Hi folks-

First, I'm very aware of the 8830's memory issues-i've done all of the recommended procedures, removed every non critical app, and done all of the memory increasing tips. Usually, this leaves me with about 9MB free after a hard reboot which quickly turns to nothing within a few hours.

However, NOW I'm experiencing way les free memory, and this is after I've deleted even more apps (ones I rely on and use a lot)m. So now I'm getting like 4 MB after a hard reboot, if that.

I'm scratching my head, because if anything's changed recently, it's been the reduction of apps which theoretically should free up memory.

Does anyone have any ideas? It almost seems like the phone has a virus, or has some sort of rogue app that's sabotaging it.

Apps I have installed:

Gmail
    Google maps (just deleted)
    Viigo (just deleted)
    Instango I'm
    Soduko

Thanks all,

Split

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-08 05:59 PM
    Interesting - I've had the same issues with my 8830. I was down to a regular 4mb free. I had been low before at around 9mb. While down visiting my sister I was concerned about the very low memory and removed about 5 or 6 apps and it really did not seem to improve much. I removed LiveSearch, MyAlarms, BBtracker,Vlingo, Verizon Navigator and a new Notepad program.

Oh, I'm using the latest official OS xxxx.196 so NO beta versions.

I am wondering if there are things that can "permanently" take up memory but that don't necessarily show up but don't get freed by a Battery Pull or reset. I don't think my about 15-20 repeating birthdays and one or two other appts, my phone book with about 70 entries or about 8 memos are that onerous. And I do not keep emails (and very early removed BB Messenger and don't text message) on the unit.
    07-31-08 07:22 PM
    Hi folks-

First, I'm very aware of the 8830's memory issues-i've done all of the recommended procedures, removed every non critical app, and done all of the memory increasing tips. Usually, this leaves me with about 9MB free after a hard reboot which quickly turns to nothing within a few hours.

However, NOW I'm experiencing way les free memory, and this is after I've deleted even more apps (ones I rely on and use a lot)m. So now I'm getting like 4 MB after a hard reboot, if that.

I'm scratching my head, because if anything's changed recently, it's been the reduction of apps which theoretically should free up memory.

Does anyone have any ideas? It almost seems like the phone has a virus, or has some sort of rogue app that's sabotaging it.

Apps I have installed:

Gmail
    Google maps (just deleted)
    Viigo (just deleted)
    Instango I'm
    Soduko

Thanks all,

Split

You removed every non-critical app and left Sudoku? Nonetheless, something else is badly wrong. I have 24M free after a battery pull. You need to systematically follow the Stoner procedure in my sig. Get started and report back your results...
    07-31-08 07:29 PM
    Nope, there isn't a "NEW" memory problem. There is something still on your 8830 that is taking up memory. Perhaps you're keeping messages/SMS/e-mails? If you ran all the tips found here, you should land around 15-17MB free.
    07-31-08 07:31 PM
    ...I am wondering if there are things that can "permanently" take up memory but that don't necessarily show up but don't get freed by a Battery Pull or reset. I don't think my about 15-20 repeating birthdays and one or two other appts, my phone book with about 70 entries or about 8 memos are that onerous. And I do not keep emails (and very early removed BB Messenger and don't text message) on the unit.
    There are things that permanently take up memory. The Content Store, for example, gets bigger as you install and delete apps. I recovered about 2M memory when I upgraded from 4.2.2.176 to 4.2.2.196 because the Content Store got reset.

Have you done the Stoner procedure in my sig?
    07-31-08 07:33 PM
    I originally followed the John Clark advice on, ahem, that other forum. So I've removed non-essential things. This memory loss seems to have occurred over the last week or two and while I installed/tested a few apps, I also removed all of them, I believe, and some others as mentioned above.

It really does seem as if something has gobbled memory and won't release it, even with a battery pull.

I will check out Stoner's advice, too (I already grabbed it in another tab)
    07-31-08 08:46 PM
    As for Soduko....well....I deleted Brick Breaker if that counts for anything!!

Anyhow, checking out the Stoner rules now...

split
    07-31-08 09:42 PM
    Ok, so I read the stoner guide, and despite having done virtually this same process a few months ago, I did it again. When all was said and done I didn't gain any more free memory.

Then I found the "database sizes" menu in the options app unders status. My content store looks like it's almost a MB, but the real culprit is my "messages" database-it clocks in at almost 7 MB.

I deleted ALL sms records, call logs, everything. The only messages of any kids that I kept were the last 30 days of my inbox and sent mail folders.

The fact that my messages database is still so large makes me wonder if it includes other kinds of messages? Gmail? Messenger?

Split

08-01-08 12:30 AM
    Since the messages folder aggregates all the message inboxes, I would not be surprised to find the messages database had all messages in it. However, SMS and BBM are just text and typically very small. I don't use Gmail.

What about attachments to the emails in your inbox? A single powerpoint presentation could easily be 7MB. A few attachments could be the culprit.
    08-01-08 05:40 AM
    I thought of that too, and deleted all emails with attachments on the phone before I wrote my previous post.

I'm stumped...I just don't get how the messages database could be so large still.

Honestly, this memory issue is the one major issue that's making me want to go to the thunder when it comes out, or possibly to just bail and get an iphone. I hate dealing with crap like this.

Thanks for the help though...

Split

08-01-08 10:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD