Hi all, I just inserted my new SIM card. When I look at the card via the Advanced Options menu I notice the card's security is not enabled. If I tried to enable the security, it looks for a pin #.

So the question is, what does having the SIM card security enable afford me? i.e. what are the risk of not having the card enabled? and where do I get the pin number?

Also, I understand that one of the advantages of the card is that it allows a user to simply move the card to another phone, and a users profile, (#, etc) is easily transfered to the new phone. Does the phone download the profile to the card once it is recognized? How does that work?

AKM
    01-20-09 02:53 PM
    As far as I know the pin on the sim just allows the card not to be popped into another phone and used willie-nillie. All the sim card does is allow you to transfer the the phone number and the contact book to another phone if something happens to urs. It doesn't copy pics and anything else it basicly is for if something happens to ur phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-09 10:16 PM
    I don't have a SIM card, but I have been told you have to transfer numbers one by one from the address book to the SIM card. So it may not be feasible if you have a large number of contacts. The SIM card also does not store all the information that is contained in your address book, but rather a small subset of it.
    01-20-09 10:20 PM
    U can transfer all the numbers at once as far as I know.... U just have to mark them all

Last edited by chelseytx; 01-20-09 at 10:29 PM.
    01-20-09 10:25 PM
    U can transfer all the numbers at once as far as I know.... U just have to make them all

Make them all what? I don't have a SIM, so my interest is academic, but I'd like to know for the next time it comes up.
    01-20-09 10:27 PM
    Sorry ment marked... I have edited the post... I have done this before... Am playing with my phone now to figured out how to do it... Will post in a few

01-20-09 10:30 PM
    Okay to transfer all numbers to the smartchip (sim card) do the following go to address book - more - options - advanced - copy to smart chip

01-20-09 10:37 PM
    If I'm wrong about one thing, maybe I'm wrong about another. Does the SIM hold only one number per contact, or more than one?
    01-20-09 10:40 PM
    As far as I know it holds everything for 250 contacts where as the phone holds everything for a lot more okay here are the stats....phone can hold 1000 contacts, 2500 numbers and the smart chips holds 250 contacts

01-20-09 10:44 PM
    I don't agree with the 1000 contacts limit in the device memory. I have almost 1100. The SIM card limit does sound like what I've been told. But regardless, you'll told me some things about SIMs I didn't know.
    01-20-09 11:05 PM
    My att phone is not a 3g so it may hold less then the brand new phones, but what I put in here was directly from my phone itself

01-20-09 11:08 PM
    I'm not a betting man, and I'm darn sure not going to bet against you when you haven't been wrong yet, but I think that information is mistaken. My 8830 is not a new phone either, and your 8330 has 50% more memory to start with.
    01-20-09 11:13 PM
    Hahaha okay.... My att phone is not a blackberry...my curve is verizon. Sorry for the confusion *g*

01-20-09 11:15 PM
    As far as I know it holds everything for 250 contacts where as the phone holds everything for a lot more okay here are the stats....phone can hold 1000 contacts, 2500 numbers and the smart chips holds 250 contacts

I am not exactly sure how many contacts the 8830 hold, but i can definatly tell you it is a lot. i currently have 1372 contacts on my bb, an have not had any problems so far.

(I am aware that my profile says i am using a Storm for verizon, i switched to the 8830 about 3 weeks ago.. I dont know how to change it, sorry)
    01-21-09 10:16 AM
    Yah.... I wasny even thinking about the phone being a bb until jeff said something... The bb hold until it can't hold anymore.

To chagne ur phone type: go to account settings - profile settings - and it is in one of those at the bottom. Sorry I can't give u better direction... I am not at a puter.

01-21-09 10:35 AM
    Yeah, I did an analysis a while back. Contacts are typically very small text entries. Right now I have 1064 contacts. The database is 211kb. That works out to 200 bytes per address. I have 17MB free. Assuming I leave 12MB free, that leaves 5MB that could be used for contacts. 5MB / 200bytes = 25 000 contacts. chelseytx and I weren't making an equal comparison yesterday, and each of us was assuming what device the other was talking about.
    01-21-09 10:39 AM
    Good god jeff! I don't think I would have the paitients ( or the math capibilities) sit there and figure that out lol.I ended up with a curve bc I could not keep any programs on the phone and still keep txt and call logs.

01-21-09 10:47 AM
    Hey jeff... Of you see this can u give the exact local of of to change the phone type settings?

01-21-09 10:50 AM
    Click User CP in the Blue Menu bar at the top of the screen, then click Edit Profile on the left hand side of the screen. You have to be at a PC to do it.
    01-21-09 10:54 AM
    Sweet! Thanks jeff! U rock.

01-21-09 11:01 AM
    Gee guys, I've enjoyed your back and forth on my topic. However, if I go to my address book, and go to options, there is no option to copy my address book to the SIM card. Under options it only has: Sort by; Confirm Delete; Allow Duplicate Names; Wireless Synchronization; Number of Entries.

Also, no one has addressed the part of my question about the security aspect of the SIM card. In short, what does the security feature afford me, and what is the pin number needed to enable the security.
    01-21-09 09:24 PM
    As far as I know the pin on the sim just allows the card not to be popped into another phone and used willie-nillie. All the sim card does is allow you to transfer the the phone number and the contact book to another phone if something happens to urs. It doesn't copy pics and anything else it basicly is for if something happens to ur phone

And the pin is a number that u choose

01-21-09 09:38 PM
    So the SIM card just holds the address book and allows for easy transport from one phone to another? If does not transfer/hold a user's profile/cell number etc that allows for an easy set up of a new phone?
    01-21-09 09:43 PM
    Hum, we do seem to drifted away from your OP. Sorry about that. Glad you got some entertainment from it, anyway.

I don't have a SIM card installed, but if I go to the Address Book and press the Menu button, "SIM Phone Book" shows up as a Menu item, 3 lines above the Options item that you are selecting. Since I don't have a card, that's as far as I can go. Unless you're going to use your phone overseas on GSM frequencies, I consider the SIM card useless.

Here's what the 8830 User Guide has to say about the SIM Card Security features:
    About SIM card security
    Use SIM card security to add another level of security to your device. This level of security is designed to prevent unauthorized use of your BlackBerry� device or SIM card by locking the SIM card with a PIN code. If you lock your SIM card, other people cannot remove your SIM card and insert their own and they cannot remove your SIM card and insert it into another device. If you have protected your SIM card with a PIN code, you must type the PIN code before you can remove your SIM card and insert it into another device.
    Protect your SIM card with a PIN code
    Verify that your wireless service provider has provided you with a SIM card PIN code.
    1. In the device options, click Advanced Options.
    2. Click SIM Card.
    3. Press the Menu key.
    4. Click Enable Security.
    5. Type your SIM card PIN code.
    6. Click the trackball.
    Note: If you type the SIM card PIN code incorrectly three times, your SIM card does not function. Contact your wireless service provider for more information.
    01-21-09 09:44 PM
    Yes the sim holds the phone number of the person too... What do u mean by profile?

01-21-09 09:45 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD