First I want to thank all of the members that are so quick and helpful, especially to us newbies! I have searched the site and read most of the information regarding the 8830 WE and want to make sure that mine is ready for my trip.

I purchased a USED 8830 WE (Sprint) from a friend to take with me to Kuwait. The phone is NOT currently in service but does have a Sprint GSM Card in it.

It shows the following:

BlackBerry 8830 smartphone (GPRS, CDMA)
    v4.2.2.196 (Platform 3.0.0.85)
    Cryptographic Kernel v3.8.4.47

Under Mobile Network:

Data Services: On
    Mobile Network: Sprint PCS
    Network Selection Mode: Automatic
    Network Mode: Global

Under Options - Advanced - SIM Card

SIM Card: Security Disabled
    ID: 19 digit sim number
    Personalization:
    SIM: Disabled
    Network: Active
    Network Subset: Disabled
    Service Provider: Disabled
    Corporate: DIsabled

So now for my questions.

1. Does it appear that I will be ready to purchase a SIM card from a carrier in Kuwait and put it in this phone and be ready to go?

2. Does it appear that this phone is unlocked?

3. Do I need to update any software?

4. Have I made a good choice or poor choice of phones?

I currently use a Verizon 9330 with BB Desktop Software Version 6.1.0.35 and am hoping to be able to copy my Contacts and Calendar information to the 8830 WE. Will this be a simple and straight-forward task?

Thanks in advance for all the help. I just want to make sure I can use my BB primarily for messaging, contacts, and calendar for the year I will be there.
    Last edited by mistergadget; 01-09-12 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Subscribe
    01-09-12 11:24 AM
    it is locked, we see that by Network:Active. you can get an unlock code from many providers, maybe even free. head down to the unlocking forums for more info.

From there you can get a kuwait sim and activate it.
    make sure the PIN is off of Sprints network, it should have been released by the old owner, but we dont know.

I would upgrade the OS to at least 4.5

and as for choice of phones the 8830 is solid, but old.
    A lot of the phones now are world ready and could have went for something as new as a 9900.

but as long as you are happy with your purchase, thats what matters.
    01-09-12 11:40 AM
    Thanks for the response . . . will look at upgrading to 4.5. And I assume I will be able to transfer my contacts from my VZW 9330. I'm down to the wire on getting out of here and for $40 I was hopeful it would be unlocked and ready to go. I may go by the local Sprint store tomorrow and see if the PIN is off of their network. Maybe they will unlock it, too ! ! !

Thanks again.
    01-09-12 06:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD