Hi all, I have read much about memory leaks with various BB models but I was wondering about memory use upon a fresh batter pull.

My VZW 8830 comes with total memory of 47.8megs. After a fresh pull, before I run or use any functions on the phone, the free memory is slightly less than 7 megs. So it seems like 85% of the device's memory is used up on the OS, network protocols and drivers. That seems quite high.

Does anyone have any color on this subject?

Thx
    01-02-09 11:27 AM
    Hi all, I have read much about memory leaks with various BB models but I was wondering about memory use upon a fresh batter pull.

My VZW 8830 comes with total memory of 47.8megs. After a fresh pull, before I run or use any functions on the phone, the free memory is slightly less than 7 megs. So it seems like 85% of the device's memory is used up on the OS, network protocols and drivers. That seems quite high.

Does anyone have any color on this subject?

Thx
    What OS version are you running and what apps do you have installed?
    01-02-09 11:32 AM
    I'm running the original OS. v 4.2.2.176.

I have all of the standard apps that come with the phone. The only added apps, which to my knowledge are not resident until launched, is Bloomberg, Viigo & WSJ Mobile Reader.
    01-02-09 11:39 AM
    The latest OS for verizon is 4.2.2.196. It doesn't really help with the memory issues though. You can get the latest OS here: BlackBerry® Software Updates

After updating the OS I would run the memory optimization procedure in this thread:http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    01-02-09 11:45 AM
    I am running the beta OS v4.5.0.101 which freed up a signifigant amount of memory. The 4.5 OS also comes with docs to go for your MS office docs.
    01-02-09 11:47 AM
    While I know its not proper to post links to beta OSs, I have not found a trustworthly site for the 4.5 v for the VZW 8830 phone.

Having said that, even if 4.5 frees up a lot of memory, it still seems like the device would use a significant amount of memory just for the OS and related device functionality. Does that not seem inefficient?
    01-02-09 11:54 AM
    While I know its not proper to post links to beta OSs, I have not found a trustworthly site for the 4.5 v for the VZW 8830 phone.

Having said that, even if 4.5 frees up a lot of memory, it still seems like the device would use a significant amount of memory just for the OS and related device functionality. Does that not seem inefficient?
    Check your PM's
    01-02-09 12:14 PM
    I think it would be very helpful if you were able to see what processes were running and how much memory and CPU usage was being utilized by which process. Just like a PCs Task Manager.

Does Blackberry have something like that?
    01-02-09 12:48 PM
    I think it would be very helpful if you were able to see what processes were running and how much memory and CPU usage was being utilized by which process. Just like a PCs Task Manager.

Does Blackberry have something like that?
    Not without another application. The closest thing to it is hold down the ALT key and press the Escape key for the application switcher. That will tell you what programs are open. There are 5 icons that will stay open at all time they are BB messenger, your inbox, Home screen, the phone, and your browser. Anything else and it can be closed down if you are not using them.
    01-02-09 12:56 PM
    OK, sounds good. I have those apps open. So nothing seems out of the ordinary. Yet I still only have 7megs out of 47.8megs of memory available.

Very puzzling.
    01-02-09 01:10 PM
    OK, sounds good. I have those apps open. So nothing seems out of the ordinary. Yet I still only have 7megs out of 47.8megs of memory available.

Very puzzling.
    Mine typically hovers around 16.0 after battery pull and will drop to around 12.5-11.5 after normal usage. I only have PCN banking app, docs to go with excel support, and beamreader installed on mine. I use crackmem to remove all of the unneeded stuff.
    01-02-09 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD