So, I have only had my BB for a couple days and as such hadn't installed any third party apps or done any mods whatsoever. I came across the Bell 4.5 posting and after some reading decided to give it a go. Everything went fine and I am very happy with it. Before the 4.5 install I read about the memory leaks so I decided to take a look at the sixe of my "File Free"; it was at 14.3M.

After the 4.5 install, and again without any 3rd party apps (except miniOpera) File Free is at 12M. Does that sound right? What could be using all the other memory?

Like I said I havent installed any extra so I am a bit confused. Any ideas?

THanks,
    Ed
    02-16-09 11:45 AM
    Uninstall Opera Mini and post back how much free space you have after that. If anything, by installing Bell's 4.5, you should see an increase in memory. One thing that was removed and took up a decent amount of memory were the wallpaper and I think the BlackBerry sample video was also removed and the OS was tweaked to free up even more memory. On average, you get around 3 MB of free memory.

If for some reason you're still unable to get back memory that you should've, I recommend searching for guides on how to free up memory. Even if you're able to only get around 17 MB of free memory, that would still be good as Bell's 4.5 OS does a good job of memory management as some have already noticed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-09 12:48 PM
    Agreed with above, and will also mention that after almost a couple years with 8830 that is about right on free memory. Around 9-10 with a few apps is consistent, even with older OSs. The Bell did give me a little back.

You're probably fine with that amount. If you keep Viigo running in background it'll go down slowly, but a pull every now and then makes it okay.

Cheers,

jas
    02-19-09 01:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD