Hello All,
    I'm new to CB & have a 8830WE. I'm still learning what a useful tool I have. My question is- I cannot get an audible alert when I have a voice mail. As a Realtor on the move, I cannot always look at the screen. I have searched for help and even called Verizon for help. Still no help! Any suggestions?
    11-10-08 10:05 AM
    Check your Profiles. Go to Profiles and then Advanced and then edit your active profile. Then simply change your voicemail alert. Be aware that a BB will not repetedly notify you of a voice mail. In other words, if you set the voicemail notification to be a ding, that sound file that plays, will play once and that's it. The red led indicator will continue to flash for 15 minutes after that and then go out. This is how a BB functions. Also, by default a voicemail notification is turned on and set to something. If you've messed with your profiles or set it Viabrate, that indicates why you aren't receiving anything.

You might want to consider going to the Blackberry.com website and looking for a Help 101 online wizard for your 8830. They have them under the Help section and covers the basics of what you want to do on your BB. They also have complete user manuals on there which go above and beyond what the dinky VZW getting started guide does.
    11-10-08 01:09 PM
    I realize that Blackberries are unique and all... but I miss that auditory notification that keeps dinging until I've told it to stop. If I go out for a run without my berry I don't want to have to check it as soon as I get back to see if there are messages... I want the option of having sound notification.. I will check for apps that might offer this- but anyone know of one off the top of their head?
    12-09-08 09:46 PM
    ok- found what looks like a solution- the Handago "Blackberry Alerts" download. I searched for it on google and found rave reviews.
    12-10-08 12:57 AM
    Welcome to CB!

You might also want to visit the BB 101 series (link in my signature). It's a good place to start.

Enjoy your addiction™
    12-10-08 01:04 AM
    Rather than send the newb to the bb 101 tutorial, (which neglects to mention the fact that voicemail doesn't show up in the menu when you edit profiles) why not tell the newb right here in this here thread? Ok I will...

You have to set a notification for "level 1 messages" which is BB's fancy way of saying voicemail! Notice in my illustration, lifted from the BB 101 tutorial on profiles, the guy is editing a profile called "Bed Mode" and nowhere on the screen is the word voicemail to be seen. However Level 1 messages is right there. Pick it. Edit it. Then change it's "out of holster" behavior from none to vibrate or whatever you like.
    Last edited by r0k; 12-10-08 at 07:12 AM.
    12-10-08 07:08 AM
    Since you're new, Welcome to CB!
    12-10-08 11:39 AM
    SMS and voicemail are one and the same. Whatever you set for SMS, will alert when you receive a voicemail.
    12-10-08 06:31 PM
    SMS and voicemail are one and the same. Whatever you set for SMS, will alert when you receive a voicemail.
    I'm not sure about that. On my VZW 8830, I would get a vibrate for SMS before I went in and changed "level 1 alerts" from off to vibrate. I went and found "level 1 alerts" to answer this thread and because the last time I checked voicemail, I found a message that had been on there for 3 days and I've been wondering where this hidden setting lives so when another poster sent the newb to the 101 tutorial, I went back and reviewed that section of the tutorial again. And voicemail was not mentioned. So I searched google and found a post on howard forums that finally broke the news that level 1 alerts=voicemail. Something I really should have learned either here on CB or at BB.com's 101 tutorial but I somehow missed it.

I should mention that I have messaging set to none because I don't want my phone buzzing for each of the 300 emails I get every day.
    12-10-08 06:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD