Is there any way to get the email app on my 8830 to truly syncronize with my mail server using IMAP? (I'm on BIS) What I mean is; I get my mail just fine via a IMAP configuration on my BB, yet it's not really "syncronized" meaning if I check a mesage on my desktop or laptop using my normal IMAP configured email client, mark it as read, I still get that message on my BB showing as a new message. Reconcile now doesn't do anything to help solve this either.

Thanks,
    02-12-08 08:05 PM
    I experience the same issue with Sprint's BIS. My server is IMAP4 compliant... not sure why it doesn't synchronize like it should.

It also doesn't drop a copy of the messages I send from my BB into my Sent folder like it's supposed to.
    02-12-08 10:45 PM
    I too am not getting the emails that I send from my BB saved to my sent folder on my IMAP4 mail server. My mail server is IMAP4 compliant as well. Yet I do know from past experience, that there are serveral upon several, IMAP4 configuration settings on an IMAP4 mail server that are not always set correctly for every situation. I'll contact my mail server provider and see if they can shed some light on this.
    I've even had some desktop email clients not sync correctly with an IMAP4 server before, simply because the provider did not have the server configured correctly.
    02-12-08 10:58 PM
    I do my own email server... so I can see that the BIS server never even attempts to contact my IMAP server when I send something from my BB. Odd indeed.

Just went and checked my hotmail sent fold... low & behold... there are sent items from my BB in there.

Now that's just wrong, that something affiliated with MS works better than a nice vanilla imap server. ;-)
    02-12-08 11:21 PM
    I have noticed, that If I read a message on my BB first (before my desktop client) the message is marked as read on the IMAP server. (which is reflected on my IMAP configured desktop client as well) However, the same is not true the other way around. As I mentioned before, reading a message first on my desktop client, does indeed mark the message as read on the IMAP server, yet that "read" state is not reflected on my BB.
    I belive this is indicative of "one way" IMAP syncing. So my theory is that either the BB email client or BIS is not capable of "two way" IMAP syncing.
    Maybe?
    Any email server guru's out there?
    Anyone know if this is on the radar for a fix in 4.3?
    Anyone have enough pull to get it into a future fix?
    02-13-08 12:32 AM
    You guys are truly lost.

One way sync is an issue (rather limitation) of BIS in it's current version. It will reconcile from the BB to the server account, but not the other way around. Hopefully with the next release of BIS this will be added... RIM stated so on a few press releases a little while back.

As for you not having Sent Items droppd on the server, that's a definite issue. Your IMAP4 is probably not setup right. Who uses IMAP4 anyway, there's way too many security issues with it, this is why everyone gripes about haivng to setup IMAP4 on an Exchange server in order to get an iPhone to talk to it. Drop IMAP4 and use OWA instead. Add a security certificate (self-issues or official bought one) and you're golden. You then only have to open the SSL (443) port on your firewall instead of 80 and it'll work great.
    02-13-08 09:55 AM
    You guys are truly lost.
    You just stated what we already know and have stated here, why are we lost?

As for OWA, No one here stated that they were running their own Exchange Server. IMAP4 is only a security issue if you don't know how to configure it, and also the fact that not all clients handle it properly.

You obviously think you know everything, (from reading previous snide posts), which is fine, we're all here to try and help, but check the attitude at the door and you'll probably be more help.
    02-13-08 11:27 AM
    JRSCCivic98 is the lost one here. There are not numerous issues with IMAP4. The world does NOT run on MS software.

D_Dog, you are exactly right. No exchange servers have been mentioned in this thread at all, so it makes it a totally useless point to even mention OWA.

Anyways, after some detailed testing, BIS does remove from my BB emails that have been deleted and expunged off of my IMAP server with another MUA (thunderbird in my case).

BIS deletes (permanently, it doesn't move it to trash) messages that are deleted on the BB with "mailbox & handheld". I'd rather it keep the messages in Trash.

BIS is not putting sent messages in my Sent folder.

Based on some other threads, it sounds like BIS doesn't fully implement the IMAP4 standard. There may be workarounds ... I'll have to test those as time allows.
    02-13-08 11:47 AM
    Ok, to followup on my tests...

I enabled altnamespaces in cyrus (so that folders appear at the top of the hierarchy instead of under "INBOX."). This fixes the Sent folder issues. Apparently BIS cannot handle folders under "INBOX.". I don't like how the folders appear in Thunderbird... but I'll get over it so that I can have Sent folder syncing with the BB. :-)

This also fixed the Trash issue. Deleted emails from the BB are properly expunged from the INBOX and placed in the Trash folder.

Man, I wish I had known the BIS limitations earlier, so I could have implemented the workaround sooner.
    02-13-08 01:23 PM
    Wow Cyrus IMAP, I've heard good things. Cyrus IMAP HOWTO
    I wish I had control over my IMAP server settings but I'm at the mercy of my small local email host. (for now...)
    I will inquire about the forder hierarchy though and see if they are willing to help me there. Thanks for the help, glad to hear you found a work around.
    02-13-08 06:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD