Hi, i recently bought a 8830 off of craigslist.
    Bad idea in the first place.
    Been on the phone with verizon forever and 1st they said i needed a data plan no matter what, either the 25 dollar 10mb plan or 45 dollar unlimited etc.
    After an hour of being on the phone
    They informed me that the phone is currently locked because the previous account and been discontinued due to failed payment. And the phone will remained locked until the payment is fulfilled. They said their is no way for me to pay the bill either it has to be them.

I have the first name, phone number and i believe the address of the female who i bought it off of. Is there any way around this situation at all, possibly if i know someone who works at a store such as bestbuy in the phone department or anyway to fix.

Please help get me away from my razr, this beautiful piece of electronics is just sitting in front of me teasing me. Im already addicted.

I am contemplating calling back etc and asking her about if she plans on paying the bills etc or if i need to give verizon her real address and what not and maybe toy with the lie i wrote down her drivers license plate.

Thanks in advanced cant wait.
    07-07-07 07:40 PM
    If the person sent the item via UPS / FedEx / USPS you should have their full name and address on the packaging, no?

Also, was there a refund agreement? In addition, did you pay with PayPal? If you did, could you possibly challenge it via PayPal?

I would do my best to return it (since it was not sold as an 'active unit') and get my money back, then get another one elsewhere...

Yes, I know this does not help you at present. But, since the IMEI is locked, then you really can't do much. I sort of understand from Verizon why they won't allow you to pay the bill. But, to be honest you should NOT! I mean, come on, how much are you will to pay for this device? You've paid once already, no? Rhetorical, of course...
    07-07-07 08:45 PM
    Take it to a local Verizon Wireless store and speak with a manger. Take whatever paperwork you have documenting the sale of the device. If the device is no longer in control of the person owing money to them then they are bound by law to alow you to use it. The people on the phone are jerking you around! Demand stuff, don't ask them. Verizon thinks they own people's lives in today's world.
    07-08-07 10:55 AM
    JRSCCivic98 has a point here! That should hopefully do the trick...
    07-08-07 12:06 PM
    I just got my money back. it was off of craigslist and all. But im driving down to gilroy tomorrow to meet a pretty nice guy at the VZW store and getting it registered.

Im still deciding on the Data plan, because the lady on the phone said i NEEDED a data plan, there was no possible way to do pay as you go. Its 45 a month for unlimited or 25 for 10mb i really dont know how much 10mb really is so im thinking for the rest of the summer to do unlimited and maybe change down to 10mb plan when the school year starts again.
    07-08-07 04:43 PM
    Once you start using it, you'll get addicted, and then unlimited data is the way to go.
    07-08-07 09:43 PM
    I just got my money back. it was off of craigslist and all. But im driving down to gilroy tomorrow to meet a pretty nice guy at the VZW store and getting it registered.

Im still deciding on the Data plan, because the lady on the phone said i NEEDED a data plan, there was no possible way to do pay as you go. Its 45 a month for unlimited or 25 for 10mb i really dont know how much 10mb really is so im thinking for the rest of the summer to do unlimited and maybe change down to 10mb plan when the school year starts again.
    So let me get this streight, you got your money back, but you still kept the phone?

Also, where are you people getting these prices for the data from? Unlimited data is 45 a month if you get it bundled with a "non-blackberry" voiceplan. If you get one of the Blackberry voice plans it's only 30 a month. If you do your calculations you'll see that to get the same number of minutes + data from the seperate voice and unlimited data you'd be paying more overall.
    07-09-07 08:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD