When I recieve an wmv file in my email, it shows it is there but will not let me open it.
    Is there a way I can run it or open it to play on my 8830?
    12-10-07 09:50 AM
    It won't play wmv files.
    12-10-07 09:57 AM
    I was goofing around with mine to see if it would play wmv files. The first time, I uploaded a file directly to the card. It didn't work. When I used the media manager, it converted the wmv file to an MPEG 4 (In reality, windows media files are MPEG4 files with some different badges). Now the video plays and looks good.

-James
    12-10-07 02:51 PM
    I was goofing around with mine to see if it would play wmv files. The first time, I uploaded a file directly to the card. It didn't work. When I used the media manager, it converted the wmv file to an MPEG 4 (In reality, windows media files are MPEG4 files with some different badges). Now the video plays and looks good.

-James
    James,

Could you please explain what media manager and how you converted the file. I have an 8830, not sure how to do it. Thanks.
    12-10-07 03:28 PM
    James,

Could you please explain what media manager and how you converted the file. I have an 8830, not sure how to do it. Thanks.
    Sure thing. When I installed the Desktop Manager, it came with Roxio's Media Manager program. I start that program up. You should see a section for your computer and a section for the BlackBerry. Select from your computer which file(s) you want on the BlackBerry, then click the downward pointing arrow. It will ask you if you want to convert for "optimized Playback." Select that option and you should be on your way.

I've noticed that it runs the conversions for some files but not others. For example, I've copied WAV and MP3 files over with no problems. Video files (and I'm a media producer, so this is quite common in the industry) need some conversion or other massaging in order to operate on the BlackBerry.

Thanks,

James
    12-11-07 11:09 AM
    Sometimes I get emails from someone using AOL, and there are pictures or WMV's in them... how do you get to view them????

they are embedded??
    12-11-07 02:56 PM
    Sometimes I get emails from someone using AOL, and there are pictures or WMV's in them... how do you get to view them????

they are embedded??
    Yes, you have to select the attachment in the email to view it, like the pictures, etc. Larger files may need some special applications, like BeamBerry, to open them.

-James
    12-18-07 08:57 PM
    Hi

Suppose that I converted wmv file and played it in my blackberry. When I send the converted file to a blackberry user as attachment, could the file be opened straight from the device?
    Thank you for your time and effort.

Sure thing. When I installed the Desktop Manager, it came with Roxio's Media Manager program. I start that program up. You should see a section for your computer and a section for the BlackBerry. Select from your computer which file(s) you want on the BlackBerry, then click the downward pointing arrow. It will ask you if you want to convert for "optimized Playback." Select that option and you should be on your way.

I've noticed that it runs the conversions for some files but not others. For example, I've copied WAV and MP3 files over with no problems. Video files (and I'm a media producer, so this is quite common in the industry) need some conversion or other massaging in order to operate on the BlackBerry.

Thanks,

James
    07-19-08 04:15 AM
    I think it should work if it has already been converted

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-08 07:43 AM
    Does anyone know about WMV files that are protected? IE, I bought a DVD that included a digital copy... I entered a code for the software on the DVD to download it to my ThinkPad. There were two versions: a large file (for playing through WMP), and then a smaller WMV that included the characters "PORT" in the file name (portable player version)...

Anyway I copied this smaller file to the crackberry storm, and it says it can't play protected files...

Any ideas...? I mean I PAID for the darn video...
    Last edited by BillsBerry; 11-18-09 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typos
    11-18-09 09:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD