Hey everyone, I'm hoping somebody can help me with this problem. Two weeks ago I finally got my first blackberry, decided on the 8830 cause I thought it was a pretty phone.
    Bascially I want to listen to my music through headphones while I am at the gym so I don't annoy others around me. I bought the 2.5mm-3.5mm adapter from Verizon for $4.99 that was supposed to be compatible with my phone (the website even says it is compatible with the 8830). I got it in the mail today and it doesn't even fit in the hole where the headphones would go. So I went to the Verizon store and the salesman told me there was no way to use headphones with this phone, that the only way to listen is through the speaker on the phone. He also says this is the same with the Curve 8330.

That didn't sound right to me so I was just wondering if anyone could help me out here; like I said this is my first blackberry so I know you guys probably know alot more about them than I do. I really want to find some way to listen to music through a set of headphones or whatever it takes.

Thanks in advance!
    04-15-09 09:49 PM
    The rep is full of it! I did buy the adapter and it did fit, but it only played out of one earbud.

Luckly, this girl i knew had a headset that was 2.5 and worked great.
    04-15-09 09:54 PM
    I've read that alot of people use the Verizon adapter which is why I was so suprised that it doesn't even fit in the hole on my phone. I even tried one of the headsets they had there in the store that would actually fit in the hole and the music still came out of the speaker.

This is really a bummer because I don't want to drag my phone and iPod around when I go to the gym.
    04-15-09 10:03 PM
    same thing here, i don't want to carry an ipod and a BB.

Go to radio shack, they have the adapters there for $5.

If not you can find a blackberry headset online for $19.99 with of course 2.5mm fitting.
    04-15-09 10:46 PM
    Thanks! I'll give radio shack a try. At this point I don't even care if it just plays out of one ear, lol.
    04-15-09 11:05 PM
    I did get the "size" adapter from Verizon and it fit and it played out of both ear pieces when used with my Shure earplugs. You obviously got the wrong version and the rep, as noted, was full of it.

I use the Motorola S9's Bluetooth for the gym. Verizon also sells wired ear plugs that fit and come with an adapter to UP-size for other phone jacks.
    04-15-09 11:44 PM
    My 8330 from verizon came with ear buds and they work great. They also double as a hands free device.
    04-16-09 12:03 AM
    If you don't like the information one rep gives, ask another, you'll probably get a different answer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-09 12:06 AM
    That's strange. My 8330 came with headphones, nice ones that have a mic and a switch so I can answer phone calls and/or use it to talk on the phone hands free.

Maybe it is exclusive to Sprint?

However, I don't like the ear pieces on it.

I had just bought a headphone set (from a Sprint store) for another phone I had before I got my BB that that had ear pieces that I liked, but the connector was a different size, but it had an adapter for the BB size, but when I tried to use it, it didn't work.

Fortunately, it had been w/i 30 days and I was able to take it back.

Anyway, I wanted a headphone set like those 2 that had the microphone so I could use it with my phone too, but I wanted the kind of ear pieces that go into your ear, not on it and I ended up going to Best Buy and finding exactly what I wanted.

But it was EXPENSIVE!
    04-16-09 12:13 AM
    Thanks! I'll give radio shack a try. At this point I don't even care if it just plays out of one ear, lol.
    DO NOT try the Radio Shack adapter. I bought one and it didn't work, and then I searched Crackberry only to find out that a lot of others had already figured it out first. Try the adapter from Seidio (modal ada-bb8100m35fst). Mine works great. The trick with this is that you have to insert the headphones into the adapter before connecting to the phone.
    04-16-09 11:36 AM
    DO NOT try the Radio Shack adapter. I bought one and it didn't work, and then I searched Crackberry only to find out that a lot of others had already figured it out first. Try the adapter from Seidio (modal ada-bb8100m35fst). Mine works great. The trick with this is that you have to insert the headphones into the adapter before connecting to the phone.
    I thought about getting the Seidio adapter, but now with the whole Verizon annoyance I am a little iffy to buy another adapter online.
    Idk, If the Verizon one didn't fit, maybe this one won't either?

I dont understand why they make it so difficult to put some headphones on this phone.

It might be worth visiting a different Verizon store to see if one of their sales people knows what they are talking about (although I won't get my hopes up) and can actually show me a product that will work.
    04-16-09 09:42 PM
    I also tried the Verizon store after the Radio Shack failure, and no joy. They did not have the adapter that I needed. I have had no problems with the Seidio adapter, and you can search the 8830 forums for information on this.
    04-17-09 07:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD