I just got my first BB; an 8830 from Verizon. After a few days I am still struggling with the keyboard. I can't dial the phone by feel. I can't see the keys in low light. I can't even speed dial without getting some my glasses and finding some reasonable light. Emails are OK but as a phone it is not working for me. I am thinking about exchanging it for a Pearl. Does the Pearl keyboard act like a phone? I mean, are the keys large enough that it is possible to dial by feel?

Or, should I just give the 8830 more time?
    Last edited by sv_ted; 11-21-07 at 10:33 PM.
    11-21-07 10:23 PM
    Personally, I like the Pearl. the keys are bigger. However, you have the suretype to learn. Once you learn it though, it's great! Yes, it's called "The phone that really emails."
    11-22-07 12:47 AM
    Beg to differ here guys, I have the 8800 for work & I love it! Have the Pearl for private & not only does it have suretype it acts like a phone which to me defeats the object of having a BB!
    11-22-07 05:03 AM
    So how do you dial the 8830 in the dark or when driving? I have used the voice dial with my Bluetooth headset and that works fine but I don't always have my headset on. With my old phone the keys were big enough to dial by feel.
    11-22-07 11:03 AM
    I have the 8130 and the buttons really light up bright...does the 8830 not have a back-lit keypad? The Pearl is a delight to use even in complete darkness.
    11-22-07 11:09 AM
    I agree I really love my new 8130. Very nice. Phone form factor with just about every feature I could want. The internet on it is about as nice as it gets without having an iPhone. I have Opera and the default browser, both are very nice with the mouse.

Pearl 2 seems to be very easy to dial. I am still getting used to the suretype. It works fine when typing an email and I have no problem with it. The only problem comes when I need to type in a user name or password. You have to switch it back to multitap because most user names and passwords are not words in the suretype dictionary. I highly recommend trading up for the Pearl. The keyboard isn't hard to type on, but it works so much better when you are on the phone. Plus you get a pretty decent camera.

Just my $0.02, YMMV
    11-22-07 01:05 PM
    I agree I really love my new 8130. Very nice. Phone form factor with just about every feature I could want. The internet on it is about as nice as it gets without having an iPhone. I have Opera and the default browser, both are very nice with the mouse.

Pearl 2 seems to be very easy to dial. I am still getting used to the suretype. It works fine when typing an email and I have no problem with it. The only problem comes when I need to type in a user name or password. You have to switch it back to multitap because most user names and passwords are not words in the suretype dictionary. I highly recommend trading up for the Pearl. The keyboard isn't hard to type on, but it works so much better when you are on the phone. Plus you get a pretty decent camera.

Just my $0.02, YMMV

How does one switch to multitap mode from suretype and back again?

I've had the same problem of not being able to login using user ids and passwords because of suretype.
    01-03-08 01:22 PM
    How does one switch to multitap mode from suretype and back again?

I've had the same problem of not being able to login using user ids and passwords because of suretype.
    When you are in the typing "mode", hit your BB key (left of the trackball) and one of the options is "Switch to MultiTap"...just select it and "tap" away.
    01-03-08 01:43 PM
    I had the 8830 for a week or so, then I exchanged it for the 8130. For my experience, I can tell you that the 8130 is way better in almost everything, starting with the size. I had to carry the 8130 in my belt, because it is too big for a pocket, don't even imagine to put it in your shirt pocket. The SureType feature takes a day or two to master, but that is no problem. Yea, the 8830 has more power and if a little faster but not that much, the difference is almost unnoticeable. The pearl has a decent camera and a media player, and is very confortable to use with one hand. And for desctivate the SureType for imput the paswords and usernames you just have to press the button next to the place call button and select enable multitap. And if you write in more than one language, use shift and enter together and you will be swithing languages in no time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-08 01:46 PM
    If you not using your bluetooth headset you can press the button on the left side of the BB and do voice activation. Now that doesn't help if you don't have the number already stored but is helpful if your not wearing your headset. I use to have the 7130 BB, but I really love the new 8830. Good luck with your BB
    01-03-08 03:20 PM
    Get the pearl... Atlteast you can hear it ring, plus it's a powerful BLack berry for the size. I love mine
    01-03-08 03:28 PM
    I love my 8100 it's simply amazing. The suretype was a pain at first but once you get used to it it's smoothe sailing from there. I love the media player and the fact that I can stream youtune videos, receive emails, send sms and mms texts I just don't see how you could go wrong with a pearl.

-Mr. Wonderful

01-03-08 03:38 PM
    I hate my 8830 as a phone. I'd much prefer the curve.

01-04-08 04:13 AM
    I hate my 8830 as a phone. I'd much prefer the curve.
    Why do you dislike the 8830 so much as a phone? Just curious.
    01-04-08 06:13 AM
    yeah, me too. I just got one and really like it so far.
    01-07-08 11:54 PM
    I know this is an old post. I am a pearl 8130 owner. I love it. Altough the trackball is a bit of a pain when it doesn't want to roll. I have taken it out. I have recently just downloaded the new software it really not much different other then the screen, get a couple more icons example documets to go. Media player. Anyway I had to reset my suretype to turn it off. I hate it. Thanks for the info.
    12-19-08 01:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD