Has anyone else experienced this?

Recently, when trying to open PDF attachments, after retrieving the document, all that shows up is a giant question mark. I have attached a screenshot as an example.

When receiving a text based PDF, you can opt to view the embedded text of the PDF, but not the "image" view, as the question mark is all that shows.

What's going on???

I'm on BES, by the way.

Thanks,
    Last edited by phoenixg; 08-27-08 at 04:46 PM.
    08-27-08 03:16 PM
    I can only think of two possibilities, neither very good. 1) whoever is sending you the attachment is playing a prank, and sending you a pdf of a question mark. Dumber things have happened. 2) reset your system. Alt-R.shft-Del. If that doesn't help, make a backup for insurance and pull your battery. Pulling the battery will reload your OS, and fixes a lot of problems. Rarely, it corrupts your OS, so make a backup first.
    08-27-08 10:37 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. I sent the document to myself from my desktop, so no pranksters here.

However, here's a new twist:

Send the document from desktop to BES address - Not working

but

Forward non working attachment from BES address on handheld to BIS address on handheld, and VOILA!

I spoke to my IT department, and they are not aware of any funny policies restricting PDF attachments.

Weird...
    08-27-08 11:59 PM
    Very strange. Are any other attachments showing these symptoms? BlackBerry Attachment Service gives both BES and BIS users the ability to open and view email attachments in the following formats: doc, xls, ppt, wordperfect, pdf, ascii, html, jpg, bmp, gif, png, and tiff, and the zip'd versions of these. You could try sending these to yourself and see what happens.
    08-28-08 12:08 AM
    Hey Jeff.

I have not experience trouble with any other formats, and as stated before, PDF's were working when I first received the device in April.

PPT is the other format that does not work. I get the same question mark.
    08-28-08 03:56 PM
    I think you have to look for anything that's changed since April. OS4.2.2.176 probably came on your device. Have you upgraded to 4.2.2.196? Or installed a beta OS? If you haven't changed anything, then the IT people must've, whether they realized it or not. Be sure you tell them that PPT has was stopped functioning as well. They may help them know what they did.

Are you having any other symptoms of BES problems? Old emails that reappear in your inbox, and can't be deleted?
    08-29-08 07:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD