Has anyone downloaded the new version of Google Maps for the 8830? I downloaded it last night, and it gave me my position within about a 1/4 of a mile from where I was at, without entering in my starting position. Check it out when you can.
    01-02-08 03:31 PM
    What version is the "new" one that you speak of?
    I'm running 2.0.1 and it uses the cell tower triangulation method.
    01-02-08 03:45 PM
    Has anyone downloaded the new version of Google Maps for the 8830? I downloaded it last night, and it gave me my position within about a 1/4 of a mile from where I was at, without entering in my starting position. Check it out when you can.

As posted by madscientist, that is cell tower triangulation. It's not GPS but it gets you in the general vicinity...sometimes it will be close and other times it'll be off by a mile or so.
    01-02-08 04:02 PM
    Its version 2.0.1

Even though its not 100% dead on, but hey if its free, its for me. I am on Verizon, so this great.

01-02-08 06:25 PM
    Yeah, big breakthrough for Verizon. Don't rely on it to be very accurate but it's great for doing searches, etc.
    01-03-08 01:46 AM
    Just be careful with it though, as it does eat up your data plan time.

At least it does here in Canada.

BgDM
    01-03-08 07:17 AM
    just curios - I've been reading all the posts about how google Maps is free to use. I have AT&T and I've downloaded google maps to use, but is it REALLY FREE or are there hidden 3rd party fees?
    01-04-08 10:17 PM
    As long as you have an unlimited data plan it's free. It just uses data.

[Joke] Sike! Nope, I'm wrong, aliens will come down and take your first born for using it. [/Joke]
    01-04-08 11:44 PM
    awesome - i do hav unlimited data so now I won't be afraid to check it out! Thanks for the quick reponse!
    01-05-08 10:17 AM
    As posted by madscientist, that is cell tower triangulation. It's not GPS but it gets you in the general vicinity...sometimes it will be close and other times it'll be off by a mile or so.
    My Google Maps only triangulates when it can't get a GPS lock. Otherwise the position is within 10 feet. Pretty accurate.
    01-09-08 01:05 PM
    My Google Maps only triangulates when it can't get a GPS lock. Otherwise the position is within 10 feet. Pretty accurate.
    That's cuz Sprint aGPS is open to 3rd parties yo.
    01-09-08 04:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD