I would like to downgrade my phone from 4.5 to 4.3. Will this require me to wipe my device and have to go through the enterprise activation process again? my work uses the blackberry enterprise server (BES).
    10-06-08 01:29 PM
    Anytime you reinstall the OS, you will need to reactivate.
    10-06-08 01:38 PM
    Anytime you reinstall the OS, you will need to reactivate.
    This isn't correct. If you do the installation process while the phone is physically connected to the messaging system it will remain activated on BES. I have done it several times with the phone connected to my computer, Outlook running and my computer on our network via a VPN connection, after the install you just have to wait until it reactivates which could take quite a bit of time, maybe 1/2 hour.
    10-06-08 05:20 PM
    ^^^ What he said. (Little hidden secret.)
    10-06-08 05:33 PM
    It's my wife's blackberry - would I need to be working within DM on her laptop with Outlook open (is Outlook open a requirement?), or can I simply VPN in from our home computer and have Outlook Web Access open while downgrading?
    10-20-08 10:11 AM
    By the way, this is a Curve 8330 - does that matter?
    10-20-08 10:12 AM
    This isn't correct. If you do the installation process while the phone is physically connected to the messaging system it will remain activated on BES. I have done it several times with the phone connected to my computer, Outlook running and my computer on our network via a VPN connection, after the install you just have to wait until it reactivates which could take quite a bit of time, maybe 1/2 hour.
    Just making sure I understand... If my bb is connected via USB to my desktop PC with Outlook open and do an OS change, up or down, I only need to keep the bb connected and it will maintain the existing activation? Sounds so simple and wish I'd known that the last 3 or 4 times I had to do the BES Admin grovel.
    10-20-08 10:37 AM
    I overlooked sniperet's post on 10/6, but I'm glad to see it now, because it explains what I've experienced. When I wiped and installed from home, I had to get my IT admin to reactivate me. When I wiped and reinstalled while connected to the computer inside the firewall at work, I did not have to reactivate. I didn't realize that it was the computer connection that caused the difference until reading the posts above.
    10-20-08 10:58 AM
    I've wiped and re-installed while connected at work too and still had to be activated again. Maybe my mistake was to disconnect from the USB when the OS booted up and things looked normal.
    10-20-08 02:40 PM
    Interesting
    10-20-08 06:26 PM
    Have been scratching my head for about an hour as to why my BES account did not activate after the last OS upgrade. Just hooked up to DM and am watching it go through the activation process right now.
    10-27-08 01:18 PM
    Always an exception to the rule ehhh... I just upgraded to the Official USCC 4.5 version. The upgrade itself took the normal 1/2 hour. I've now been connected to DM via USB for an additional 1/2 hour and have seen no signs of activation yet.
    10-28-08 09:35 AM
    After an hour of nothing happening I finally had a new BES Activation sent. So maybe my setup is different than the ones that work? I don't know. I'm connected to the same LAN as the email server and the BES server.
    11-05-08 10:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD