Hello all,

I just ordered my first BB, a 8830 Alltel model. I've used a Palm PDA and of course cell phones for years, but never used a BB. I have some questions which will be painfully simple and obvious, but I don't know a better place to go:

1) Do I only need the SIM card if I'm going to use the phone internationally? It's already got "built-in" CDMA, right?

2) I have email from the following sources: Hotmail, Earthlink, work email (Outlook), and University email (POP3 I think). Does BB work with all these, or do I have to hit the web to pick up the Hotmail stuff?

3) Can I use any features without getting a phone or data contract for it, e.g. can it be used on a WiFi network like a little pc?

4) What is the data plan for? Everything but phone service? Can you get a data plan without a phone plan with Alltel?

5) I already have a family plan and phone with Alltel. Has anyone gone through the process of switching phones with them while remaining on the same plan?

6) Does the BB desktop software do basically what the Palm desktop software does, i.e. allow you to view/enter your data on your pc then sync to your handheld?

Thanks for your patience and help (greatly needed).

Max
    06-09-08 08:14 PM
    Hello all,

I just ordered my first BB, a 8830 Alltel model. I've used a Palm PDA and of course cell phones for years, but never used a BB. I have some questions which will be painfully simple and obvious, but I don't know a better place to go:

1) Do I only need the SIM card if I'm going to use the phone internationally? It's already got "built-in" CDMA, right?

2) I have email from the following sources: Hotmail, Earthlink, work email (Outlook), and University email (POP3 I think). Does BB work with all these, or do I have to hit the web to pick up the Hotmail stuff?

3) Can I use any features without getting a phone or data contract for it, e.g. can it be used on a WiFi network like a little pc?

4) What is the data plan for? Everything but phone service? Can you get a data plan without a phone plan with Alltel?

5) I already have a family plan and phone with Alltel. Has anyone gone through the process of switching phones with them while remaining on the same plan?

6) Does the BB desktop software do basically what the Palm desktop software does, i.e. allow you to view/enter your data on your pc then sync to your handheld?

Thanks for your patience and help (greatly needed).

Max
    First off Welcome to Crackberry!

I dont have Alltel so ill try to answer to the best of my knowledge...

1 Yes the 8830 with alltel to my understanding is CDMA and i beleive you only need the sim when traveling internationally...

2. I beleive all of your emails will work with your BB fine... ( someone please correct me if im wrong)

3 with alltel im not sure if the plan is mandatory or not... personally a BB without a data is just a phone...not worth it IMO but if the device has WIFI capabilities ( which i dont beleive the 8830 is atleast not the VZW version) then yes you can jump on a wifi connection...

4 a data plan is for almost everythign on the blackberry with the exception of the voice plan (making and rec calls)... for web browsing, email, bbmessenger, 3rd party apps like Viigo and Jive talk etc etc... pretty much for everythign that makes a BB a BB...

5 i have gone thru the process with VZW and i assume with alltel it cant be much diff u just call them with the ESN info and they swap your plan and phone number over to the new phone...

6 yes i beleive so...

Hope this helps ya out a lil... i fig since alltel is being bought out by VZW it cant be much diff...
    06-09-08 08:38 PM
    Welcome to the addiction.

Here's a good post to start with to learn everything about your new Berry. Blackberry 101
    06-09-08 08:48 PM
    Sounds verrrry familiar.

I recently picked up the 8830 and if you're like me, you won't be able to keep your hands off of it! It will take a while to get used to the keyboard, but practice makes perfect. Just keep reading the threads in this forum (including a great one on how to get video on your berry) and you'll be hummin' right along.
    Great people and very good advice here.
    06-09-08 09:18 PM
    welcome to cb! i see you have jumped in with both feet. now, hold on tight.
    06-09-08 09:20 PM
    Welcome!!!
    06-09-08 09:27 PM
    Welcome Welcome!!!
    06-09-08 10:05 PM
    First off Welcome to Crackberry!

2. I beleive all of your emails will work with your BB fine... ( someone please correct me if im wrong)

3 with alltel im not sure if the plan is mandatory or not... personally a BB without a data is just a phone...not worth it IMO but if the device has WIFI capabilities ( which i dont beleive the 8830 is atleast not the VZW version) then yes you can jump on a wifi connection...
    He pretty much hit it dead on, but as far as i know and have been told, none of the CDMA Blackberry's have wifi.... well, as far as the 8130, 8330, and 8830...

And also, from what i remember, unless your hotmail address is 7 years or so older, you will have to pay to use the hotmail directly on your BB... But you can log in online for free from your browser... it has something to do with hotmail live and the older accounts... couldn't tell you much past that though!
    06-09-08 10:10 PM
    I added my Alltel 8830 onto my existing family plan. Answers from my experence:
    1. Yes. CDMA is standard.
    2. Gmail works fine for me.
    3. No wifi on the 8830.
    4 & 5. A BB w/out a data plan is just a phone. I added my BB w/ unlimited data for my line only to my existing family plan. It does not impact the family plan. It was without hassles.
    6. Pretty much.

I hope that helps. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-08 10:49 PM
    Thanks for all the replies and tips. If there are any other links I should check out, any Alltel plans I should check out or avoid, etc... please let me know. It's much appreciated!

Max
    06-10-08 07:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD