Hi everyone-

I have had my blackberry for about a week - I love it and I am figuring out how to do what I need (it is very different from my old Treo 700w). I am used to being able to scan my Treo to see how much memory is in use on my phone and on my SD card. But it seems to be a mystery on the BB. I think I am downloading music and audible books to the microSD card but I have no way of knowing. Is there any equivalent of file explorer? BTW I use Pocket Mac to sync with my MacBook Pro so I am not using the Blackberry Desktop.
    When I connect the phone to my computer (in mass media mode) I see someting called No Name - Is that my Micro SD card? How do I tell how much space is left?

Thanks - and this Forum is so much more friendly than treoCentral!!!!!

katie
    10-02-07 10:42 PM
    Hi everyone-

I have had my blackberry for about a week - I love it and I am figuring out how to do what I need (it is very different from my old Treo 700w). I am used to being able to scan my Treo to see how much memory is in use on my phone and on my SD card. But it seems to be a mystery on the BB. I think I am downloading music and audible books to the microSD card but I have no way of knowing. Is there any equivalent of file explorer? BTW I use Pocket Mac to sync with my MacBook Pro so I am not using the Blackberry Desktop.
    When I connect the phone to my computer (in mass media mode) I see someting called No Name - Is that my Micro SD card? How do I tell how much space is left?

Thanks - and this Forum is so much more friendly than treoCentral!!!!!

katie

Hiya Katie,

Goto options/status that will tell you how much free space is left. Also if you go into options/Memory Card it will tell you the total and free space left on the MicroSD card.

Also welcome aboard BB-Land. As a former Treo user its a helluva-learning curve.
    10-02-07 11:21 PM
    Thanks for the help. I swore I had clicked through al of those bu I guess not. I also found in another thread that by clicking on the media icon, then menu/explore I could find wht was stored on my card.

Now the question, it looks like I only have 3MB free on my phone. As you know that was a huge issue on my Treo 700w - I had to do a soft reset in order to have enough memory to go to the Internet. Is there something I can do to free up memory? And are we talking storage memory here or program memory? I have only loaded one program (the Smart email beta which I like) and all my media are on my card. On the other hand it does not seem to be a problem. Should I be concerned with just 3 MB? Will I be able to load any other programs to the card?

I do fel like I have gone from a Treo power user to a BB baby.

Thanks
    10-03-07 07:07 AM
    Hey Katie,
    I have a question for you... (sorry no answer to your questions because I am new to BB too)... I have the PocketMac too on my computer because I use a MacBook.... how do you get pictures and music onto your BB from the pocketmac? I can't figure out how to do this. Thanks for your help.
    10-03-07 07:54 AM
    katiiegm,

here are some things that I've treid to decrease the memory issue.
    #1 Since I dont have a mac I am not sure how to update your phone OS on your phone. If you was on windows you would go to BlackBerry® Software Updates and download both the desktop manager and the Phone OS update for your 8830. Install the Desktop mgr 1st then the OS.

I know for a fact that you can go into the media and go to the videos and delete the default internal video that comes with the blackberry. You CANNOT delete the sample pictures in the pictures section.

#2 Hold down the ALT key and while holding in the ALT KEY type L , G, L , G
    then let go of the ALT and it takes you to the event log. You can clear the event log. And what I do is also not LOG anything.. In my humble opinion.. WHY Log anything that you do. I/We are not debuggers or programmers. Im sure theres a higher purpose for using this if you are hitting a very unusual snag and tech support wants to look at these logs.

#3. I know there is a memory leak in the OS portion of this phone and I hear they might fix it with a November release. What I installed to sorta get me by is a piece of software called MemoryUP. It helps monitor memory and if it goes below a certain threshold it will re-optimize the memory so you dont go to ZERO bytes.

When you go to ZERO BYTES your call logs, SMS messages disappear. I think thats horrible but I'm willing to live with this temporary issue until a fix comes out. After being on 4 Treo's that rebooted all the time this is a MUCH welcome change of pace.

Lastly they say you can pull the battery to regain the memory. Yeah this does work but its SO annoying to get that cover off. If you really have to. use a small finite flathead screwdriver. Jam it into the top portion of the silver part where it says MicroSD and unscrew it and it will just slide out. Do it gently of course so you dont damage that cover. Another alternative mesasure is to do a soft reboot like in windows (Control-Alt-DELETE). To do this you hold down the ALT - RIGHT SHIFT and hit the DEL(ete) key and it will reboot and youll get some memory back

Hope all this helps.

Good Luck!
    10-03-07 11:17 AM
    I swore I repied to these last twoposts but I did it from my BB and clearly do not understand the browser.

Thanks for the suggestions on memory - I deleted the video and recovered about 10 MB instantly.

With regard to how I get music and audible books onto the BB from my Mac, it is very easy once I realized that when you connect the phone to the Mac, you have to answer the question _ Enable Mass Media Storage? with a Yes. When you do that, in my case something called NoName appears in the Finder right under Macintosh HD. Then you simply drag the song or book file over to that icon. It starts to download immediately and goes directly to the micro sd card. when it is done - you eject NoName from the Mac Book and disconnect the phone.
    Hope this works for you.
    Katie
    10-06-07 11:39 PM
    Another thing that you want to try is to remove the battery when you are not doing anything on the BB and then put it in. If you are using the 8830, this helps too.
    10-09-07 04:18 PM
    I dont know what happened but i have a 8830we and when i hit call to get to my calls i have placed and or received there is nothing there. I went to options, but I dont know what im doing!!! can someone suggest something????
    09-18-08 08:11 PM
    I dont know what happened but i have a 8830we and when i hit call to get to my calls i have placed and or received there is nothing there. I went to options, but I dont know what im doing!!! can someone suggest something????
    Try this:
    Send button>BB Button>Options>Call Logging> choose your option
    I choose None
    09-18-08 11:20 PM
    1 Since I dont have a mac I am not sure how to update your phone OS on your phone. If you was on windows you would go to BlackBerry® Software Updates and download both the desktop manager and the Phone OS update for your 8830. Install the Desktop mgr 1st then the OS.

I use a Mac. The only way to upgrade the OS is to use the DM, which is windows only. You will have to use a PC to upgrade your OS. Your might be able to use Parallels running windows.
    09-18-08 11:31 PM
    Try this:
    Send button>BB Button>Options>Call Logging> choose your option
    I choose None
    I'm new BB too...I try above step. That's working perfectly. Thanks!
    09-18-08 11:48 PM
    1 Since I dont have a mac I am not sure how to update your phone OS on your phone. If you was on windows you would go to BlackBerry® Software Updates and download both the desktop manager and the Phone OS update for your 8830. Install the Desktop mgr 1st then the OS.

I use a Mac. The only way to upgrade the OS is to use the DM, which is windows only. You will have to use a PC to upgrade your OS. Your might be able to use Parallels running windows.
    I have and use a PC. How do you update the OS using the desktop manager? Which option do you select from the main screen?
    11-27-08 11:31 PM
    you have to download and install the new device software. a lot of us are running beta 4.5.0.77. once it is installed on your computer connect to desktop manager, select application loader and let it do its thing. it will load the new os for you.

Some argue using a program called JL Commander to totally wipe the phone first, essentially formatting the entire memory, and doing a total fresh load like that. I have done both, and have never ran into a problem with either option.

To the OP, I do know that 3 bytes is WAY low for memory. I try to keep mine around 15xxxxxx. with only 3 your BB has NO room to work and you will start loosing email, sms messages, call logs, and what not.
    11-28-08 12:56 AM
    you should also do a memory cleanup to speed the OS up a little. You can find this by following this path: options->options-security->memory cleaning->BB button->clean now. You can also set the device to clean on a regular basis from here. This is going to wipe out clipboards, caches and more.
    11-30-08 12:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD