Has anyone had experience replacing the 8830 WE silver keypad with the BlackBerry 8830 OEM black keyboard ?

This device is refernced at:
    forums.crackberry.com/f61/tools-needed-fixing-8830-we

I've read through the thread about tools needed to disassemble the 8800 but what if you just want to change the keypad on the 8830? And what if you lack technical skills...

I find the keys on the verizon 8830 WE too small, too close and too uniform - was hoping that this new keyboard, if relatively easy to install, might solve the problem.

suggestions please!
    10-11-07 04:31 PM
    10-11-07 05:16 PM
    Let me know if you decide to do the change, I have found all the parts to change it from all white to completely black. thats the front, back a keyboard.... everything. All together with the tools it will cost 58$. I think I am going to be brave and try this change. I read all the instructions and everything. Has anyone else done the full white to black ? How was it, and are you glad you made the change ?
    10-11-07 06:09 PM
    I find the keys on the verizon 8830 WE too small, too close and too uniform - was hoping that this new keyboard, if relatively easy to install, might solve the problem.

I don't see how you are going to solve these problems changing the color of the keypad. One glance at your phone will show you the 8800/8830 keys take up the entire space between the side rails, how could you get any that are bigger and further apart? As for being uniform you're right they don't have Braile markings on them but they do have ridges that let you feel your way across the keypad.

My suggestion is that unless you really like the looks of the black keys or are one of the many that have trouble with the blue backlight don't fix what ain't broke.
    10-11-07 06:28 PM
    Thanks to all!

Please forward to anyone on the forum who may have attempted changing the keyboard due to backlight.
    10-12-07 10:36 AM
    I replaced my entire housing with the black one, including keyboard. It was not very difficult and there are plenty of references on this forum and others about how to do it. Getting rid of the blue keyboard backlighting was great, and yes,the keys are the same size as the silver keyboard.
    10-12-07 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD