As we all know, the Blackberry more than handles your corporate email needs. But there are times when I have to access my computer at work if I'm on vacation or on the road. When I had my last phone (a Moto Q), I had found a free VNC program, and I installed it on my work computer and my Q. It worked okay, but the connection was tenuous and I got knocked off quite a bit.

I feared when I made the switch to Blackberry, I might lose that easy VNC viewer capability. No way.... by googling around, I found ROVE mobile desktop, and it works like a charm. The connection was pretty quick, the display was clear, and the functionality pretty good as well. (OTA download address is ota dot rovemobile dot com)

It's a 30 day trial, and thereafter it's $45.00. Just wanted to let anyone know that has a 'Berry or is contemplating getting one that this program is out there. I'm just relieved that with this and the Opera device, to my current knowledge, there isn't ANYTHING that this phone can't do that the Q did (besides take pictures, and I really don't care about that).
    02-19-08 12:13 PM
    I can't watch my Slingbox yet. I can't stream music or videos yet.

I know, I have a bad attitude towards Blackberry sometimes, but I just wanted to point those two out.
    02-19-08 12:21 PM
    You know what, I totally forgot about the streaming. That is something I wish the phone could do, and hopefully future upgrades will cover that. I was a pretty constant XM stream listener on my Q, so I ordered a portable player to cover the loss of that.

I never tried Slingbox, so that's not a loss to me. Hopefully again, as Blackberry is edging towards personal usage and not just corporate usage, that is something they'll address in the near future as well.
    02-19-08 12:32 PM
    Sling Media is most certainly working on a Slingbox player for the BB. It should be in Beta pretty soon, but I'd have to say the BB following in the aftermarket apps is not even close to what the MS based phones have. I think it's safe to say the BB is to a Mac as an MSOS Phone is to a PC. I can't remember the last time I was able to pick up a Mac and walk down the software isle and pick up any software I wanted and expect it to work on it like it does for a PC. Personally, I'm waiting on OS4.5 to hit the scene. If it doesn't solve a lot of these issues I think I'll be jumping ship to something else. I'm more of a Geek so I like the freedom of doing many things with my toys. I don't like having my hands tied like I feel I do with this BB.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 02-19-08 at 12:43 PM.
    02-19-08 12:41 PM
    Fair enough, my friend. On a scale of 1 to 10 of "geekiness", I'm probably a 5. So I've found after downloading a few 3rd party apps, I'm pretty happy. But if I were more of a hacker, I could certainly understand getting frustrated with some of the things that a Blackberry cannot do yet.
    02-19-08 12:48 PM
    Thanks RedBerry, I've been looking for a remote desktop for while now.
    02-19-08 03:54 PM
    Here is another one that I found the other day:

PCMobilizr - Access your PC from anywhere
    03-09-08 05:47 AM
    Rovemobile now want $595 PER LICENCE plus 18% annual maintenance ... Any one know of a free or cheap VNC viewer for Blackberry?
    11-19-08 06:54 PM
    It must be Resurect Old Thread Day today.
    11-19-08 08:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD