After getting my 8830 about a year ago, in time the file free, after battery pulls, kept slowly shrinking down to eventually about 7 megs. Did a handheld wipe which brought it back to about 18 megs, I think; then it started again. I noticed that the longer I had my BB, the faster the memory decreased.

Then, news of the Bell Mobility version of OS 4.5 emerged, and I loaded it. Then, from the moment of installation to today (about a week), file free went from 16 megs to about 10 (again, numbers are noted immediately after battery pulls). Memory can leak 3 megs just sitting phone on in a charger for 3 hours. I was hoping the new OS would fix things, but no....

I figure at this rate I'll have to do a handheld wipe about once a month at least to keep memory up to par. Is this normal life with the 8830?

P.S. While writing this post, I pulled the battery & got file free to about 10 megs. Upon finishing this post (about 5~10 minutes later), file free has decreased to about 8 megs. Hmmm.
    02-12-09 11:19 PM
    what apps do you have installed ? and are you properly closing out apps by hitting menu then close ?
    02-13-09 12:44 AM
    ArGiEs, I agree with uncheels23, double check what 3rd party apps/themes you have loaded/running on your 8830. After running 4.5.0.127 for 5 days now my only issue was a 3rd party theme, once I removed that theme I've never dropped below 26mg. If you don't want to removed the apps/themes then just pull your battery for 30 sec.
    02-13-09 08:31 AM
    Also make sure that you check your database sizes. You can do this by going into status and clicking menu>database. It will let you know how much mem is being used by sms, mms, email, contacts, and so forth. Before your next batt pull delete unneccesary items.

Then do an overall memory clean of your device. Like deleting mem pad if you don't use it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 11:03 AM
    3rd party apps:
    Opera mini, QuickText, QuickPull, SMSon, Google Talk, Google Maps, CrackBerryAppStore link, Fox News link, RIM's Fox Breaking news Push alert, Aerize email alerts, Aerize Loader, Empower Instaspella, Empower dictionary, BLight, plasmic 8300 theme, plasmic Aline theme. Now, it looks like a lot, but I' ve had most of them from early on (before I started having real memory problems), and most of their sizes are small.

I've cleaned out the pre-loaded apps I don't use.

I regularly clear texts, emails, and IM conversations. Once a week I clear the call log, event logs, browser cache, etc. Doing all that hardly makes a dent.

As to closing out apps, if you mean the run-in-the-background type like Google Maps, well...not always. Sometimes a like to have it "instant on."
    Last edited by ArGiEs; 02-13-09 at 11:46 AM. Reason: More info
    02-13-09 11:41 AM
    After getting my 8830 about a year ago, in time the file free, after battery pulls, kept slowly shrinking down to eventually about 7 megs. Did a handheld wipe which brought it back to about 18 megs, I think; then it started again. I noticed that the longer I had my BB, the faster the memory decreased.

Then, news of the Bell Mobility version of OS 4.5 emerged, and I loaded it. Then, from the moment of installation to today (about a week), file free went from 16 megs to about 10 (again, numbers are noted immediately after battery pulls). Memory can leak 3 megs just sitting phone on in a charger for 3 hours. I was hoping the new OS would fix things, but no....

I figure at this rate I'll have to do a handheld wipe about once a month at least to keep memory up to par. Is this normal life with the 8830?

P.S. While writing this post, I pulled the battery & got file free to about 10 megs. Upon finishing this post (about 5~10 minutes later), file free has decreased to about 8 megs. Hmmm.
    what apps do you have installed ? and are you properly closing out apps by hitting menu then close ?
    3rd party apps:
    Opera mini, QuickText, QuickPull, SMSon, Google Talk, Google Maps, CrackBerryAppStore link, Fox News link, RIM's Fox Breaking news Push alert, Aerize email alerts, Aerize Loader, Empower Instaspella, Empower dictionary, BLight, plasmic 8300 theme, plasmic Aline theme. Now, it looks like a lot, but I' ve had most of them from early on (before I started having real memory problems), and most of their sizes are small.

I've cleaned out the pre-loaded apps I don't use.

I regularly clear texts, emails, and IM conversations. Once a week I clear the call log, event logs, browser cache, etc. Doing all that hardly makes a dent.

As to closing out apps, if you mean the run-in-the-background type like Google Maps, well...not always. Sometimes a like to have it "instant on."

I know I have memory problems with 4.5.0.127 when I used 3rd party Themes. you might want to remove it and give it a try (trouble shooting).
    If you don't want to do that, I know I've read other posts stating to only keep 1 3rd party theme at a time on your BB....just a thought.
    02-13-09 11:55 AM
    mee too i have the same issue, dropping to 7mb ef memory.. apps.. none, only the builin one... oh yeah.. weather from meteomedia.. that it.
    02-13-09 12:50 PM
    I did find a memory leak problem when I upgraded to .127 but since a whole wipe, with BeeJive running, memory amazingly stays at 17+ MB (19.5 MB on battery reset). Must be something on your phone, .127 does an EXCELLENT job at memory management.

To Wilson (sorry for thread jacking): HOW DID YOU GET 26MB? I was happy just to get 18+ MB through .127 and going through Stoner's memory guide and I don't have 3rd party apps other than BeeJive and WLM
    02-13-09 04:08 PM
    OK, first deleted 8300 Bold 9000 theme, apparently no results; deleted 8800 Aline theme, and with preliminary observation it seems the leak has "slowed down."

That Aline theme was my favorite; hope I don't have to give it up just because the OS has an allergic reaction to it. How could something, that to outward appearance just sits there and looks pretty, dump vast quantities of electronic garbage into the memory?
    02-13-09 05:45 PM
    OK, first deleted 8300 Bold 9000 theme, apparently no results; deleted 8800 Aline theme, and with preliminary observation it seems the leak has "slowed down."

That Aline theme was my favorite; hope I don't have to give it up just because the OS has an allergic reaction to it. How could something, that to outward appearance just sits there and looks pretty, dump vast quantities of electronic garbage into the memory?
    You have to remember that themes are like thread woven into the fabric they look nice but still make the phone keep functioning the way we like.
    02-13-09 06:34 PM
    I did find a memory leak problem when I upgraded to .127 but since a whole wipe, with BeeJive running, memory amazingly stays at 17+ MB (19.5 MB on battery reset). Must be something on your phone, .127 does an EXCELLENT job at memory management.
    M
    It appears from all the previous posts that I'm not running anything radically different than anyone else; evidence so far seems to point at the themes.

I haven't done a device wipe with .127 installed yet, may try that soon and keep the themes off it for a while. I'm currently running the stock Sprint theme, which has got to be safe, right? I'd like to find a solution if I can; I still have one year left on my contract before I can upgrade to an 8900 (or something equivalent)!
    02-13-09 10:28 PM
    Well, not so sure it's themes that are the culprits. With all 3rd party themes deleted, pulled battery this morning; 2-1/2 hours later, file free has been reduced by about 3 megabytes...hmm and double-hmm....

Later today I intend to wipe device and see what happens.
    02-14-09 12:07 PM
    Well, not so sure it's themes that are the culprits. With all 3rd party themes deleted, pulled battery this morning; 2-1/2 hours later, file free has been reduced by about 3 megabytes...hmm and double-hmm....

Later today I intend to wipe device and see what happens.
    Sooooo did you wipe the device curious to know what happened.
    02-14-09 05:27 PM
    Sooooo did you wipe the device curious to know what happened.
    Not yet - no fears, I'll post results after I do; it may take a couple of days to monitor it for meaningful results.

Another thing: this memory loss issue was strange, because for months the memory hovered around 12 megs; then, after a point, it started slipping downward. This change actually corresponded to when I installed three new apps - QuickPull, SMSDisplayOn, and BLight. When I saw things going awry I deleted each of those newly installed apps, but that didn't help things either. Anyone have any hard evidence that one of those abovementioned apps would cause memory leak problems?
    02-14-09 05:48 PM
    Not yet - no fears, I'll post results after I do; it may take a couple of days to monitor it for meaningful results.

Another thing: this memory loss issue was strange, because for months the memory hovered around 12 megs; then, after a point, it started slipping downward. This change actually corresponded to when I installed three new apps - QuickPull, SMSDisplayOn, and BLight. When I saw things going awry I deleted each of those newly installed apps, but that didn't help things either. Anyone have any hard evidence that one of those abovementioned apps would cause memory leak problems?
    haven't been able to find any articles/info regarding those apps. I'm still trying to find out why there is a memory leak to begin with. I mean there's not possible way to program so it doesn't? This might sound extremely stupid but I think the way BlackBerry's handle applications suck. I posted a thread where I had X amount of memory and after installing and uninstalling apps, wasn't been able to recover or get my Berry back to X. After doing a clean wipe, that's when I was able to get it back to where it should be at.
    02-14-09 07:19 PM
    I have also received this issue as well. I only use Facebook, AIM (not a daily basis just on occasion), and the Google Application. I was running about 2MB to 3MB but now I am hovering at 8MB. Last night I did a battery pull and it started at 12MB and slowly went down to about 8MB. I did install the Curve 8900 Replica theme, but I doubt this has anything to do with it. What should I do? Wipe it out and start over??
    02-14-09 10:14 PM
    Latest report: wiped handheld, restored everything (except no themes); results - no improvement. Still loses about 1 megabyte per hour of file free.

I suppose the next step would be to wipe it again, see if there's loss with no apps, then re-install 3rd party apps on at a time to see which one is causing the problem - if one is at all.
    02-15-09 11:21 AM
    I had this problem with .127 until I uninstalled all 3rd party apps as well as Docs2Go, did a battery pull for at least 15 mins, then reinstalled the 3rd party apps and Docs2Go, and have had no problems since. Sprint tech support says in order to get a full reset when doing a battery pull, you need to do it for at least 5 mins. 30 secons will not cut it. I start at about 12.8 and then drop to between 10-10.5, and never go below that.

Edit: Also looking at your 3rd party apps, I'd honestly say you have what I call a crapload (regardless of their size). I only have gmail and google talk as my 3rd party apps and I still get have the slight memory loss issues. I've found the more you have, the worse the memory leaks are. I used to have more and realized they were the ones cause the issues. So I finally asked myself, do I use these apps everyday. Anything I didn't use on a daily basis, I got rid of. I even got rid of facebook, as the constant alerts along with 3 email accounts was overwhelming. I'll of course reinstall NFL Mobile when football starts back up again
    Last edited by greatcasa; 02-15-09 at 12:26 PM.
    02-15-09 12:22 PM
    I had this problem with .127 until I uninstalled all 3rd party apps as well as Docs2Go, did a battery pull for at least 15 mins, then reinstalled the 3rd party apps and Docs2Go, and have had no problems since. Sprint tech support says in order to get a full reset when doing a battery pull, you need to do it for at least 5 mins. 30 secons will not cut it. I start at about 12.8 and then drop to between 10-10.5, and never go below that.

Edit: Also looking at your 3rd party apps, I'd honestly say you have what I call a crapload (regardless of their size). I only have gmail and google talk as my 3rd party apps and I still get have the slight memory loss issues. I've found the more you have, the worse the memory leaks are. I used to have more and realized they were the ones cause the issues. So I finally asked myself, do I use these apps everyday. Anything I didn't use on a daily basis, I got rid of. I even got rid of facebook, as the constant alerts along with 3 email accounts was overwhelming. I'll of course reinstall NFL Mobile when football starts back up again
    What was the number to Sprint Blackberry Support?
    02-15-09 03:24 PM

OK, pulled the battery & left it out for about an hour. Put it back in arounf 3:30, file free was 17+ megs. Will monitor.

I accept yor point about the apps. A good lot of them, however, I do use everyday. Some I can clear out. We'll see.
    02-15-09 03:25 PM
    If you're going to do a full wipe, I would do it without backing up 3rd Party apps. Personally, if we know that 3rd party apps are causing the problems, I would start from fresh and slowly install 3rd party apps for best results.

What I recommend is do a full wipe and then do a backup as a "default" state so whenever you run into a problem, you can always restore back to that point where everything is "fresh and new"

02-15-09 05:57 PM
    If you're going to do a full wipe, I would do it without backing up 3rd Party apps. Personally, if we know that 3rd party apps are causing the problems, I would start from fresh and slowly install 3rd party apps for best results.

What I recommend is do a full wipe and then do a backup as a "default" state so whenever you run into a problem, you can always restore back to that point where everything is "fresh and new"

Good idea! Will do that "fresh start" backup next time a wipe is done.

Well, after about 8-1/2 hours, file free is down about 3 megabytes - which doesn't sound that good, but it's significantly better than 1meg/hour! That set-the-battery-out-a-long-time battery pull certainly seems to have made a difference. I'll keep checking this out.

As far as 3rd party apps are concerned: I bought this phone as a business tool, and a lot of the programs are efficiency/function enhancement. If it comes down to it, I just might rather wipe handheld periodically so as to keep the apps I want/need until I can upgrade without Sprint penalizing me. You think I have a bunch of applications now, just wait 'till I get my hands on the Sprint version of the 8900!
    02-15-09 10:27 PM
    What was the number to Sprint Blackberry Support?
    *2 on your phone. There is no number for just blackberry tech support. Just ask to be connected to tech support. You won't get much from them, but about 8 months ago they suggested the battery pull for at least 5 mins when I called in for another unrelated problem, and I found it to be true, so I'm just passing on the info. Them helping you with anything else. Good luck!
    02-16-09 09:36 AM

Well, after about 8-1/2 hours, file free is down about 3 megabytes - which doesn't sound that good, but it's significantly better than 1meg/hour! That set-the-battery-out-a-long-time battery pull certainly seems to have made a difference. I'll keep checking this out.

As far as 3rd party apps are concerned: I bought this phone as a business tool, and a lot of the programs are efficiency/function enhancement. If it comes down to it, I just might rather wipe handheld periodically so as to keep the apps I want/need until I can upgrade without Sprint penalizing me. You think I have a bunch of applications now, just wait 'till I get my hands on the Sprint version of the 8900!
    I would still try uninstalling all your third party apps, doing the battery pull for at least 15 mins, and then one by one installing your new apps. I found that the battery pull along with the fress install of my apps really helped with the memory leaks.

I know what you mean about getting the bold. I think it's sad that you can only get a few apps on this phone. Why they only put 65mbs on this phone when the technology for more and inexpensively was available, I don't know. When the newest world phone comes out on sprint, and if they have not released an official 4.5 for the 8830 at the time, I plan on calling and and complaining until I get a cheap or free upgrade. When I bought this phone in Dec '07, they told me the v4.3 (later v4.5) was supposed to be coming out nlt late Jan'08/Feb'08. I wanted what the Pearl could do but did not like the keyboard, the size, or the fact that it was not a world phone. So seeing as I was only going to have to wait a month or two (yeah right), I went with the 8830. I've thought about doing this with the Curve, but seeing as its a different phone, and there is not a replacement for the 8830 yet (which is admitting defeat for the 8830 in my opinion), I figured I've have a better chance getting a free/cheap replacement if there was no v4.5 from Sprint and a replacement out for the 8830. I had a similar issue with my Samsung a900 from sprint before this phone. They released less than a year later the samsung a900m which was just a firmware upgrade fixing all the screwups on the a900 that sprint wouldn't admit to. A lot of people were successful in getting sprint to give them or cheaply give them the a900m.
    02-16-09 09:46 AM

That's good to hear. You are going to experience memory leaks, you can't prevent it so if you are losing "a good chunk", its better that you're losing that chunk in a longer span of time rather than short time span (1 MB/hr). And this will definitely be the case if you're running multiple apps in the background.

Like I stated earlier, I was running Windows Live Messenger/BeeJive in the background and my BlackBerry stayed around 17 MB of free memory where usually it would dip way below that around the 10 MB. Eventually it would slowly get to that point, but does that maybe after a full say of usage and at that point I usually do a battery pull to keep it fresh for the next day.

At this point, people who have had their 8830 for awhile have found ways to deal with the fact that it has very limited memory and no the procedures on how to keep it running at an optimal level. Even for new users, by reading the threads here, you will learn in a few months and eventually get used to the low memory that it won't bother you.

02-16-09 12:58 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD