I have a BB 8830 WE and have downloaded the new version of Google maps (i used the old version extensively). So, every-time i try to launch the application it freezes the BB. I have to turnoff the power to get it to respond again. I have un-installed and re-installed 4 times . Please help. Thanks!
    11-29-07 03:17 PM
    oh my!
    I installed it for the first time today from the Google Mobile site (OTA) and had no problems.
    I like the intuitiveness of the program as I dont have GPS on my phone.
    11-29-07 03:21 PM
    I agree. I was looking forward to the Triangulation feature. The whole GPS debacle has been frustrating with Verizon.
    11-29-07 03:33 PM
    I have a BB 8830 WE and have downloaded the new version of Google maps (i used the old version extensively). So, every-time i try to launch the application it freezes the BB. I have to turnoff the power to get it to respond again. I have un-installed and re-installed 4 times . Please help. Thanks!
    Same thing happened to me. Tried it 4 times and no love. Had to pull the battery every time. Finally just deleted it. Maybe its just on the 8830? Who knows ..
    11-29-07 03:39 PM
    I hated the fact that the GPS was locked on the Verizon phone. I downloaded the google version last night OTA and it has worked without a problem. I watched it as it found my new location as I drove today. Pretty cool workaround.
    11-29-07 03:52 PM
    I have 8830WE and it works great
    11-29-07 03:52 PM
    I've installed it on my 8830 too, no problems...other than it's barely accurate...it seems to always max out that 5km range.
    11-29-07 04:08 PM
    I have a similar problem where is appears to lock up. I say appears because I found a workaround that works for me.

First of all, always go to the menu and exit from Google Maps. Never use the escape key. It always has trouble going back in if I use the escape key to exit.

Second, if it does appear to lock up (you click on it on the home screen and nothing happens), I use Alt+Escape to switch applications to Google Maps. It's actually running, it just failed to switch to it when I clicked on the icon. I also use the Alt+Escape combination to minimize the number of programs running.

Well, works for me anyway. Worth a try.
    11-29-07 09:12 PM
    Thanks Bulldawg, but that didn't work for me either. I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times now. It doesn't lock up anymore it just doesn't respond. I have tried installing via the Google Mobile updater application too. No luck. I have updated the BB system SW to the latest, as discussed on this Web site. Still no luck.
    Last edited by spacebud; 11-30-07 at 08:23 AM. Reason: typo
    11-30-07 08:22 AM
    I have installed it but it has been said before it is not even close nor does it show all the streets. I'm not sure what VZNAV will do but if all it does is show a map and some streets it is not that big a deal. The Nav unit in my car is far more useful.
    11-30-07 11:00 AM
    "I d the fact that the GPS was locked on the Verizon phone. I downloaded the google version last night OTA and it has worked without a problem. I watched it as it found my new location as I drove today. Pretty cool workaround."

I've downloaded Google Maps and it works just fine. However, it doesn't pick up my location at all. It's simply a mapping tool (ie Mapquest). Is there more to this than I'm aware of? Is there a way to get it to access the GPS on my phone?
    11-30-07 11:17 AM
    Update . I installed the new version of BB desktop manager (v4.3.0.15) and in the process it removes some junk from the BB thats apparently not needed. I then reinstalled Google Maps 2.0, and now it works. Must have been some old crap on there that was interfering. Thanks to all for the help.
    11-30-07 03:05 PM
    I had no problems installing it. I removed Google Maps in the BB Options menu, and then did a battery pull. Then, I browsed to Google, and clicked the link for maps an more. No problems.

I'm still unimpressed though. I still want my GPS. The cell tower triangulation is horribly inaccurate. It seems to get "stuck" in some of the same common spots, which I'm guessing are directly related to the cell tower positioning.
    11-30-07 03:25 PM
    I have had the same problem with my 8830. I was able to get it going again by the following steps:

1. Take out battery to reboot
    2. Go to Options/Advanced Options/Applications/Google Maps/Menu/Edit Permissions
    3. Set all permissions to "Allow"
    4. Save
    04-03-08 03:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD