Hey guys, I'm back with some more questions. So I have BIS, Exchange 2007 and an OWA. The only problem is that my OWA doesn't use usernames and passwords. We have an ID card that we insert into our computer, then type our password to gain access through OWA. So my question is can I still go through OWA or should I set up some sort of rule on Exchange 2007 to forward my emails to my Blackberry? Thanks again!
    04-06-08 11:47 AM
    The OWA username and password is the same as your Domain username and password. It's the account info assigned to your userid when you were first setup in ActiveDirectory.

Surely, you have to enter and userid and password into your PC when you log into it at work. That's more then likely it if the userid matches the fist part of your email. If it doesn't you'll still be able to set it up, but you'll need to run advanced setup on the BIS website and provide the unique username if it's different then the first part of your email address. You can get the server address info from your browser window. It'll be https://mail.whatevercompany.com/exchange usually, if setup correctly and if setup to use SSL.
    04-06-08 11:52 AM
    Yes, at work I have to enter my userid and password. But if I'm at home, let's say, I can go to OWA but I need to use my CAC (Common Access Card) card to log in. I am in the Army so we pretty much use our ID cards anytime we need to access something off of the internal network, like at home for example.
    04-06-08 12:05 PM
    Yes, at work I have to enter my userid and password. But if I'm at home, let's say, I can go to OWA but I need to use my CAC (Common Access Card) card to log in. I am in the Army so we pretty much use our ID cards anytime we need to access something off of the internal network, like at home for example.
    OK, so what. Doesn't matter what you do when you're at home. When you setup the email account in BIS just enter in the info you have for userid and password that you use at work. It's the same stuff. The only reason you're setup for Smart Card usage out of the network (like at home) is so that the userid and password cannot be keylogged if your system is compromised.

So, go into the BIS setup and match up the info. Enter your email address ([email protected] or whatever it is) and your password. If that fails, just go into the Advanced setup for it and user userid and password enter the info you use at work. Again, this is only if emailaddy part of email address is different then your userid you use. Do you understand? Here's an example.

Usual setup:
    User id: username
    Email address: [email protected]
    OWA Server address: https://mail.companyname.com/exchange

Possible setup (unique):
    User id: user.name
    Email address: [email protected]
    OWA Server address: https://mail.companyname.com/exchange

In the second example the basic BIS setup will fail because it'll try to use username as the login id, which is wrong because the login id really should be user.name. The basic "dumb" setup for BIS extrapolates the userid to use based on the info before the "@" in the email address. Since 90% of configs are this way, it will work, but for those that have a unique difference, they allow you to go into advanced to put in the exact info.

If none of this make any sense to you, just take the BB to your IT guys to set you up on BIS/OWA for email on it. Hopefully they'll know what they're doing.... :not holding breath:
    04-06-08 12:30 PM
    04-06-08 03:46 PM
    Good luck. If they are using an ISA server, more than likely you won't ever get a connection through OWA. One quick way to check is if your OWA url redirects to an address that has /CookieAuth.dll in it. Blackberry has documentation about this on their website, but this forum won't let me link to it. It is a common issue with OWA/ISA and Blackberry says they are working on it.

Your IT guy's hands might also be tied due to tight security policies. Especially since its the government. I know this is my situation. Forwarding to an external address usually violates the same policies.
    04-07-08 09:33 PM
    Thanks guys for the help. I have my IT officer working on it right now. I'll get back to you if it works or not.
    04-08-08 10:51 AM
    Good luck. If they are using an ISA server, more than likely you won't ever get a connection through OWA. One quick way to check is if your OWA url redirects to an address that has /CookieAuth.dll in it. Blackberry has documentation about this on their website, but this forum won't let me link to it. It is a common issue with OWA/ISA and Blackberry says they are working on it.

Your IT guy's hands might also be tied due to tight security policies. Especially since its the government. I know this is my situation. Forwarding to an external address usually violates the same policies.
    Good point. I completely forgot about the ISA possibility. I hope RIM gets on the ball with that one.
    04-08-08 11:02 AM
    Subscribing to this thread to get notified of any changes. Here's hoping they figure something out soon.
    07-21-08 06:21 PM
    Subscribing to this thread to get notified of any changes. Here's hoping they figure something out soon.
    OWA off Exchange 2007 works fine with BIS. The OPs problem was somewhere else... most likely the advanced security subsystems they had at his/her company.

What specifically is your problem. Perhaps you should start a new thread if your specific setup does not mimic the OPs.
    07-21-08 06:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD