I just got my new 8830 a few days ago... I've never had a smart phone before, but figured what the heck.... So here are a few of the things I cannot figure out....

1. Internet - it appears to be some very primitive version of the internet. Like I can log into facebook and it will show me a few things, but not much - no pictures or anything. Just wondering if there is something I need to do to get the internet working fully. I also cannot log into hotmail at all....

2. Voicemail - I dunno how to get into it. I know i'm supposed to dial my own number, but when I do it just goes to a busy signal.

3. Call Ringing - it's really quiet. I have it set at the "Loud" setting, but it's so quiet, how do I get it louder?

4. GPS - how do actually find the coordinates for where you really are?

5. Text Messaging - When I click on someone's name to send them a text message, if I decide to delete the message it's self, it still shows in the log that I tried to send them a message, how do I get rid of that?

6. Also how do you set a sound for text messages so I know when they come in? Right now it does nothing - just the red light starts to blink for awhile....

7. Is there anyway to get the phone to ring and also vibrate at the same time?

8. Lastly - just wondering if there was a case out there that permanently stays on the phone that has a good screen protector but also doesn't make the phone bulky? The holster that came with the phone sucks....

Thank you to anyone who has any answers for me....

markaaro
    Last edited by Trevor; 10-13-07 at 05:52 PM.
    10-13-07 05:33 PM
    First I would like to say welcome to crackberry.com, we are glad to have you. Second, I added numbers to your original post so people can easily address your various questions. Now, to help you with a few of these.

1. The internet on the BlackBerry (or any mobile device) is not really what you would hope for. It is rather basic and tends to be butchered. If you want images to show on every page, with the browser open click the trackball and then go to options. Make sure show images is turned on for wml and html pages. (You'll have to route around in there to find this setting, mine is under options>browser configuration)

2. It sounds like you need to setup your voicemail to me. Consult your carrier for voicemail setup instructions or do a search on the forums.

3. If it is already on loud, there isn't much you can do. That might just be as loud as it gets. Perhaps you could try a different ringtone.

4. No way to do this. Cell phone GPS typically doesn't provide you with real GPS location coordinates.

6. Go under profiles and change the options for SMS. You can see how to do that here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ications-1623/

7. No, BlackBerry doesn't work like that. They will ring and vibrate but not simultaneously.

8. I can't really help here, all I can say is shop around. You can look through the crackberry.com store (CrackBerry.com - Software and Accessories) to see if you find one you like. Otherwise, check ebay or other sites that sell accessories.

PS, if you fill in your carrier and device information in your profile completely, we will be able to help you better in the future. To do this, go to quick links (at the top of the page underneath where it says 'hello markaaro') and click edit profile. On that page you can enter your carrier and device information.

I also recommend that you check out our frequently asked question section, there is a link to that in my signature.

Don't forget to enter the http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/no-t...giveaway-5749/ contest to possibly win a new BlackBerry.

Good luck
    10-13-07 06:06 PM
    Facebook just came out with the Blackberry Application. Have you tried Facebook Mobile yet? Go to Facebook | Welcome to Facebook!. I have pictures and stuff.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-07 11:29 AM
    Hi,

I'm sorry to do this as a reply but I can't figure out how to just do a regular post! How do I set notification for letting me know I have voice mail? I have the 8830. Right now it doesn't even let me know I have voice mail. (pretty annoying)

Thanks so much!!!,
    Sally

ps - HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    12-31-07 11:08 PM
    I think you need to go read up on all the help docs at this site. It's all the published info on the 8830 from RIM. Livelink - Redirection
    01-01-08 10:56 AM
    Hi,

I'm sorry to do this as a reply but I can't figure out how to just do a regular post! How do I set notification for letting me know I have voice mail? I have the 8830. Right now it doesn't even let me know I have voice mail. (pretty annoying)

Thanks so much!!!,
    Sally

ps - HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Voicemail notification is a type of SMS message. So when you edit your profiles the same sms settings will be used when you get a voicemail.

Hope this helps.
    01-01-08 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD