I understand it has 64MB of internal Flash Memory (very weak) And i also understand you can install a 4GB MicroSDHC card to expand the memory, but does this expanded memory allow you to install more Apps? Or is this expanded memory strictly for media (i.e. music, video and pictures)
    10-06-09 02:37 AM
    I understand it has 64MB of internal Flash Memory (very weak) And i also understand you can install a 4GB MicroSDHC card to expand the memory, but does this expanded memory allow you to install more Apps? Or is this expanded memory strictly for media (i.e. music, video and pictures)
    Your sd card is strictly for media and files. You can buy an app called Aerize Card Loader which will allow you to store apps on your sd card and install them from the card, but they cannot run from the card.

You may want to read the How To Increase File Free thread in my sig, if you havent already. You can also use Shrink-A-OS to remove preloaded program and stuff that you dont use.

File Scout will allow you to remove all media as well as move it to your sd card.

Good luck!
    10-06-09 02:44 AM
    I heard that the a 2GB MicroSDcard is the largest supported by the blackberry 8830 World Edition. I saw something on the net saying that they are going to be supporting an 8GB MicroSD Card made by Samsung soon. Does anyone know if this is true or any other options to expand my memory past the 2GB?

10-07-09 02:13 AM
    With the latest versions of OS 4.5 you should be able to support cards up to 16GB or 32GB if I remember correctly.
    10-07-09 10:06 AM
    I've been running a 16GB card for a couple of months with no issues on OS 4.5.0.169. My understanding is that OS 5.0 and above will support a 32GB.
    10-07-09 10:35 AM
    So with 4.5.0.169 the 8830 can support 16Gig? And thanks jgutie6634 Ill have to check that out when im at work. Right now im messing around to see if my GPS is locked by verizon, I just removed the IT lock (very lame) Thank again Guys
    10-08-09 01:56 AM
    i have a 4gb in my 8830...i've ran it on .133, .160, and now i'm using .169....it worked with no problems on all of them
    10-08-09 09:09 AM
    The official word from RIM.

View Document
    10-14-09 12:55 PM
    I'm running a 8GB Sandisk card in my 8830. It works fine.
    10-14-09 07:55 PM
    Your sd card is strictly for media and files. You can buy an app called Aerize Card Loader which will allow you to store apps on your sd card and install them from the card, but they cannot run from the card.

You may want to read the How To Increase File Free thread in my sig, if you havent already. You can also use Shrink-A-OS to remove preloaded program and stuff that you dont use.

File Scout will allow you to remove all media as well as move it to your sd card.

Good luck!
    Where does one find the Shrink-A-OS? Reason, I was finally able to sync with the new DM for Mac and my flash memory plummeted. I am pulling the battery at least 2-3 times a day. I have deleted everything I can think of via the DM for Mac, but it wasn't alot of things I could delete.
    10-16-09 08:21 PM
    You're pretty much screwed.

.169 has great memory management but the chirp is really annoying.

Best thing to do is do switch application and close everything you can.

Goto options -> security options and turn on memory cleaner and run that every so often.

Also you can do ALT+LGLG and that will open event log. Press menu key and clear log and that will free up a tiny bit.

You wanna have at least 5MB of file free at all times.
    10-17-09 09:12 PM
    You're pretty much screwed.

.169 has great memory management but the chirp is really annoying.

Best thing to do is do switch application and close everything you can.

Goto options -> security options and turn on memory cleaner and run that every so often.

Also you can do ALT+LGLG and that will open event log. Press menu key and clear log and that will free up a tiny bit.

You wanna have at least 5MB of file free at all times.
    Thank you. I did the memory cleaner part. When I open the Alt + LGLG it brings up a ton of stuff with a warning. Is it going to erase anything I wouldn't want erased? ie. contacts/calendar?
    10-18-09 09:25 AM
    Thanks for the alt lglg tip. I'm almost always walking around with 0 filefree. Today I was able to to alt lglg, then clear the log. This got me 83k. Then I went to options->security->memory cleaning and turned it back on. Then I ran the memory cleaner icon and got 300k back. Nice. No battery pull involved. If I walk around with my phone using it for talking and reading email, I get to 0 filefree within a few days and it sits there waiting for me to notice and battery-pull. Then about 2/3 of the time, quickpull pro throws a java exception and I'm still faced with prying open my phone. So this alt lglg thing really helps a lot!
    10-19-09 03:20 PM
    Thank you. I did the memory cleaner part. When I open the Alt + LGLG it brings up a ton of stuff with a warning. Is it going to erase anything I wouldn't want erased? ie. contacts/calendar?
    No it won't erase anything.

It's just an event log.

Hit menu -> clear log.

Thanks for the alt lglg tip. I'm almost always walking around with 0 filefree. Today I was able to to alt lglg, then clear the log. This got me 83k. Then I went to options->security->memory cleaning and turned it back on. Then I ran the memory cleaner icon and got 300k back. Nice. No battery pull involved. If I walk around with my phone using it for talking and reading email, I get to 0 filefree within a few days and it sits there waiting for me to notice and battery-pull. Then about 2/3 of the time, quickpull pro throws a java exception and I'm still faced with prying open my phone. So this alt lglg thing really helps a lot!
    No problem.

Better tip: Hit menu -> switch application and close all open apps. I deleted BB Messenger because I never use it.

Home screen, bb messenger, browser, phone, messages will always be open.

Stuff like facebook, opera, etc use a crapload of memory.

You want at least 2MB of file free at ALL times and you will have to re-enable memory cleaning after every reboot of the OS.

.169 has miles and years better memory leak protection. However I find that the chirp on phone calls can be quite annoying.
    10-21-09 05:37 AM

Good luck!

i would like to read it may i have the link for it thank you

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-10 10:20 PM
    where can I get this Srink-A-Os from I am getting this message that I should delete some of the apps because my app memory is low
    04-01-10 07:27 AM
    Damn 6 months of inactivity in this thread and then 2 in one day.

i would like to read it may i have the link for it thank you

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series | CrackBerry.com

where can I get this Srink-A-Os from I am getting this message that I should delete some of the apps because my app memory is low
    Shrink-A-OS Download

I would also recommend reading the above thread as well as the BB101 Lecture Series.
    04-01-10 01:30 PM
    After reading this post, I'm a little confused. So, adding an external memory card will not improve the performance of the 8830 WE? The memory card is only for music, pictures, etc. right? I like the phone, but would like to upgrade to a phone with more memory, physical keyboard, world capable, and Wi-Fi and works with Sprint. Any recommendations?
    04-25-10 01:50 PM
    After reading this post, I'm a little confused. So, adding an external memory card will not improve the performance of the 8830 WE? The memory card is only for music, pictures, etc. right? I like the phone, but would like to upgrade to a phone with more memory, physical keyboard, world capable, and Wi-Fi and works with Sprint. Any recommendations?
    Hold off a little while. The 9650 Bold (or the Tour2 if you want to be truthful) is showing signs of being released anytime now.

Read in the this forum for more info - BlackBerry Bold 9650
    04-25-10 02:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD