Now that the red BB 8830WE has been out for a few weeks, I wonder if it's possible to find just the red keyboard for some of us who have silver 8830s but want the red keyboard---the white backlight really helps to read the darker keyboard; blue light behind a silver keyboard just doesn't do it for me.

I would assume that RIM has red keyboards for the 8830 in stock for repairs; I wonder if we can get our hands on them. I've even settle for my silver case if I can get a red keyboard.

Has anyone had any luck? This always happens to me, I got my 8830 from Verizon, which I love, but my two complaints are the ringer volume and difficulty reading the silver keys with blue backlight. Then shortly after I get my BB 8830, the red version becomes available. I'm not usually a red person, but I'd get it in a minutes, but there's no way I can just eat the cost of my current 8830 and then pay full retail price for the exact same phone in red; I'm after my 30-day trial period and probably at least 1 1/2 years until I can get a new phone with discounts. Who knows, maybe the 9000 will be out by then and Verizon will actually have it.

In the meantime, does anyone know any way to get a red QWERTY keyboard? Any suggestions? Has anyone found a black QWERTY keyboard? Last I heard they were out of stock at most places (like ccn). I don't want place an order and get a black AZERTY keyboard, that would freak me out.

Thanks.

mededitor
    03-18-08 12:36 AM
    Wait for it to come out on Ebay. I'm sure some distributor in China will have it in a few weeks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-08 12:48 AM
    its not the kkeyboard that makes the difference, its like you said the white backlight. the keyboard is just a plastic piece. those are white led's behind the keyboard instead of the blue. so you would have to change those, and they are soldered onto your phone so good luck with that
    03-18-08 05:03 AM
    Ooops. I thought he was talking about the actual kboard/pad. If you want the backlight colors changed, then I think you will have to change the leds. I've seen people change the leds in those carts at the malls.

03-18-08 05:15 AM
    i doubt you have seen that. if so they are charging a fortune. those LED's are pretty tiny, and a pain to work with, but best of luck!
    03-18-08 06:34 AM
    I actually think the LEDS are white and the number on the keyboard are blue.?

03-18-08 06:34 AM
    The silver/blue combo was one of the worst decisions ever made WRT a BB, IMHO. Let's hope the 9k series doesn't fall prey to such blunders.

03-18-08 06:39 AM
    And I'd like a red housing for my 8700...I know it's an older BB, but I like the "fatness" of it...I'll soon get around to the curve, but old habits die hard... I've looked on EBAY for housings with no luck. I don't wanna resort to spraypaint. Anyone have any clue where to get BB8700 custom housings?
    03-18-08 06:47 AM
    there is a company called colorware that could do that for you. check them out.
    03-18-08 07:18 AM
    its not the kkeyboard that makes the difference, its like you said the white backlight. the keyboard is just a plastic piece. those are white led's behind the keyboard instead of the blue. so you would have to change those, and they are soldered onto your phone so good luck with that
    All I can say for myself is "duh." Yeah, the white LEDs versus the blue LEDs makes sense, so as you said, changing the keyboard won't change the backlight. There is absolutely no way I'm going to do anything with the LEDs and soldering, that's way beyond my abilities.

For those who have swapped out the silver keyboard for the black keyboard, does the blue backlight show better against the black? I assume it does, but I don't want to assume anything.

mededitor
    03-18-08 06:58 PM
    I actually think the LEDS are white and the number on the keyboard are blue.?

This is correct. The backlight is definatly white. It's the key's transparent lettering that's blue on the silver model.
    03-18-08 07:29 PM
    This is correct. The backlight is definatly white. It's the key's transparent lettering that's blue on the silver model.

Okay, so I'm back to the concept of replacing my keyboard with the red version (if it becomes available) to improve my ability to read the keys, right? I'd prefer the black keyboard, but from what I've read only the AZERTY version is available and that wouldn't work for me (I'm too obsessive).

Thanks for the information.
    03-18-08 09:27 PM
    Okay, so I'm back to the concept of replacing my keyboard with the red version (if it becomes available) to improve my ability to read the keys, right? I'd prefer the black keyboard, but from what I've read only the AZERTY version is available and that wouldn't work for me (I'm too obsessive).

How long have you had your BB? If its been under 30 days maybe you should consider swapping it for the red 8830.
    03-18-08 10:11 PM
    I picked the red just because I liked the red. I had no idea the silver 8830 had blue-lit keys. If indeed it's just the keys that are tinting the light blue, I'd imagine that at some point the red replacemenr keyboards will be available.

I hope you're able to find one soon (and that these folks who say the light behind your keyboard is white are right, which I'd guess they are, given how bright blue LED's tend to be without resistors ahead of them).

03-18-08 10:21 PM

Did you ever find out that the red qwerty keyboard is available through cnn? In fact, the whole red housing is now available through them, if that's what you're looking for. Probably way behind the 8ball here, but I'm about to change mine out and am checking out my options.
    05-21-08 02:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD