I've got a Mac, so I've talked to my work IT guy and he is willing to do the upgrade via a Windows laptop. He has downloaded the software from Verizon but can seem to figure out how to do the OS upgrade. I don't want to burn a lot of his time because he is doing it as a favor.

Can anyone point me to a step by step? Is the information on any of the two disks Verizon gave me? I'm not seeing any real instructions on the OS upgrade download page.

Thanks for your help. I'm going to load Windows on my Mac for the next time around, but I'd like to do this tomorrow while I have the IT guy primed and ready to help.

Sorry if this is already posted, I don't know the terms to search for, I did try.
    08-07-07 05:50 PM
    Make sure you have the newest Desktop Manager installed. The one that came with your device on the CD should be fine.

Next, download and install the OS for your device.

If using an OS from a carrier other than your own, find and delete the vendor.xml file. If using an OS from your own carrier and device, disregard this step.

Bring up DM and connect your device. You should be prompted to upgrade. Now sit back and be patient. This will take from 30-60 minutes. Do not disconnect the device during this time!
    08-07-07 05:57 PM
    Spot on! Just to throw it out there, I use a Mac for my BB and use a PC to perform regular backups and just performed the VZW OS update with the PC. Everything came out as smooth as could be expected. Make sure to do a backup on the PC first without touching any of the files or upgrading the OS! Hard to do a clean backup on Mac, much easier on the PC actually. If you need help with how to do this, although it's pretty easy, let me know.
    08-07-07 06:19 PM
    Thanks all. So after having the correct software installed, just connecting the BB to the computer prompts the upgrade cycle? I'll give it a try tomorrow at work with the IT guy.
    08-07-07 09:19 PM
    After having the correct software installed, and deleting the vendor file, then connect the BlackBerry to the pc, with Desktop Manager running, and it will do the OS install...
    08-07-07 09:20 PM
    Worked like a charm today. Thanks for helping me, a newbie, get this done the first time.

I'm going to buy Fusion tomorrow and get Windows on my Mac. I hope it supports OS upgrades to my 8830.
    08-08-07 06:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD