "fatal error" messages under DM when I tried to load apps. I prefer the older manual method where I download the OS to my computer, install it on my computer and then run DM to install it on the BB.
    04-20-09 03:46 PM
    I just got off the phone with Verizon CS because of problems with my texting...at the end of the convo she told me that on the 22nd on their website they will have the new 4.5 for the 8830!
    04-20-09 04:12 PM
    I just got off the phone with Verizon CS because of problems with my texting...at the end of the convo she told me that on the 22nd on their website they will have the new 4.5 for the 8830!
    That would be cool. I already have 4.5.0.135, but it will do my OCD good to see it, or some variation of it, on verizons' site.
    04-20-09 05:41 PM
    Yeah, tailored to verizon needs I'm sure, haha... I'm cool wit the generics that are stripped down.

Will sure be interesting to see their release tho
    04-20-09 06:18 PM
    You deserve a prize for accurate information.

Update is now on vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry

04-21-09 07:29 PM

Don't forget BES for Novell GroupWise

(Hey I'm a GW Admin and we always get left out!)
    04-22-09 05:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD