Would somebody please shed some light on this subject? I have a Sprint 8830 W.E and i would like my fiance to use it on a tmobile system . Is this possible or do i just sell it?.....Thx
    04-07-09 06:07 PM
    Won't work. T Mobile uses SIM cards and is GSM while Sprint is CDMA and doesn't use SIM card. The Sprint 8830 has a SIM card slot but this is for International use.
    04-07-09 06:16 PM
    So impossible? Should just sell phone and buy t-mobile phone?
    04-07-09 06:40 PM
    Uhmm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

04-07-09 07:51 PM
    The 8830 does not have the capability to work on North American GSM networks.
    04-07-09 07:53 PM
    The 8830 will only work on Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular, Cellular South, and a few other CDMA carriers in North America.

T-Mobile and AT&T are GSM carriers. The GSM slot on the 8830WE is only for European frequencies and won't work on AT&T or T-Mobile.
    04-07-09 09:47 PM
    The 8830WE is both a GSM and CDMA phone, which is why it's a World Edition. And it does have a SIM card.
    Maybe it's just not unlocked and usable on Vzn, but it is on Sprint.

I believe GSM/CDMA is determined by WHERE you are rather than the carrier, though I may be wrong.
    North America is mainly CDMA, but I know is not limited to that (ex: Dominican Republic is in North American but is both GSM and CDMA).

Anyway, the OP should call T-Mobile to see if the phone can be transferred over carriers... most won't do that, will they?
    04-08-09 03:43 PM
    See, So many differant opinions.I just want to unlock the phone.Is this possible for t-mobile? There has got to be someone that can tell me YES or NO and be sure.....Thx
    04-08-09 05:40 PM
    NO. It is not possible. The GSM radio in the 8830 does not operate at the correct frequency to be used on T-Mobile USA, or any other North American GSM carrier. Period. Anyone who says otherwise is either lying or doesn't know what they are talking about.

04-08-09 05:45 PM
    No North American GSM radios exist in the 8830. The device can only use GSM outside North America.

Unlocking will only allow Verizon customers to use non-Verizon SIM cards in the phone (or Sprint customers use non-Sprint SIMs...). It has no affect on the actual frequencies within the phone.

The 8830 will never work with T-Mobile or AT&T in the US.
    04-08-09 07:38 PM
    Wow....this is still going? Megalo answered this, was the first response, was right, and clearly said NO. Heh

04-09-09 03:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD