Alright, I'm a newbie here. I don't own a Blackberry yet, but I'm planning on getting one. I'm in the Army and I have Microsoft Exchange 2007. I'm planning on getting the Blackberry 8830 World Edition from Verizon. Now I need to know which data plan to get from them so that I can access my Exchange (Business) email but still get personal email as well, ie Yahoo. I have heard something about BES Express and was wondering if that would work with a BIS data plan from Verizon. Would BES Express even allow me to access my Exchange email? I have heard a lot about being an admin to use BES or BES Express and so I was also wondering if I got a BES plan from Verizon do I need special access to Exchange so that I can get my email from them? In other words can I use BES by myself or does it have to work through whoever my IT admin is? Sorry for this long and confusing email, but I hope someone will be able to help me. Thanks!
    04-05-08 10:17 AM
    You will need to get a BB unlimited data plan from Verizon.

The BES account will be set up by your work IT.

You will be able to setup your BIS account(s) from Verizon's BIS website:
    https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

Welcome, and there are many strings on this subject here if you have other questions on the subject. Just do a search. The Verizon CS should be able to help you out when you buy you BB.
    04-05-08 11:44 AM
    You can access your Exchange mailbox via BIS alone... you don't need BES or BES express just for that. However, there are some limitations, like not getting all your inbox subfolders and not being able to wirelessly sync your calendar and contacts, but you can plug in and use Desktop Manager to sync those form time to time as needed. One very important piece of info that you need is whether or not your Exchange sever is accessible from the outside world (i.e. Internet). If you have OWA (Outlook Web Access) capabilities to your Exchange server, then you'll be fine. Find out from your IT guys if necessary. If you do have OWA access, then all you do is go into your email setup on the phone or on the BIS website for the respective carrier you use and setup the account info. You'll be asked for the email address and password for the account and the BIS system does the rest. Email will have a small delay 5-10 minutes between getting from the server to your phone, but it works very well if you don't want to complicate things or spend the money on the cashcow BES solution.
    04-05-08 11:45 AM
    Welcome to CB!
    04-05-08 11:48 AM
    Hi and welcome.
    04-05-08 09:27 PM
    welcome to cb
    04-06-08 03:48 AM
    What r u waiting for? Go get a bb!! Welcome to the forums.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-08 03:58 AM
    Welcome to CB!!! =]
    04-06-08 08:49 AM
    Hey thanks guys! I went out yesterday and I got the Verizon Blackberry 8830. Thanks for the help. I decided to go with the 450 anytime minutes for voice and just the BIS for data because I can always upgrade to BES once I figure out who my IT admin is and if we're allowed to receive mail from Exchange to my Blackberry. (I have classified emails that I don't want flying around the internet, haha). Thanks again, now I just have to figure out how to set this thing up...
    04-06-08 09:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD