Hey Guys,
    Im a newbie, so be gentle. I just got my first Blackberry, and I am overwhelmingly happy with it. However, I dont understand something. I'm using Gmail and having it pushed to my BB. However, when I mark something as read, or delete it on my Berry, it stays unread on the Gmail Server. I know that IMAP is the way to fix this, but how do i reconfigure my current settings on my BB to make it use IMAP and not POP?

Thanks,
    TBM
    07-26-08 10:28 PM
    Hey Guys,
    Im a newbie, so be gentle. I just got my first Blackberry, and I am overwhelmingly happy with it. However, I dont understand something. I'm using Gmail and having it pushed to my BB. However, when I mark something as read, or delete it on my Berry, it stays unread on the Gmail Server. I know that IMAP is the way to fix this, but how do i reconfigure my current settings on my BB to make it use IMAP and not POP?

Thanks,
    TBM
    Hi there,

I'm not an expert on BB's and don't thik they work that way at all, but if you go into you messages and then press the blackberry button and then select options > email reconsiliation you can select your gmail account and then choose 'prompt' from the second box down. That will make your !! Always give you the choice to delete your messages just on your BB or on the BB and server.

Robin
    07-27-08 03:37 AM
    ***Okay, I guess I can not help people out until I have 10 posts. No URLs for me.

A few things I have learned trying to use gmail with my new blackberry over the last few days are:

1) There is a tonne of info on this site.

2) How to turn on IMAP here: mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78882 . But something to consider is before with pop I got my email on my BB before my computere and after it took over 15 minutes at times.

3) There is a discussion somewhere about getting true push email with IMAP (no delay on some carriers somewhere because of specific carrier relationships with gmail). One confirmed seemed to have been Rogers here in Canada. Here is that discussion that I can not link for you: forums.crackberry.com/f3/blackberry-push-email-rogers-gmail-imap-fix-26986/

4) You can get rid of sent gmail messages coming back into your inbox by setting a simple filter at your service provider's blackberry site (I did not know these existed). forums.crackberry.com/f3/gmail-receiving-copy-sent-items-you-sent-your-blackberry-853/

5) You may want to download the GMail app, then you get some GMail features on the phone to use if you need.
    Last edited by Hewsinator; 07-27-08 at 12:47 PM.
    07-27-08 12:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD