Off topic. I've worked on a few Marines at Cape Cod. Great bunch. Me I used to jump in the puddles as a Corspmam in the CG. I got even smarter and now I'm out working with an anesthesiologist. Now with my C&C license I tote a little Glock30. Thanks for all you do for all of us.
    07-09-08 11:23 AM
    PIN is used for blackberry massager which is free for blackberry users with the data plan, it does not cost text messages. to find your PIN go to options then status
    07-09-08 11:23 AM
    Welcome to CB.
    07-09-08 11:25 AM
    Welcome! And thanks for your service.
    07-09-08 11:26 AM
    Pin is used for pin Messaging, similar to texting, other BB users and for BB instant messenger.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-08 11:27 AM
    Ok so I think that I understand what it is, so when i am in my message and I can select to create PIN that is the same as going into blackberry messenger?
    07-09-08 11:31 AM
    MR. MARINE... A PIN (Personal Identification Number) is the special number that identifies a person's Blackberry... no two are the same.

From a definition online:

"Essentially it’s like SMS (text messaging) for Blackberry’s, where the traffic stays inside the Blackberry network and doesn’t cross to email. So you can message directly between devices. ..."

Best of all, you are not charged per message as you would be with text messaging.

Go to your "home screen" on the BB, click on the "options" icon, and scroll down to "status." Click on 'status' and it will tell you 7 pieces of information about your BB...among them, your PIN number.

Also, you will appreciate this thread:

How to Free Up Memory on your BlackBerry Smartphone | CrackBerry.com

BREATHE.....
    07-09-08 11:45 AM
    A little addition to all this about DM... My DM recognizes my BB and puts the PIN in the lower left corner. BUT, when you go to Media Manager it does not recognize my BB. Therefore I can not download anything from my desktop to my BB. I posted a Topic on it in BB 8130, etc Forum and see a lot of people having the same type problem. They had fixes ranging from needing a MicroSD card to deleting upgrades and going back to earlier versions that did work.

I'm with you Marine... I think this BB is much smarter than the rest of us. This is the beginning of the "Machines" taking over the world! LMAO! GOOD LUCK and Semper Fi!
    07-09-08 11:46 AM
    How i have to do min eis going into BBmessager then hit the BBmenu button which is to the left of the track ball then add a contact then it will take u to the address book then i scroll up to [use once] then i hit the bb menu button again the request by PIN
    07-09-08 11:47 AM
    Ok so I think that I understand what it is, so when i am in my message and I can select to create PIN that is the same as going into blackberry messenger?
    I have used the "compose PIN" option on numerous occasions to PIN others, without using Blackberry Messenger. As a matter of fact, I deleted BB Messenger from by 8830. Therefore, it isn't necessary to PIN using BB Messenger, but not sure of what the difference is between the two.
    07-09-08 11:51 AM
    Once again all that i can say is that you all are awesome!!!

Now about getting the GPS to work and I think that i will be done bothering you all!!!!

Reminder I am on sprint
    07-09-08 01:16 PM
    Hey man, on the GPS, you should be able to just open up BBMaps and have it find your location. Make sure you have lots of Sky view though. My 8830 kinda sucks in the GPS department. A lot of people I've seen recommend a bluetooth GPS 'puck' you can find a load of info in the GPS forum. I use BBMaps, Google Maps and Nav4All depending on the situation and what I'm trying to do. NAV4all is nice free spoken directions with arrows and such. The maps on it are ghetto though but I don't care, that's what the other two are for. You can google them to find them pretty easy and they can all be installed OTA right to your phone.

There are also a few others out there, some free, most pay, I haven't tried any pay ones since I don't use them enough to justify the costs.
    07-09-08 04:46 PM
    Set the GPS to Location On under Options/Advanced/GPS, otherwise it won't work for location based services like BBMaps or Google Maps.
    07-09-08 08:06 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD