Have you actually used your 8830 with the SIM card installed? This info from the 8830 User Guide reads like it disables operation in the US:
    About global roaming
    In global roaming mode, your BlackBerry� device is designed to connect automatically to an appropriate CDMA network or GSM network when you travel. Your wireless service provider must provide you with a SIM card that is set up for global roaming services before you can use a GSM network. When you insert the SIM card, your BlackBerry device automatically switches to global roaming mode. When you remove the SIM card, your BlackBerry device scans for CDMA networks only. If you switch between a CDMA network and a GSM network, the phone number for your BlackBerry device remains the same.
    For more information about global roaming and roaming fees, contact your wireless service provider.
    01-21-09 09:51 PM
    JeffH, If I go to the address book->SIM Phone Book all I see is a global support number. I see no way to transfer my contacts to the SIM card.

chelseytx, by profile I thinking my cell number and any other identifier that links my VZW account information to the phone. As you know, in general, when you get a new phone you have to go through a procedure to activate the phone, by dialing a VZW number. So I was thinking with a SIM card containing your cell number and account information, by simply inserting your SIM card from one card to another would allow you to begin using a new phone seamlessly. But perhaps I misunderstand the use of the SIM card.
    01-21-09 09:52 PM
    Okay yes the sim card does keep a profile then.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-09 09:55 PM
    Jeffh, yes I have use the BB with the SIM card. after installing the card, the phone asked if I want the phone to automatically select the appropriate CDMA or GSM network. Once I said yes, than all was fine with the phone.
    01-21-09 09:55 PM
    How does the card get the info about your profile?
    01-21-09 09:56 PM
    I actually have no clue.... I think it it is set up at the time of the initial purchase.

01-21-09 09:58 PM
    Guys, look in the User Guide. There is nothing there about a User Profile. And the only way it says you can add contacts to the SIM card is by typing them in, one at a time. It says nothing about importing your address book. I think you are expecting the 8830 to use a SIM card the same way a GSM phone does. That does not appear to be true for the 8830. It may be for the Storm, since it can be unlocked and used on US GSM carriers. The 8830 cannot.
    01-21-09 10:05 PM
    Ahhh okay. I stand corrected. Thanks jeff

01-21-09 10:10 PM
    Well JeffH, if what you say is correct, it would be very unfortunate that the moving of the address book would not be more efficient. It would also be a shame about the SIM card not working like the other GSM phones.
    01-21-09 10:10 PM
    Okay so the 8830 can only be used on non us gsm?

01-21-09 10:11 PM
    Well JeffH, if what you say is correct, it would be very unfortunate that the moving of the address book would not be more efficient. It would also be a shame about the SIM card not working like the other GSM phones.
    Don't take my word for it, read it for yourself. But what you say you're seeing fits with the User Guide. As for the SIM card working like other GSM phones, the 8830 is NOT a GSM Phone. Verizon is a CDMA carrier.

Okay so the 8830 can only be used on non us gsm?...
    Correct. The 8830 is a World Phone. It will not work on US GSM frequencies, and cannot be made to.
    01-21-09 10:17 PM
    Ooooooo okay I didn't know that.... In that case take all my advice and dump it. Lol

01-21-09 10:19 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD