View Poll Results: Which map program do you prefer?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Google Maps

60 82.19%
  • BlackBerry Maps

13 17.81%
    I like good maps and the location feature is pretty nice. Directions work well and I've yet to use any sort of GPS adapter (if you need GPS you shouldn't be going there).
    02-19-08 01:20 AM
    I am going to play devil's advocate here. Although I like Google Maps, don't get me wrong, I find that in many instances, it just takes tooooooo long to connect with the GPS when compared to BB Maps. As a matter of fact, in many instances, I had to rely on cel tower triangulation rather than GPS.

With BB Maps, I find that although it still takes some time, I can use actual GPS coordinates which really is a bonus.

Any thoughts/comments? Especially about the LONG GPS connection times?
    02-19-08 11:00 AM
    No GPS here, but Definitely prefer GoogleMaps. BBMaps is no longer on my BB.
    02-19-08 11:04 AM
    Google Maps for me. I have a GPS receiver (I like the accuracy) and the app works quite well with it. GMaps would be even better if there were some way to do a "driver orientation" view as opposed to a flat map with the circle and arrow that moves across the map, though. But...hey, it's free and I can't complain there.
    02-19-08 11:08 AM
    Google Maps produces really nice graphics, and the satellite views are very cool, but BBMaps is often more practical. It updates screens much faster, sometimes 10 times faster. It shows the street you're on in big letters. I seems more able to hold a satellite signal than GMaps. When I'm at home (inside) GMaps usually shows me 2 km (more than a mile) away in the middle of the river and it seems content to leave it that way for a long time before trying to get a satellite signal.

I also like the fact that BBMaps can grab an address from your address book without leaving the application. I just tried it for a location far away from my that I previously displayed in GMaps (so the map is cached). It took about 5 seconds to find and display in BBMaps and about 45 seconds on GMaps. GMaps uses TONS of data. Fetches of 750 KB for a location not recently displayed are not uncommon. The same thing on BBMaps is about 5 KB of data.

The Show Traffic is cool, but it's useless to me in Canada because only U.S. cities are shown.

I didn't answer the poll (yet) because I use both, but for different things. I haven't yet been able to delete either one.
    Last edited by neilwick; 02-19-08 at 08:34 PM.
    02-19-08 08:32 PM
    google. for shizz
    02-19-08 09:38 PM
    The one reason I use BB Maps over Google Maps is that the BB Maps can pull from the Address Book. AFAIK, Google Maps cannot do that. Makes a big difference when I'm driving around and trying to use the BB one handed (yeah I probably shouldn't do that) and want to go to a destination that I already have in my contacts.
    02-19-08 11:56 PM
    google maps gets me lost more than not. it jumps around for me alot and i hate that. ill be going north, then it will put me south 3 miles from where i was, then bounce back, it just doesnt seem to work too good in my area. i want my bbmaps to work, but for some reason it hasnt been working lately! so im still using google maps... i find an address that im close to and do directions that way...
    02-20-08 12:21 PM
    They both are kinda wack, but I prefer blackberry maps.
    02-20-08 03:56 PM
    Am I missing something? I can only get GMaps to use the triangulation with the cell towers whereas BBMaps always uses the GPS.

Thanks

Josh
    02-20-08 07:10 PM
    I'm new and confused. Does the phone itself not transmit the GPS location? I see where some people were buying different transmitters. I know rather I use BBmap or Gmap, when I search for my location by satellite it just spins and spins. On Gmap it eventually comes back and says it temporarily can't find my location.

I am using an 8830WE through USCC. Any help would be most appreciated.
    02-21-08 10:03 AM
    google is the only way, with the 8310 and GPS it is nice!
    02-21-08 11:04 AM
    I like google maps for the detail but like BBmaps as it gives me coordinates and speed w/ direction of travel
    02-21-08 11:12 AM
    I'm still trying to decide which one I like better (USCC customer). BB Maps seems to be able to eventually find GPS, but I haven't seen Google Maps ever use the GPS. I like how accurate BBM has been, although directions seem easier to follow in GM.
    02-26-08 11:48 PM
    Sprint Telenav because it's included in my BB plan hehe. But after that it's definitely Google Maps.
    02-27-08 10:15 AM
    In addition to Googlemaps (which I love because of the graphics and satellite views), and BB Maps (which I seem to need running in the background to enable Googlemaps to work properly with my GPS puck), I've also downloaded Nav4All. It is free (for now anyway) and has voice directions! And very clear, basic graphics to keep you on the right path. Its downside is lack of any decent help manual..
    02-27-08 12:30 PM
    Google maps all the way.
    02-27-08 02:15 PM
    Google Maps often gives poor directions that take me an hour longer than necessary. For example on a recent drive from Savannah, GA to Valdosta, GA it took me down into Florida then back into GA. CRAZY
    02-28-08 11:17 AM
    Google Maps is MUCH FASTER when it comes to loading places, current location, directions, etc. however I like how BlackBerry Maps has real-time GPS Navigation - no turn by turn directions, but you can watch your current position move and have a speed given, etc., FREE.
    02-29-08 01:39 AM
    Assuming you've done the Bluetooth setup correctly, verify it by looking at Options>Bluetooth. Press trackball and it should show the Keychain GPS 2000 as a Paired Device.
    Then go to Options>Advanced Options>GPS. Press trackball and make sure that Keychain GPS 2000 is selected as the GPS Date Source. Verify that you have Location On for GPS services. Then save.

I haven't had much time yet to experiment, but it appears that GoogleMaps tracks much better (refreshes) if the BB Maps is already running in the background. Don't know why that should be! A really nice feature of the BB Maps is the option to Track UP so the map is continually repositioned to reflect the direction you're travelling.
    I have everything set as you describe, except I have GPS services set to "911 only" instead of "Location On" and it appears to work. Have you tried it with "911 only?" How did you know to set it to "Location On?"
    03-28-08 09:35 PM
    41:7 in favour of GMaps - wow. I love BB Maps, not to keen on Google...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-08 09:49 PM
    I would actually put in a vote for Nav4All. I find that while driving, I don't really need to look at the map in front of me. Voice directions, arrows pointing to go to the left or right, and street names displayed (unfortunately voice doesn't say street names, but heck, it's free) helps me keep my eyes on the road. Plus, it only needs the data connection when calculating directions, and the screen turns off to save battery, turning back on when it gets close to the next change in direction.

So:
    For findng exactly where I am on a map: BBMaps.
    For seeing a map with directions: GoogleMaps.
    For driving without distractions: Nav4All.

03-29-08 11:01 AM
    I like google maps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-08 03:17 PM
    I haven't had much time yet to experiment, but it appears that GoogleMaps tracks much better (refreshes) if the BB Maps is already running in the background. Don't know why that should be! A really nice feature of the BB Maps is the option to Track UP so the map is continually repositioned to reflect the direction you're travelling.[/QUOTE]

I've looked everywhere to see how to have the track up...I get dizzy and nauseous the other way...JK....Love to know how to enable that option!
    01-24-10 08:21 PM
    You have to have the GPS operating to be able to change the track. The option of track up does not appear if the GPS is off. Now turning on the GPS... that's another trick, but it works.
    01-24-10 10:14 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD