I am new to the Blackberry world. I came from the PPC WM phones. I have a couple of ideas for enabling GPS, just want to see if any of them make any sense or have been tried.
    1. From what I understand Sprints GPS works, Is this correct? If so what about loading the Sprint files on a VZW phone.

2. If VZNav is working other apps can access the GPS, has anyone tried to figure out how to spoof this. Make the phone think its connected?

Like I said new to the Blackberry, I have done stuff like this before on a 6700, not sure if it is a waste of time or has been tried, just checking before I try.
    02-21-08 07:55 PM
    To my best knowledge there is no way to spoof a bberry. Bberry data and such are all controlled by service books wich are carrier specific. This being said I wouldn't try loading any other carrier's software or firmware.

VZW has disabled the GPS and unfortunately that is the absolute answer. No GPS on VZW.
    02-22-08 09:58 AM
    1. Won't work. Been down this road to many times before.

2. Nope, of course you are welcome to try, you might just discover something another has not.

You got GPS working on the 6700?

@jrbarret, GPS is possible on Verizon, so statements like "No GPS on VZW" are just not true.
    02-22-08 10:11 AM
    Not on the 6700, It does not have a GPS Chip. But did get it working on a 6800.
    1. Flashing the sprint files to the VZW did not help. Didn't break anything either. So no harm.
    If your afraid to Brick your phone you will never get anyhting but a stock phone, you got to pay to play. So now to attempt to spoof VZNav. Happy hacking.

And jrbarret, nothing is impossible, maybey improbalbe, but there is always a way. We may never find it but it exists. I have heard impossible so many times when it comes to upgrades, only for a couple of months later the impossible exists.
    Last edited by bmtbandit; 02-22-08 at 10:22 AM.
    02-22-08 10:18 AM
    pfftt.. that is not a BlackBerry.
    02-22-08 10:19 AM
    pfftt.. that is not a BlackBerry.

No neither of them are, hence my inital statement about coming from the WM(Windows Mobile) world.
    02-22-08 10:23 AM
    Not on the 6700, It does not have a GPS Chip. But did get it working on a 6800.
    1. Flashing the sprint files to the VZW did not help. Didn't break anything either. So no harm.
    If your afraid to Brick your phone you will never get anyhting but a stock phone, you got to pay to play. So now to attempt to spoof VZNav. Happy hacking.

And jrbarret, nothing is impossible, maybey improbalbe, but there is always a way. We may never find it but it exists. I have heard impossible so many times when it comes to upgrades, only for a couple of months later the impossible exists.
    Other carrier's software on can be loaded on any BB from any carrier, but that's not going to unlock this. The "known" GPS functions of the 8830 on Sprint and other (which don't lock it) is known to work through the use of a PDE address. This PDE address is on the Qualcomm chipset itself, but VZW's is missing. VZW is very tight lipped about this IP and only gives it to their Location Based Services partners and developers to use it in their software (like VZNav). That being said, VZNav is the one that passes this IP directly over the network in order to request the data. The IP is never hard coded into the phone even while in use and because the LBS request procedure calls are encrypted from one app to another on the BB "piggybacking" won't work. That being said, if you or someone else can find the PDE IP for VZW we'll all be one step closer to the answer on how to enable this. That is needed before we go further.

Since you unlocked the 6700 perhaps maybe you have this IP. To my knowledge all CDMA phone are based on Qualcomm's gpsOne technology for GPS which is actually aGPS... so you would have needed this address to get the 6700 going. If you need to elaborate you could always PM me.
    02-22-08 10:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD