I just received my new 8830 - replacing the Palm 700p. The issue I had with the Palm was that I could only receive emails if my desktop stayed on. I was told that would not be a proble with the Blackberry - apparently that's not the case. After spending several hours on the phone with Verizon, I'm told as follows:

1. Blackberry pulls emails from your ISP. This means that if the email is read, erased, answered, etc. on the device, your outlook will not reflect that change and vice versa;
    2. To have the changes reflected in your outlook, you need to use desktop redirect and leave the desktop on - same issue as palm;
    3. Only other option is to purchase blackberry server - too costly for my small business.

Is this accurate? Is there no way to get emails in Outlook and on the Blackberry to actually work together so that if I read an email on the blackberry it will be shown as read, erased, etc. in Outlook? What's the point of having the blackberry if you have to re-read all of your 50-100 emails in outlook the following day? Also, how can I track the emails I responded to or new ones I sent on my blackberry if non appear in outlook?

Does this make any sense or am I doing something wrong?
    06-13-07 12:43 PM
    1 = Correct, unless you're connected to BES (Corporate)...

2 = You basically sync via your pc and cable to the device, using Desktop Manager...

3 = Or, have it hosted. Better for small businesses, less cost, too.

Now, having said all that. If you create BIS email accounts, POP3 (you're allowed 10) there is an option to delete from the handheld & from your account, i.e. it will not show in Outlook when you collect emails there. Mark as read; well, you could just set a rule in Outlook to take care of that.
    Problem with POP3 (other than Hotmail / Yahoo & GMail) is that you get the emails on the BlackBerry every 15 minutes = Pull. As for Hotmail / Yahoo & GMail, it's instant! = Push

ps: Welcome to CrackBerry.com
    06-14-07 08:10 PM
    If you have an MS Exchange account that your Outlook is configured to check (corporate setup) messages change status as you read and delete them on the handheld. This is no the case with POP3 as navilyn has stated. I have 2 Exchange accounts and use the native BIS option to take care of my emails. Only thing that doesn't work at the moment is if I delete an email in Outlook it doesn't delete it on my handheld, but it works the other way around.
    06-14-07 09:17 PM
    Ok, that's helpful. As a follow up question, then, how do I set up either the BB or Outlook so that the changes in either one will be reflected in the other once I sync them through the desktop manager? This way I can sync each morning after sending emails at night so outlook catches up and sync again in the evening so the BB reflects the read, unread, erased etc... emails from Outlook? Or is there no way to do that?
    06-15-07 06:38 PM
    So is Hotmail push email free if I forward it via BIS?
    Does it also reconcile between the BB & Hotmail like it does on the vzw.blackberry.net email account?
    Thx.
    06-16-07 01:49 PM
    Hotmail only works if your account was created BEFORE 2000! If after you need to have Hotmail Plus...
    06-16-07 02:29 PM
    I'm having an opposite problem. I have a new 8830. My work e-mail is coming through just fine...working like brayys would like for it to...when I delete on my BB, it deletes off of my work e-mail server. But I also have a personal hotmail account..it's actually an e-mail account that I share with my wife. My preference would be to have another mail application on the BB where I can see my hotmail, but if I read or delete an e-mail, it doesn't impact what's on the hotmail server. I set up the hotmail through the verizon email, and it created another icon on my BB, but 2 problems: 1) those messages are showing up under my work e-mail icon AND the hotmail icon (I don't want them showing up with my work e-mail), and 2) if I read or delete the message, they show as read or deleted on the hotmail server. Can we have it both ways?
    06-16-07 04:50 PM
    Hotmail only works if your account was created BEFORE 2000! If after you need to have Hotmail Plus...
    I'm in luck then; I 'upgraded' to the Windows Live Hotmail thingummy a few months back, will that make a difference? Or should I switch back to the MSN HotMail option while it's still available?

Do I just enter my HotMail user ID & password on the VZW BIS page? Or should I forward it via the HotMail settings?
    Last edited by ofelas; 06-16-07 at 06:10 PM.
    06-16-07 06:04 PM
    No, no, just enter [email protected] and respective password. It should work fine (if account was before 2000!)
    06-16-07 06:27 PM
    Yup, I've had that Hotmail account since 1998 or so, I'll try it with the existing Windows Live Hotmail setting, if not, I'll click the InstaLink to "change back to MSN Hotmail"...thx!
    06-16-07 06:30 PM
    ;
    3. Only other option is to purchase blackberry server - too costly for my small business.
    Try this link
    blackberry.com
    /express/?cp=ILC-BB1
    07-13-07 07:42 PM
    You can also set up auto forwarding from your original hotmail to another, more useable email, i.e., yahoo, gmail, etc.
    07-15-07 12:48 PM
    Have read all comments. I'm a new BB user and also, alas, a lotus notes user at work (not Outlook). I'm having similar problem stated above - I read an email on BB but desktop does not recognize any of these emails as read.

Suggestions as to how to correct? Can this be corrected?
    11-21-07 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD