Hey everyone,

I'm really interested in purchasing this phone but have a question. My friend has the 8300 I believe it is and he said the GPS is awful. That you can't be driving and have to pull over and wait. I have a Tom Tom and it takes a few mins to find the satellites and must stay on the dash in the window. He said they DIDN'T do that. I'm just hoping someone can help, as this is probably one of the main reasons for me to purchase this phone. If the GPS is horrible then I'm not going to get it. Will it be as good as a tomtom? THANKS!
    03-03-08 02:59 PM
    To answer this question we will need to know your carrier. If it is Verizon - I would't purchase for GPS capabilities. However, I have had my 8830 for 3+ months and love every bit of it (minus some minor issues) Keep usinig your TomTom. GPS is it's sole purpose.
    03-03-08 03:09 PM
    The 8300 does not have GPS built-in to the device. The 8830 does, and it is quite accurate.

I have a different model, the 8310, which has built-in GPS, and side-by-side use with my dashboard Ford installed GPS, the BB is just as accurate and as the other.
    03-03-08 03:09 PM
    Sorry to clarify he has 8310. My carier is Telus in Canada.
    03-03-08 03:15 PM
    Well then he was wrong too about the 8310 delivering GPS. Your friend obviously didn't know how to use it, or his carrier had a horrible sgnal.

@jrbarrett, look at the OP profile... "Telus", not Verizon.
    03-03-08 03:19 PM
    Well that's what I figure, it was on Rogers but when I told him with Tomtom it had to stay in the window on so on he didn't know that, so that makes sense. My tomtom is in my boyfriends car that's why I like this for my own Justifies paying $299 for this through telus which im scared of because i hate not having sim cards! I change my phone like every few months :P
    03-03-08 03:21 PM
    I use google maps with mine and the gps works very well. Loads fast and is normally good to within 8-10 meters. I'm very happy with the way it functions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-08 06:12 PM
    I don't use the gps. I boght the Freedom Keychain GPS 2000 on ebay. It works on 51 satellite and it work perfectly with my BB. I recommend it to all. It works with the BB via bluetooth. So this way I don't use my data plan.
    03-03-08 06:57 PM
    Oh really? How does using the keychain not use you data? I thought that the data came from downloading the maps, not from GPS?
    03-04-08 03:41 PM
    I don't use the gps. I boght the Freedom Keychain GPS 2000 on ebay. It works on 51 satellite and it work perfectly with my BB. I recommend it to all. It works with the BB via bluetooth. So this way I don't use my data plan.
    HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    03-04-08 03:44 PM
    Pretty accurate to me and i love the traffic check!!! My portable one for my car does not do that!
    03-04-08 03:49 PM
    8800 with T-Mo UK here and my GPS is awesome.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-08 04:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD